Search
Like Tree2Likes

Mid motor vs rear motor for U.S. Tracks

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
How many of you have a MM car? I have 1 ready to go and a 22 1.0. The Team C has as much traction on a dusty hard packed track has it's brother in RM but way more sidebite. Again IMO, but with a different drive style I am faster than RM in,middle and out every corner. Just try it really.
I've run an X Factory X-6 Squared for most of two years (recently sold it to clear space for an X-6 Cubed) and am still running an X Factory SCX-60CF. I actually stumbled upon the X-6 Squared while researching the Centro C4.1 and haven't looked back since. I am running a B4.2 while waiting for my Cubed to arrive and while it is fast, it isn't as easy to drive in loose conditions as my Squared (or a Cubed) is.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I have my RB6 MM and LOVE it.... Anyone try the 22 2.0 in MM yet? Might try the C4.2 as I have a b4.2 getting dusty.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Ran the MM setup again yesterday,

Getting better with more time on it. Track was about as good as it usually is and the car was a lot better with the .5 rear hubs on it. Felt a little more locked in, but not too much, off power.

Still have a little more to play/work on/with, but it's got promise. Thinking a slightly softer rear shock setup will be helpful when the track is looser, though it may also require the rear sway bar setup. Also my car was horrible with new or newish rear tires and molded foams. Worse than a Rm setup on the same track, which I kind of expected, but man was it a handful. LOL.

Got a few other racers that are really thinking of going to MM. One already did, and while he thought it wasn't a night and day difference, or the difference of him making the A main or not. He did think it was a little better for him over all. He got his first 16lap qual and got in the 18 sec lap range with his MM whereas he hadn't been able to do that with his Rm setup. I'm thinking his MM setup may have been just a little closer to a night and day difference. LOL.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 104 (100%+)

My opinion mid motor all the way. Idc if it's loose or high grip you have better balance and handling. People just need to spend some time and learn how to tune the mid motor. It's even a different driving feel that you hav to get used to too. Kinda like a 4wd buggy w no pull from the front.
People have been running rear for years and have stuff figured out and don't wanna learn on their own. I ran a 22 mid when it came out and did a test and tune on carpet... What I learned helped out when I hit the dirt. Was faster and more consistent on both surfaces... Only reason I went back to the rb5 was bc the losi diff sucked and shocks leaked. (22 was built like a tank an never broke even in the hands of all the guys that tried it)
Bought the rb6 ran it liked it both rear and even better mid, couldn't see having spent so much on a 2wd kit so even though I was a hair faster overall it wasn't worth the cash (needed another buggy for my kid brother). Now I am ready to buy a rb6 again and cruise w that mid set up.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ostach24
Kinda like a 4wd buggy w no pull from the front.
I had a chance this weekend to put down 10 or so laps with the Hobby-Pro PRS1 in MM config, and how you described it, is exactly what I said to the owner of the buggy afterwards. It had awesome grip!! More grip in almost all situations vs RM. I was able to drive it really aggressively (like a 4mod) and the harder I pushed it, the faster it went. I really dislike the 2wd buggy class because you have to be sooooo gentle with all of your inputs (throttle/steering) and the MM PRS1 was a huge surprise to me in how it handled. I race on a real dirt (pitchers mound dirt from what I'm told) track, pretty rough/bumpy, it's pretty damp most of the time, and sort of grooved up. You could tell that when you got into the loose stuff, you loose a lot of grip, really fast...but stay out of the marbles and the MM config was on rails!! I really liked it, and I may pick one up for winter indoor. (can't believe Im talking myself into running 2wd buggy again lol)
Old 09-25-2013, 06:07 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)
Default And now for something completely different..

Almost a front motor/rear drive?
Schumacher proto:

Old 09-25-2013, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That layout is some definite weirdness. The motor and the belt rotate the same direction as the wheels. I do have to give them some credit. They finally have a design that isn't a direct copy of what everyone else is doing.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:01 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by fredswain
That layout is some definite weirdness. The motor and the belt rotate the same direction as the wheels. I do have to give them some credit. They finally have a design that isn't a direct copy of what everyone else is doing.
Schumacher has always been a little "different". So much for placing the motor as close as possible to the rear diff, eh?

Also interesting is on RedRC's worlds coverage they feature several of the pro's mid motor setups and almost all are using saddle packs instead of shorty's (the Team C LM2 doesn't). Think it's for weight?
Old 09-26-2013, 01:00 AM
SH
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Rear motor will be the norm again soon enough.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
Almost a front motor/rear drive?
Schumacher proto:

This is a prototype for testing only...I was in line with the Schumacher guys tonight.................this is a one off....or actually a two off........only two in existence.......

They are just testing new layouts and geometry for future "far future" car possibilities.

Agreed....
Old 09-26-2013, 01:27 AM
Tech Adept

that schumacher sure is a strange bird. the battery puts a lot of static weight on the rear axle, but the mass doesn't appear to be concentrated very much with the motor so far forward. i would consider doing trans-motor-battery-diff with a driveshaft and bevel gears running over the top.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The motor and the belt rotate the same direction as the wheels.
Like all decent MM 2wd cars with 4G transmissions...
Old 09-26-2013, 06:31 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Davidka
Also interesting is on RedRC's worlds coverage they feature several of the pro's mid motor setups and almost all are using saddle packs instead of shorty's (the Team C LM2 doesn't). Think it's for weight?
Thought it was because many people brought batteries that were roar approved but not ifmar approved??
Old 09-26-2013, 08:44 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Mason
Thought it was because many people brought batteries that were roar approved but not ifmar approved??
Possibly. I don't know the rules for IFMAR/Batteries. I believe Oliver Sholz (Team C TM2) us running a shorty, I don't think that car would accept a larger battery.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Hideeho
My understanding of it (& I could very well be wrong) is that the shorty lipo rule (& other restrictive rules like no dish wheels in sc) are roar rules, & are not replicated for the rest of the world (or world championship) by ifmar or other governing bodies. In roars defence (I can't believe I just said that), that rule was put into play because of this:
http://www.redrc.net/2013/09/exclusi...ck/#more-71883
& this
http://www.redrc.net/2013/09/centro-...ck-conversion/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.