Wiki Posts
Search

Track layout ideas

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 09:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Track layout ideas

I have the opportunity to be in charge of building a track in the city park. I have a few ideas of what I like and what i want. I have a 50x100 ft area to work with. A water well and electricity are also right there. Is there any software or do you guys have any drawings of tracks you would like to build to help give me ideas. This will be mostly for 1/10 SC and a some 1/8 cars for the serious guys. We have good red clay, the county's equipment (skid steers, road graders, backhoe, etc) 10 ft lanes?
Old 05-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Being that it's in a City Park,

Be extra sure to get anything and everything in writing between the track and Park. Could become something that is needed later if someone from the City and/or Park decided to throw a few curve balls. If something is in writing, then you have something to porve what you are saying/doing. We have had that very issue here.

50x100? That's not a ton of area to work with. For most of the 1/10th classes (2wd and 4wd buggies, Statium trucks) it'll be ok. The SC's and 1/8th buggies will have a little harder time. It's going to be on the tight side for them. Our local outdoor track which is in a park is about 165x55 and it's for sure on the small side for the bigger scale classes. It works, but not perfectly.

10 foot lanes? For most of the 1/10th classes it'll be fine. With the bigger buggies and such, it'll feel tight at times. It kind of goes hand in hand with the overall track area that you have to work with. It all can be done, but understand that it may not be the perfectly ideal for everything. Don't forget to allow room for turn marshalls in the layout design.

Design wise? That's all open to your imagination. I think there are a few other threads about this very thing. I know there is a program that I have seen used, actually a couple, but I don't know the names of them or how to use them. I'll usually just go with pencil and paper. What I have done for a few tracks is sketch up a general lane assignment and a few key features on the layout and leave the rest open for discussion/interpetation of those that will be building the layout. Some things on paper don't always work out well in the dirt. One key thing to keep in mind is the flow of the layout. That's one of the most important things on a layout to me. You can have a layout that flows well with nothing super special jump wise, and racers will like it. You can have a layout with the coolest jump features around, but if the flow isn't there, racers will mostly likely not care for the layout as a whole. There's pleasing everyone, so you'll always have the complaints not matter what the layout is or isn't. Just do your best to keep the layouts fun for most and you should be ok.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Just look at tracks on Youtube and get the fast guys to help plan it..