Search
Like Tree10Likes

TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0 Kit Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 03:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thunder Trail
90 min enduro!!!! That sounds interesting. I think you can wear out a 2-3 sets of tires and be ready for a complete rebuild after that race. Is it on carpet or dirt? One driver or team?
No teams every racer for themselves
90 mins non stop
Must take body off to change batt
6600 2s max
Most laps wins
Last year one guy did it with 3 packs
He was running a 2 pole ballistic I think
Winner used 5 packs tenshock
Here's the layout where running now
https://www.facebook.com/rcracing/videos/939256882771621/

https://www.facebook.com/rcracing/videos/939256882771621/
Old 05-09-2015, 09:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thinking about the Kyosho post earlier made me question myself.

WHAT TRUCK AM I RACING?

I started with Kyosho in the late 80s, yeah I'm and old kid. Right from the beginning I used Tamiya and Yokomo light wt hardware and tires that worked on the local tracks in Japan. Even the Tamiya Gold Motor made its way among trinity motors used to win frequently.

I'm a tinkering motor head and just like my full size Trucks, the mods are parts from any thing that looks good, works better, last longer, weighs less, runs faster and sometimes cost less. Can't remember last time that cost less one worked out for me.

All these different parts really blur the lines of what car or truck I'm racing, but we all do that with upgrades that often come from several manufacturers. The Kyosho shocks on my X-Factory buggy, which is already a mix of it's own, is a good example. Those K shocks are still near or at the top as the best ever made.

On to the SCTE. What Truck am I racing???? It has parts/products from TLR/Losi, MIP, Tekin, Hobby Wing, Airtronics, Bearings from all makes, Vision Racing, ByPass one, Pro Line, AKA, Kyosho, Traxxas, CEN, Tamiya, Parma, GOOP, Gorilla, SMC, Orion, Tekno, Robinson Racing, XRAY, Much More Racing, 3 Racing, Ofna, Radio Shack, JConcepts, Deans, ProTek, and Parma. I know there must be a few more, but thats all I could think of without going to the workshop.

I'm sure most of you that have been in the hobby a while can make a list like this for your Truck. After a while the lines get so blured about what Truck I'm racing that I program it on my radio as MIP, Losi 1, SCTE, TLR 2.0, BCE 1, SNR, Pro8 or Jammin.

So, even though I might call my Truck a Losi or TLR 2.0 or just 2.0 when bench racing. About the only stock parts still used no matter what config it is today are gear boxes, diff housings, Gears, Out drives, a arms, shock towers bumpers and body mounts. Wow, I should have started with the few Losi parts and skipped buying the kit Something to think about.
sounds like some of our setups,more a/m parts in it than losi by the end,durability and performance 100% better
Old 05-10-2015, 01:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ResultsRC
sounds like some of our setups,more a/m parts in it than losi by the end,durability and performance 100% better
I can't say 100% better. I can say it was really good stock V1, fun as a Pro4ormance, exciting as a Pro8 and a labor of love as I found parts to address the issues that drove me crazy on the 2.0 rig. Must have owned no less than 6 SCTE rigs of some sort over time. They say there is a cure for this RC stuff, but I'm only looking for more of it.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slippery Dan
The track I'll be running is very loose. What is a good current setup to use? Hopefully I'll be able to tell from this whether there are any new parts I'll need to pick up.

Thanks.
Anyone?
Old 05-10-2015, 09:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Anyone?
The right tires are going to be key, get that and your 3/4 of the way there IMO. I'm running the latest Dunford heavy sway bar setup basically but I'm not on a low grip surface. I would probably put the 2.0 standard box setup on it and get the right tires and tune from there if it was mine.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:28 AM
Tech Addict

Anyone?
Depending on whether the track is technical or fast, a lot of jumps or few, those thing will obviously matter greatly on your best tune. For me a good flowing piston like pn rt# M2C7125 pistons combined with panther boa super soft tires. Those tires are nothing special in looks, but all the fast guys run them in my area and they just flat out work on any surface rough or smooth.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:20 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Josh L
Depending on whether the track is technical or fast, a lot of jumps or few, those thing will obviously matter greatly on your best tune. For me a good flowing piston like pn rt# M2C7125 pistons combined with panther boa super soft tires. Those tires are nothing special in looks, but all the fast guys run them in my area and they just flat out work on any surface rough or smooth.
Aka enduro and JC goose bump work well too on top soil.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I did some thread searches and couldn't find an answer so I apologize if they have been asked before.

