Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR 8IGHT E 3.0 THREAD >

TLR 8IGHT E 3.0 THREAD

TLR 8IGHT E 3.0 THREAD

Reply

Old 08-19-2014, 07:07 PM
  #2401  
Tech Master
iTrader: (83)
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sutter, California
Posts: 1,249
Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by TahoeDust View Post
It's pretty big...



I bought the buggy used and it came with the 2050. I have a 1800 in my 8ight-t I could try in my buggy if the 2050 is too much.
That is one wicked looking track.
dpcardoza is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:05 PM
  #2402  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 150
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

That dirt looks exactly like the dirt we have out my local track. Hard packed and when its wet pretty dang hooked up.
Dagolf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:11 PM
  #2403  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 150
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by XXXDad View Post
The 2050 set at it's lowest is still too much motor.... get a 1900 Unless you drive on a Monster track
I tend to disagree. I love my 2050, plenty of power when I need it. Some races can get close and on a big straight with a drag race to the end...ill take my 2050. Most guys at our track run a 1900, which definetly suites our track because its a bit smaller. Running the 2050 has taught me to be very smooth on the throttle as well. Too each his own!
Dagolf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:14 PM
  #2404  
Tech Adept
 
Razorbelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 132
Default

Originally Posted by InARush View Post
Anyone how important is the discharge rate C? How high a rating do I actually need? Does this affect how long the battery last?
_________________________________________________
Most get 50c - 90c, but not needed. I see pros run 5000mah 30c - 35c with 1900kv motors on the largest tracks around the SE, u get longer run time with lower c rating. If your battery runs too hot, you may need to get a higher discharge rate battery or lower esc settings.

Last edited by Razorbelly; 08-19-2014 at 11:10 PM.
Razorbelly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:05 PM
  #2405  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (22)
 
UN4RACING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MODIFIED!
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Here's a copy and paste that may help.? For starters, the C in C Rating stands for capacity. The C rating is the maximum safe continuous discharge rate of a pack. If you see 10C on your battery, it means it can be discharged at 10 times that pack's capacity. Capacity refers to the milliamp-hour rating of the battery, which will be listed as a number followed by mAh (2000mAh).

Here's the easy way to find your battery's discharge rate just multiply the number from the C rating by the pack's capacity. Keep in mind that 1000 milliamps equals one amp. Here's an example, using an 11.1V 2000mAh 10C

11.1 volt 2000mAh -10C
2000 milliamps = 2 amps
2 Amps x 10 = 20 amps continuous discharge

This means that you can safely draw up to 20 amps continuously from that 11.1V 2000mAh 10C without doing damage to your battery.

My self, I run 6700MAH at 100C
6700 = 6.7 amps X 100C = 670 amps continuously. Keep in mind this is over kill. I doubt I am even capable of pushing that many amps through my Gen2 and 1900. At best I would be lucky to pull 180 amps out of a pack at full throttle. In short I am not stressing my pack at all.
I am skeptical of C ratings personally. My guess is I am able to pull around 150 amps?

Now lets say I am able to pull 180 amps from my pack with my esc motor combo?
A 5000MAH 30C would not be safe to run with out stressing the pack if I am able to pull 180 amps.

5000 = 5 amps X 30C = 150 amps.

In short a 30c pack would not last very long. Yet at 150 amps it would be the minimum I could run with out stressing the battery.

To sum it up you need to know how much draw your ESC motor combo can pull from the pack before you can find the minimum C rating or weight of pack you are looking to dial in for.
UN4RACING is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:00 PM
  #2406  
Tech Adept
 
Razorbelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 132
Default

Originally Posted by dpcardoza View Post
That is one wicked looking track.
_________________________________________________
That looks like Tally...
Razorbelly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:04 PM
  #2407  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (5)
 
TahoeDust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 85
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Razorbelly View Post
_________________________________________________
That looks like Tally...
Indeed it is. I actually have not run the track since it was all redone a few years ago. I am just getting back into things. Just converted my 8ight-T to brushless and picked up a 8ight 3.0 E. Hopefully I will get a chance to get out there this weekend and see what's what.

Are you in Tally?
TahoeDust is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:09 PM
  #2408  
Tech Adept
 
Razorbelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 132
Default

Originally Posted by TahoeDust View Post
Indeed it is. I actually have not run the track since it was all redone a few years ago. I am just getting back into things. Just converted my 8ight-T to brushless and picked up a 8ight 3.0 E. Hopefully I will get a chance to get out there this weekend and see what's what.

Are you in Tally?
________________________________________
No, in Mobile Al
Razorbelly is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:19 AM
  #2409  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 95
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Now that I have had some track time with my 3.0 - two race days (just getting into this), I have experience the same part failure three times and I am not sure what is causing it. Specifically, the shock shaft has popped out of the shock end causing the spring retainer and spring to come off. This has happened twice on a rear shock and once on a front shock.

Yes, the shocks were assembled correctly. What would cause this? My droop is about 100 in front and 110 in the rear. Is this too much? Could the landings be too rough?
cdraughon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:50 AM
  #2410  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (22)
 
UN4RACING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MODIFIED!
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by cdraughon View Post
Now that I have had some track time with my 3.0 - two race days (just getting into this), I have experience the same part failure three times and I am not sure what is causing it. Specifically, the shock shaft has popped out of the shock end causing the spring retainer and spring to come off. This has happened twice on a rear shock and once on a front shock.

