Wiki Posts
Search

Another Redcat Backdraft 8e Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 01:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)
Default Another Redcat Backdraft 8e Thread

I'm looking to get a entry level 1/8 scale "E" buggy and I've been looking at possibly buying one of the Redcat Racing's Backdraft 8e Buggy. Now that they have been out for a few years and I understand that some things may have been improved upon or upgraded over the last few years, how have they held up or performed?

This is for guys that actually have one, so I'm looking for real world experience with the car.

I'm gonna use it to get used to 1/8 scale to see if I like it, I'll be taking it to practice at a local track, I'm not a basher.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hdmm
I'm looking to get a entry level 1/8 scale "E" buggy and I've been looking at possibly buying one of the Redcat Racing's Backdraft 8e Buggy. Now that they have been out for a few years and I understand that some things may have been improved upon or upgraded over the last few years, how have they held up or performed?

This is for guys that actually have one, so I'm looking for real world experience with the car.

I'm gonna use it to get used to 1/8 scale to see if I like it, I'll be taking it to practice at a local track, I'm not a basher.

Speaking from experience in working on them ( my HS is a RC authorized dealer) I can tell you honestly, pass on the 8E. Too many crucial parts are plastic and you WILL break parts.

Spend the extra money and buy the redcat hurricane. Much better quality, true 8th scale chassis and much easier to work on. It's a bit more expensive, but in the long run the quality will be better. But, that said, it's still RedCat.

Rc universe has the official RedCat thread and I would see what others say about the 8e before making a decision to purchase it.

Momo
Old 04-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

If you already like this hobby and want an 8th scale then do yourself a favor and skip the "entry level" crap. Just my .02 cents.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Skip the redcat and get a duratrax.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:44 AM
Tech Regular

I guess when I mean entry level, I mean entry level racer, not entry level radio shack RC. I've been in the hobby and have raced on and off since the late 80's (yes I'm old)

Anyways, I saw the Hurricane too, looks like a good deal, but I also came across the Thunder Tiger EB4 G3, which is more money than Redcat, but looks like it would be a better entry level 1/8 scale racer possibly.

All my stuff is 1/10 scale, I've never owned a 1/8 scale and I dont have $1200 to put into a full bore, factory team, high speed, low drag, full blown money pit race rig right now.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jtipsy
Skip the redcat and get a duratrax.
+1, way nicer then a red cat and better then the thunder tiger and parts will be cheap and easy to get.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

The HB Ve8 is a really good buggy too and cheap.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:52 AM
Tech Regular

I've had a few Duratrax vehicles, Evader truck and buggy a few years back, they were OK for what they were.

I've read really good stuff about the Thunder Tiger, they are connected to Team Associated somehow aren't they?