hardcore nitro guy going electric

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 03:05 AM
Tech Master

The SS5800 is only a little faster then a 19t by the way..maybe even the same
Old 05-23-2005, 04:18 AM
Tech Adept

Really? Everyone around here says it's exactly like running a 10t brushed motor!
Old 05-23-2005, 09:05 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Team Duratrax

No Way is a Novak SS5800 about a 19-Turn! Maybe you were checkingout the SS4800 which is more like a high end stock motor?! A Novak 5800 is a more like a 12/13-Turn Brushed Motor but with extra torque. I own two and it's in my B4 and T4. Geared correctly, it's just fine for Club Racing. By the way, Novak has a prototype that was recently used at the On-Road ROAR Carpet Nationals. Apparently it's equal to about an 8-Turn Mod Motor from what was reported. The LRP Brushelss System is really something I'm looking forward to! It's supposed to be a 9-Turn Brushless Motor which is more than enough for my Off-Road 4WD kits!

As for the German Brushless Motors and Systems like Lehner, Hacker, etc. sure they are more powerful and faster... but who wants a motor that often coggs since theses are sensorless Brsuhless Motors?! Also, in 2WD racing.... tons of power and speed does not often equal winning. Maybe it does for drag racing.... but when you need precision and control... all that extra power is really unnecessary. Furthermore... the 2003 IFMAR 2wd World Championship was won with a 14-Turn Motor in a B4.... trust me. It was plenty fast.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:49 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I ran previously at a place where the novak brushless system was quite popular for modified racing. Starting off in mod I went with 19T power till I got used to it and honestly in 4wd buggy and stadium truck at least the 19T Reedy Quad Mag put out more than enough power to hold its own with the novak system.

Those running real racing mod motors in the 14 to 12 turn range would regularly leave the novak system in the rear view on the straights.

The thing about the novak system which is great is the torque it has, but, this too can be a bad thing depending on the traction you have on the track.

So i can see how it has been discribed as being slightly faster than a 19 turn as I have seen this.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Depending on how you gear the Novak SS5800... it can most definitley stay with 12-14 turn Mod motors in Off-Road racing. Some have a bit of a tough time getting used to it after running brushed motors due to the lack of drag-break... but after running a bunch of packs through it you get used to it and make adjustments with a bit more throtle control. In 4WD the Novak SS5800 is becoming quite a popular choice at the 2 tracks I race at most often. It's efficiency shines by allowing much longer run-times plus you can throw pack after pack at it instead of sitting and waiting in the pit for your motor to cool (or having to replace brushes, springs, cutting the com, etc.). Just some of the fantastic benefits of going Brushless... it's only going to get even better soon!
Old 05-25-2005, 08:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i have 2 5800 systems ive been running for about a year and a half, there a great system and ive found that battery voltage means everything with these. you put some 1.18-19 in and youll be hard pressed to exploit the novak, if its a slick surface then run some 1.16-.17,s to smooth it out a bit. bottom line is put in some really good batts. and you will have more than enough for a 10-11 turn.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:11 AM
Tech Master

Very true.Brushless systems love the high voltage packs
Old 05-26-2005, 09:19 PM
Tech Rookie

You can match batteries with a GFX. (one at a time)
Old 05-30-2005, 02:09 AM
Tech Champion

My friends and I have Team Losi Stadium Trucks MF2, surprisingly inferno mp777 , mbx5, ttr s3 guys cannot beat us. There is one guy using team associated B4 and his car is very very fast..... running like a rat!!!
Old 05-30-2005, 04:37 AM
Tech Master

What setup are you running? Is it a small track?
Old 06-01-2005, 02:52 PM
Tech Initiate

i am gettting a mf2 and am looking at brushless setups, do any of you have a good set up that would make it competitive in the modified class
ps. i am willing to wait for the reedy neo one...