Wiki Posts
Search

NEED HELP FINDING A GOOD DURABLE RC CAR/TRUGGY

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 05:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Default NEED HELP FINDING A GOOD DURABLE RC CAR/TRUGGY

Hi,
I've recently got really interested in RC cars, and i want an rc car, or truck, or anything really that could take some heavy ramping , go off road in like tall grass, like not 3 feet grass or anything, just like a grass that hasn't been cut for a while, hah. my price range is about 250$ USD, i would also like something upgradable, preferably electric.

I have a like 5 ft tall hill that i would like to ramp it off of, but its a driveway at the bottom, so it would have to be able to take the jump and land on concrete and not break, even after numerous jumps, and theres also a staircase next to it i would like to ramp it off of, so it has to be like pretty durable. 300$ is my absolute max, but i was looking for 150 - 250$ range

preferrebly brushless because im somewhat new to rcs, so something i wont have to do much or any mantaining.
thanks so much!

btw: what are some good websites/youtube channels to learn a lot about rc cars? i would really like this to be my hobby
what about
rcplanet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ASC9050
or
rcplanet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ASC7047

Last edited by EricFries; 01-06-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

good, durable, RTR and $250 don't go together...
Old 01-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK
good, durable, RTR and $250 don't go together...
I figured that, but i meant something good durable and ready for that price, im not trying to buy a 1200$ rc for 250
Old 01-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Im sorta in the same boat as you... only I have owned about 70 different R/C's...

I am not a racer.. I want a Truggy ELECTRIC kit.. Im not looking to buy a nito and convert it.

To the OP.. Look into a Stampede... Great starter truck.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Tech Initiate

You can get a brushed slash 2wd for for a little over $200. It is extremely durable, but tends to be a little back heavy coming of jumps since the motor is in the back. Mine was always able to get through grass that was uncut for some period of time, but was noticeably slower in the grass. One trick is to reverse the tread of the on-road tires it comes with. You could also use a thick diff oil which will give it a positraction like effect. Both will help getting through tall grass. Also it is very up-gradable. For example a company called chuckworks makes low center of gravity chassis that will help keep it from rolling over and moves the motor forward to better balance the truck.
But the truth is you might be happier paying $400 for a 4x4 slash which comes with a brushless system, is better balanced, up-gradable, just as durable, and won't be fazed by the tall grass.

As for youtube users there's a guy called djmedic who has done just about everything you can do with rc cars. He has over 500 videos i think.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

best i can tell you is look into used stuff. if you do buy used make sure you know who your getting it from. try to stay away from people who dont have good feedback. if you find one in your area and can look at it make sure you look it over good and figure out what kind of driver the guy was. that will give you a good idea on how it was treated. stampede would be a good starting truck and you can usually pick them up pretty cheap
Old 01-06-2013, 08:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

U need to find a used ebuggy etruggy