Yes, the shocks were assembled correctly. What would cause this? My droop is about 100 in front and 110 in the rear. Is this too much? Could the landings be too rough?
Are you putting a little locktite on the screw that holds the piston to the shaft?
UN4RACING is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:54 AM
  #2411  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (27)
 
symmetricon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: houston
Posts: 4,862
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by cdraughon View Post
Now that I have had some track time with my 3.0 - two race days (just getting into this), I have experience the same part failure three times and I am not sure what is causing it. Specifically, the shock shaft has popped out of the shock end causing the spring retainer and spring to come off. This has happened twice on a rear shock and once on a front shock.

Yes, the shocks were assembled correctly. What would cause this? My droop is about 100 in front and 110 in the rear. Is this too much? Could the landings be too rough?
The shock shift is pulling out of the shock shafts end where it mounts to the a arm? Are you limiting the droop at all with the droop screw?
symmetricon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:44 AM
  #2412  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (202)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: St Louis
Posts: 8,139
Trader Rating: 202 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by symmetricon View Post
The shock shift is pulling out of the shock shafts end where it mounts to the a arm? Are you limiting the droop at all with the droop screw?
He already indicates his droop settings.

It is not a droop issue it is the actual part. The shock ends are soft and the threads become compressed causing the pull out.
dodgeguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:58 AM
  #2413  
Tech Master
iTrader: (20)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rochester,IN
Posts: 1,176
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Call Horizon Hobby customer service and they will take care of you. Make sure you bottom out the shaft into the eyelet. Seen lots just thread it on till it covers the threads but it will thread in several turns more from there. Hope this helps.
RandyJones is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:00 AM
  #2414  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (8)
 
Cement head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Ocean State
Posts: 166
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Is anyone running the Jconcepts carbon fiber towers on their 3.0e?
If so whats your thoughts as to advantage or disadvantage?
I picked up a set and they look really pretty and are beafy. Have not installed yet.
Cement head is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:12 AM
  #2415  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (154)
 
ta_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,510
Trader Rating: 154 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by UN4RACING View Post
Here's a copy and paste that may help.? For starters, the C in C Rating stands for capacity. The C rating is the maximum safe continuous discharge rate of a pack. If you see 10C on your battery, it means it can be discharged at 10 times that pack's capacity. Capacity refers to the milliamp-hour rating of the battery, which will be listed as a number followed by mAh (2000mAh).

Here's the easy way to find your battery's discharge rate just multiply the number from the C rating by the pack's capacity. Keep in mind that 1000 milliamps equals one amp. Here's an example, using an 11.1V 2000mAh 10C

11.1 volt 2000mAh -10C
2000 milliamps = 2 amps
2 Amps x 10 = 20 amps continuous discharge

This means that you can safely draw up to 20 amps continuously from that 11.1V 2000mAh 10C without doing damage to your battery.

My self, I run 6700MAH at 100C
6700 = 6.7 amps X 100C = 670 amps continuously. Keep in mind this is over kill. I doubt I am even capable of pushing that many amps through my Gen2 and 1900. At best I would be lucky to pull 180 amps out of a pack at full throttle. In short I am not stressing my pack at all.
I am skeptical of C ratings personally. My guess is I am able to pull around 150 amps?

Now lets say I am able to pull 180 amps from my pack with my esc motor combo?
A 5000MAH 30C would not be safe to run with out stressing the pack if I am able to pull 180 amps.

5000 = 5 amps X 30C = 150 amps.

In short a 30c pack would not last very long. Yet at 150 amps it would be the minimum I could run with out stressing the battery.

To sum it up you need to know how much draw your ESC motor combo can pull from the pack before you can find the minimum C rating or weight of pack you are looking to dial in for.
This is the kind of post that, while the information may be literally true, the content is not helpful in answering the question. It actually confuses people who are starting out and may take the amp ratings literally.

The reason it is not helpful is the disconnect between continuous C ratings and the actual current draw of a car in racing conditions. Yes, the ESC may be rated at 120 amps continuous, but you never see 120 amps continuous in a race. Yes the motor may be rated for 100 amps continuous (with adequate cooling, but you never see 100 amps continuous in a RC car.

Point of fact: if a 1/8th buggy was drawing 100 amp continuous, you could only race 3 minutes on a 5000 mAHr pack. Yet many people get 10-15 minutes on a 5000 mAH pack and still have something left in the battery. I know from experience (in recharging a pack after a timed run) that my first E8 with a Neu 1512 motor drew an average of 18 amps over a 10 minute run. So even though that motor was rated at many thousands of watts, it was drawing less than 300 watts on average.

The continuous C rating and the motor ESC amp ratings are essentially irrelevant when looking at how many amps your motor/esc/car can draw. For two years I ran my E-8 on a Thunder Power 4300 mAHr 25C pack. Any high quality 40C-50C rated pack of reasonable capacity (4000-6000) should be sufficient for the current setups in E-8s.

Last edited by ta_man; 08-20-2014 at 06:16 PM.
ta_man is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service