Search

Tekin P-12 Pro Fet - brakes seem painfully weak

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 05:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Tekin P-12 Pro Fet - brakes seem painfully weak

Hey guys,

I've dusted off my old RC10 Graphite Team Car from years and years ago, and have started the process of refurbishing it (and doing some modernization along the way...). Today's task was re-calibrating my P-12 ESC.

Well, long of the short - I followed the setup procedure to the T. Adjusted torque to a target voltage of ~0.75v, neutralized out all the settings on my radio (crappy old Futaba T2PCKA), then did the "quick calibrate" process.

Everything works fine, except the brakes. They're definitely present (you can notice the effects when taking a full-lock turn at speed), but even coasting it at 5 MPH on carpet, the brakes do little to nothing. Hell, they can't even hold the car still on a slight (~10 degree) incline.

I've been out of this for a moment, and could really use a hand in diagnosing what could be the issue. I've tried re-calibrating the ESC with the throttle trim set to its maximum setting hoping to raise the brake floor a bit, but that has had no notable effect.

My only thoughts at this point are it being a limitation of the radio (which I don't recall being an issue years ago), as there are no throttle adjustments available other than the reverse switch and trim knob.

One thing I've begun to wonder is whether or not the motor's timing could be off. It's an old Speedgem Onyx 14-turn double-wind motor that, to the best of my knowledge, has never had its timing modified. Looking at the motor initially, I can see what looks like an index mark on the plastic cap (between the power terminals) but I've never had to make such an adjustment before.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-21-2013, 05:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Classic, sounds like a blown FET dude.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HeavyD99
Classic, sounds like a blown FET dude.
Bah, crap. Seriously? Is that even something I can tackle with moderately decent soldering skills?

I pulled the motor and found the can's 0-degree mark on the other side. Even after re-alignment, the problem persists (it was off by about 1mm).

I've got a Traxxas ESC/brushless/LiPo setup a friend gave me a few days ago but was really hoping to use them in something else (especially given that it's an 8.5 turn motor, which seems insane for this car). Not to mention I was kinda hoping to have a truly vintage setup to dick around with at the track.

Anything else to try? I also tried only applying 50% brakes during the calibration process, but alas, no difference.

Also, mods - please move this thread to Radio and Electronics. Didn't see it earlier. Thanks!