Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The ONE class to rule them all...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 03:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

We love 4WD short course open and 2WD Stock buggy in Western Slope Colorado.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It looks like all the suggestions indicate why there is no "one size fits all" class. Everyone has their preferences, and clearly they'll suggest their fav as the solution. I don't think a single class would help either.

I have a 2wd buggy, a recently rebirthed stadium truck, a 4wd buggy, e 8th buggy and truggy, 2 and 4wd SCTs, an SCB and 3 on road cars. You either go with the flow or you don't race. We have a local forum and talk about what we want to run at the next race. If some of us decide to visit another track we check to see what's popular there. I highly doubt we could change their minds about running any classes. They race what makes them happy. If we want to run with them we bring an rc that fits.

The only class that's the same everywhere and seems to do what you guys want; VTA. So until a tightly confined class that can run on big or small tracks, appeals to different folks for different reasons and is still fun/competitive you'll be hard pressed to succeed with the idea. Blinky too slow, 1/10th too fragile and so on comes to mind... I hate to sound so negative but; good luck
Old 12-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Tech Elite

That is because the caster USA site is down. I got tired of paying $2-300 per week getting viruses fixed. Having a TDE editor and x cart and v bulletin all on the same server was a huge problem which is part of the reason we have chosen to use PayPal for additional security. Hope to be up and running again next week. Someone mentioned it was a bad time to be down. I disagree since the vast majority of our customers are diehard racers. They are buying presents for their families instead of replacement kits and parts. Sucks but a financial win for the moment.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NolanP
according to your pictures you only have one spot for camber links? How does that work? What happens if the car pushes or the is too loose?

If i bend aluminum its also a lot more expensive to replace and can easily effect the handling and performance.

I would be curious to have a conversation of design at a later moment.
I'm not sure what picture your referring to, as the most current car/parts has vertical ball stud mounts. Albeit with only one camber link mount in the front in/out, and in rear it has two on the rear hub and one on the inner mount. The rear hubs are also adjustable for bone plunge angles. With the new hubs/mounts I haven't yet wished for more mounting locations. The geometry is well sorted now.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

We did a stampede conversion very close to the Hyper 10TT, but better IMO. One of the funnest cars to drive. The only problem....its my Son's...lol

He just got an 1/8 E-Buggy so maybe I can borrow it now. Too bad the class died out.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Wish 1/10 truggy would take off in my area. Some praise the hyper 10tt for it's durability, and others are exactly the opposite. Either way both parties said it handled very well. Looks durable and it has a ton of features that look good on paper.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by imbsbiaoy
In my experience in R/C, one of the biggest problems and benefits of the sport is the amount of classes that are raced. We have 3 popular scales: 1/8, 1/10, and various minis. Then we divide them into types: open wheeled buggies, open wheeled trucks, and closed wheeled trucks. Then they are divided further by specific class rules... stock, blinky 17.5, mod, etc. This can be good for areas that have good turn outs, but devastating for small tracks. If everyone raced the same style vehicle and class we would see better competition and prices for that style vehicle would go down. Classes could get broken down by driver ability rather than the vehicle body.

What do you think is the best ALL-AROUND CLASS? To me this is tough, because although I love 2wd buggy more than anything... it is not the best all around class. There are many factors to consider when looking at this other than just they way it looks or handles a specific environment.

Here are a few qualities that I think are important to create the best racing class:

-Ability to race on both large outdoor and small indoor tracks
-Handles rough/ loose conditions well. This makes going to an outdoor track and practicing actually fun.
-No need for tire wars
-No 'parachute' effect
-Durable

I think 4wd short course trucks with 2.2 truck tires and whatever body you want to run, be it buggy style or truck style or going with 1/10 buggies but upping the minimum weight (so manufacturers will make them a bit beefier) and allowing wider tires (so tires don't wear so fast). 2wd SCB would be great too!

What do you think would be the best all around off-road racing class both indoor and outdoor?
How about another qualifier: A set of rules so solid they've been largely unchanged for 20 years.

1/8th Nitro buggy is the F1 of offroad Rc IMO. Long races, cool pit stops, solid fair rules.

Since you specify "indoor", I guess 1/8th Ebuggy would win.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The problem with having one class to rule them all is that the humans behind this hobby is more varied than the variety of cars and configurations that are available. That's why there are so many configurations.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
How about another qualifier: A set of rules so solid they've been largely unchanged for 20 years.

1/8th Nitro buggy is the F1 of offroad Rc IMO. Long races, cool pit stops, solid fair rules.

Since you specify "indoor", I guess 1/8th Ebuggy would win.
I agree completely about the longer races in the nitro class. I wish we would do the same in e-buggy.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:13 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

IMHO my choice would be 1/10th scale stadium truck, mod or stock...
Thankfully it is coming back in my neck of the woods...

But I agree with most the one "Go To" class otherwise would be 1/10th scale mod buggy. If you can drive that you can drive anything! I sadly cannot...
Old 12-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 241 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MX304
I agree completely about the longer races in the nitro class. I wish we would do the same in e-buggy.
Why can't you? Battery change pit stop? In 2011, we participated in a 3 hour endurance race, all but 1 team finished and it was not due to an overheated motor.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:12 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitro_mt_racer
Why can't you? Battery change pit stop? In 2011, we participated in a 3 hour endurance race, all but 1 team finished and it was not due to an overheated motor.
It is feasable, but @ an indoor track it wouldn't work really because soon enough the other classes would complain about not getting to run longer mains or complain about having to corner marshal a longer main...

Somebody would complain either way...
Old 12-11-2012, 09:35 PM

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

"My" best all around class is Stock SCB. I love running this class more than any other. After that, it would be Stock/Mod Truck. If you're referring to what is the best all around class for the hobby in general (in regards to manufacturers, tracks and hobby stores), it would have to be 2WD Short Course Trucks. Its typically one of the largest classes at most tracks and likely has brought more new people to the hobby in recent years than any other.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:14 AM
Tech Elite

I don't think too many classes is the biggest problem in the hobby. Racers actually race more than one class to get more track time in.

I would say cost/time consumed per the amount of time actually racing the cars is.

At a large event, you get 3 or 4 five or six minute qualifiers and then a main event. Although the race entry fee (average $45) for that much time is actually low, each class you run has about $1000 invested as equipment, travel expenses and such.

I think the hobby needs a more a more efficient, less time consuming way of qualifying drivers and seeding them for longer main events. Massive time is spent running multiple rounds of qualifying, you would think more time would be spent racing the mains, since they are supposed to be more important.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thecman26
It is feasable, but @ an indoor track it wouldn't work really because soon enough the other classes would complain about not getting to run longer mains or complain about having to corner marshal a longer main...

Somebody would complain either way...
We don't run indoors so that would not be an issue. We were going to try it at one race this year but about half the field only had one battery for their car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.