Wiki Posts
Search

Short Course Body Mounting Tips

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)
Default Short Course Body Mounting Tips

Thought maybe we could post some tips on how to mount short course bodies. What do you guys do to prolong the life of your body? Shoe goo/drywall tape, locking pins, body washers, foam washers, magnets, velcro, dubro body clip holders, duct tape??? Also do you drill your mounting holes oval (rectangular shape) for chassis flex?

My kid is hard on bodies so looking for advice to keep them running. I shoe goo/drywall tape the mounting hole area when it's new and also the rear quarters. Seems to help.

Also any other clip options out there? I'm loosing clips frequently.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The best tip I can offer for prolonging the life of your body is......

Wait for it.

Wait for it.

Learn how to drive without wrecking.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:04 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by timannnn6
Thought maybe we could post some tips on how to mount short course bodies. What do you guys do to prolong the life of your body? Shoe goo/drywall tape, locking pins, body washers, foam washers, magnets, velcro, dubro body clip holders, duct tape??? Also do you drill your mounting holes oval (rectangular shape) for chassis flex?

My kid is hard on bodies so looking for advice to keep them running. I shoe goo/drywall tape the mounting hole area when it's new and also the rear quarters. Seems to help.

Also any other clip options out there? I'm loosing clips frequently.
It appears you've made note of all the things "to do," so it doesn't seem anyone is going to be able to tell you anything you haven't already thought of.
Obviously they all help, but at the end of the day not crashing as much is going to be the biggest factor in increasing body life and not losing body clips.

You need to remember, or maybe the point needs to be made with your son/daughter, that while you're having to replace bodies frequently it is saving you money not having to replace other parts on the truck because the body is taking the beating everything else that would if it was open-wheeled.
So while it's a trade-off, the bottom line is he needs to slow down and not crash as often. Too often I see bad driving habits result of any close-wheeled/full-fendered cars and trucks, and at the same time, since you mention it's your kid (along with you having to do the repair work) my advice would be that you start letting him pay for the bodies and start doing the painting and repairs. Nobody's every going to treat a truck as well as if they're footing the bills or having to fix what breaks.
That's my 2-cents worth, I'm sure they'll be others.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

I knew that was coming. How about "other" drivers learning how to drive. Most of the damage comes from hacks. My kid will drive for 12-15 minutes without 1 wreck. But he'll get hit half a dozen times.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

I use a little shoe goo in hard to reach places but mainly use clear duct tape. I look at where my old bodies would crack and rub and that is where I put the duct tape, I had a body last me almost a year before I had to replace it. Yes it adds weight but as much as I crash I need the strength LOL.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

LMAO yeah I cant do that though LOL so I need duct tape

Originally Posted by Farticus
The best tip I can offer for prolonging the life of your body is......

Wait for it.

Wait for it.

Learn how to drive without wrecking.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

I knew that was coming. How about "other" drivers learning how to drive. Most of the damage comes from hacks. My kid will drive for 12-15 minutes without 1 wreck. But he'll get hit half a dozen times.

tell him to stay away from the hacks LOL
Old 05-27-2013, 10:17 AM
Suspended

Other than what people will obviously respond by saying "that's shortcourse," unfortunately or not. It is what it is.
And not knowing your kid's skill level or that of the "hacks" you mention, it also could be that he might not wreck a lot but he could be slow and impeding the progress of others.

Using my local track for example, there are a few kids that race, and are decent enough, but they are also terribly slow, don't hold their line, and don't get out of the way, and race me for every corner even when they're a lap or more down. Every week it seems like I'm apologizing to one of them for wrecking them, even though it wasn't my fault, and at the same time trying to tell them that when I'm lapping them they need to get out of my way when I'm coming up on them like gangbusters because I can only try and not hit them but so many times.

** EDIT
At the same time, I just wanted to add that it appears this discussion is less about how to make bodies last longer than it is about poor or discourteous or rough driving, which is an entirely different discussion and subject matter.

I will add though, I got a full year out of my most recent SCT body and it's still hanging on the wall to use as a spare.

Last edited by jonzee; 05-27-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

look on youtube on how to make your own, and you can make them alot thicker. i know a guy that did it and made me two a little thicker than pro-line or jconcepts bodies and they last forever. My red bull one is beat and scratched to hell on the outside but no cracks or anything on the inside/fenders etc.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The shoo-goo and drywall mesh are all I know. I use them sparingly though.

4x4 SC is as much defensive driving as it is racing. You have to " know when to hold 'em and know when to fold em'".

I race against dudes and kids, some are multiple laps down. It's much easier and safer to follow them for a little and let them take themselves out. They're laps down for a reason........

I made my last SC body, JC truth V2, last almost a year. That's with racing atleast every week sometimes twice a week.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:52 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Just do all the things u mentioned
Old 05-27-2013, 11:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

also make sure that when the truck has the body on and you push the truck down to full compression chassis on the ground make sure the body isnt rubbing on the tires you may even want to turn your front wheels either direction and check for clearance
Old 05-28-2013, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Attach some body mounts to the nerf bars. A bunch of us did it to our SC-Rs a while ago. It really helps keep the body from flexing and eventually cracking.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gmoney16
look on youtube on how to make your own, and you can make them alot thicker. i know a guy that did it and made me two a little thicker than pro-line or jconcepts bodies and they last forever. My red bull one is beat and scratched to hell on the outside but no cracks or anything on the inside/fenders etc.
Along that same line, some bodies are available in .030" or .040" lexan. The thicker the better. Some are .020", and on a heavy 4x4 sct, they don't last.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

And for body clips... the ones that come with the Losi SCTE are quite thick. I think they are hard to get on and off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.