1) I am trying to set my front wheels with toe 2 degrees out. I have purchased a RPM toe gauge but still find it next to impossible to adjust my toe other than just eyeballing it.

a) Is there a set up board that can be used and maybe a little easier than the RPM gauge?

b) Can you adjust the toe by measuring the steering tie rods? If so does anyone know the length to get -2? Stock is 98.5mm but I don't know what degree of toe that gives you.

2) Not sure if even I can word this question correct so I understand if no one takes a stab at it. I have been racing for a year and a half so I am still learning about R/Cs and tuning them. I have never really been one to make a lot of adjustments since I just focused on running cleaner laps(no wrecks) and improving my lines which usually helps me move up in qualifying and consistently challenge for top 5 finishes. I listen to other racers and they are always talking about all these adjustments or saying things like I need more steering etc. I don't really know what I am looking for when making adjustments or even looking for adjustments that might help me. I usually just adjust the way I use my throttle (trigger) to make sure I don't loose control of my vehicles. I was wondering if anyone can suggest websites, books or magazines to read that can help me understand what I am looking for and the adjustments. At this point I don't know if I need more anti-squat or bumpsteering etc. I know nothing replaces experience and I have read Petit R/C quite a bit since they have good explanations and define all the terminology really well. Can any one suggest other sites that will help speed up the learning process?

I guess to sum it up, I don't know what I am really looking for and just adjust my driving to whatever the truck can do. This past weekend I was running some of the cleanest lines I could and was still .200-.500 per lap slower than the other fast guys. So I think it is time to start trying to see if I can find additional ways to shave a little more time off each lap.

I know one suggestion would be ask some of the local fast guys but I am consistently battling Tekno SCT410 trucks for podium finishes at all the tracks I attend so that isn't really an option. I have other racers coming up to me asking for set up advice but I am clueless and honestly just try to drive my truck as fast as possible with clean, tight lines around the track. I adjust the way I race by whatever my truck can do and not the other way around. The rest is a complete mystery to me

Thanks,
Old 05-10-2015, 03:03 PM
Tech Addict

The front toe is tricky to me as well, there is so much play up there that its almost impossible to get it right with a gauge IMO, I too use a gauge and eyeball it and get it as good as I can. The Hudy offroad setup book helped me with alot of the terms used and what different things are and what they do. It isn't SCTE specific but doesn't matter as they are all very similar. You can download the Hudy book in PDF form here-
http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...6b7dd92822915b

Hope that helps.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:23 PM
Tech Regular

I can't say 100% better. I can say it was really good stock V1, fun as a Pro4ormance, exciting as a Pro8 and a labor of love as I found parts to address the issues that drove me crazy on the 2.0 rig. Must have owned no less than 6 SCTE rigs of some sort over time. They say there is a cure for this RC stuff, but I'm only looking for more of it.
could you go into some detail on what some of those parts are you replaced,most of us know the obvious, king headz,mip,tekno mandatory stuff,but i didnt recognize alot of the brands you listed as being typical scte upgrades.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Thanks Dan, I downloaded the PDF and I am reading it now. Looks like a good resource and will help a lot.

Thanks again,

Originally Posted by Dan.J
The front toe is tricky to me as well, there is so much play up there that its almost impossible to get it right with a gauge IMO, I too use a gauge and eyeball it and get it as good as I can. The Hudy offroad setup book helped me with alot of the terms used and what different things are and what they do. It isn't SCTE specific but doesn't matter as they are all very similar. You can download the Hudy book in PDF form here-
http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/products/p...6b7dd92822915b

Hope that helps.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A2Racing
I did some thread searches and couldn't find an answer so I apologize if they have been asked before.

1) I am trying to set my front wheels with toe 2 degrees out. I have purchased a RPM toe gauge but still find it next to impossible to adjust my toe other than just eyeballing it.

a) Is there a set up board that can be used and maybe a little easier than the RPM gauge?

b) Can you adjust the toe by measuring the steering tie rods? If so does anyone know the length to get -2? Stock is 98.5mm but I don't know what degree of toe that gives you.

2) Not sure if even I can word this question correct so I understand if no one takes a stab at it. I have been racing for a year and a half so I am still learning about R/Cs and tuning them. I have never really been one to make a lot of adjustments since I just focused on running cleaner laps(no wrecks) and improving my lines which usually helps me move up in qualifying and consistently challenge for top 5 finishes. I listen to other racers and they are always talking about all these adjustments or saying things like I need more steering etc. I don't really know what I am looking for when making adjustments or even looking for adjustments that might help me. I usually just adjust the way I use my throttle (trigger) to make sure I don't loose control of my vehicles. I was wondering if anyone can suggest websites, books or magazines to read that can help me understand what I am looking for and the adjustments. At this point I don't know if I need more anti-squat or bumpsteering etc. I know nothing replaces experience and I have read Petit R/C quite a bit since they have good explanations and define all the terminology really well. Can any one suggest other sites that will help speed up the learning process?

I guess to sum it up, I don't know what I am really looking for and just adjust my driving to whatever the truck can do. This past weekend I was running some of the cleanest lines I could and was still .200-.500 per lap slower than the other fast guys. So I think it is time to start trying to see if I can find additional ways to shave a little more time off each lap.

I know one suggestion would be ask some of the local fast guys but I am consistently battling Tekno SCT410 trucks for podium finishes at all the tracks I attend so that isn't really an option. I have other racers coming up to me asking for set up advice but I am clueless and honestly just try to drive my truck as fast as possible with clean, tight lines around the track. I adjust the way I race by whatever my truck can do and not the other way around. The rest is a complete mystery to me

Thanks,
Easiest way I've found to set toe and camber is to use a set of wheels that you know are straight and no tires. Toe can be measured with calipers or a machinists ruler. Push the wheels out at the front to take out the slop in the linkage before measuring. Also make sure your steering links are the same length and adjust both sides evenly.

You might want to look at JQ- the guide for setup info. Not too technical but good info. He explains more by how the car will feel instead of theory like some setup guides.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...b3FhU2M%2Fedit
Old 05-10-2015, 06:48 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rcgod
Easiest way I've found to set toe and camber is to use a set of wheels that you know are straight and no tires. Toe can be measured with calipers or a machinists ruler. Push the wheels out at the front to take out the slop in the linkage before measuring. Also make sure your steering links are the same length and adjust both sides evenly.

You might want to look at JQ- the guide for setup info. Not too technical but good info. He explains more by how the car will feel instead of theory like some setup guides.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...b3FhU2M%2Fedit
Good info....helps me some too. Thanks
Old 05-10-2015, 07:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Setting Camber and Toe to a squishy rubber wheel mounted on thin plastic has bothered me so made a tool that I like better. I took a square of plexiglass and cut it in to four pieces to make some "Square wheels".

I take all my measurements with those mounted to the car. Thing to keep in mind is that you have a 90* angle on the front and bottom of the blocks, and you drill through all 4 so they are equal in height.

Toe can then be done with a camber gauge just lying flat on your setup board or table. Just draw a straight line across the front and lineup the fronts of your wheel blocks to that.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Thanks,
I am just over a year into racing as well and know exactly what you are saying here. I feel the same, most of the time I spend at the track is trying to run clean consistent laps. one thing that I have found in the past is having a more experienced racer watch you drive your car, and make suggestions of what changes could help you, and explain what you are trying to achieve by making those changes. Other than that I would just focus on driving smoother, and not worry about setup changes.

I am just now getting to the point where I can notice things that I would like my car to do differently to help me be able to be faster. And it is sometimes difficult to tell the difference between "am I as the driver doing something wrong" or "should my car be doing something different" to make you faster in a certain part of the track. But once you know where you want your car to improve you can start looking at setup guides for what to change to get that desired result. Also when following a faster driver, try to notice where they are faster than you and what do you need to do to be faster in that area. If you try to go faster in a certain corner and your car does ______, go to the guide and see what changes you can make to help with that, make a small change, and then see if it made your car do what you wanted it to do in that corner, and try to see if it had any negative affects in other areas of the track.

I hope this makes sense, like I said I'm just now starting to notice different things I would like my car to do to allow me to drive it harder/faster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.