Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best buy for <$200 for 11 year old son?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Please stay away from Redcat. Parts availability is the number one thing to look for when getting started and even more so when you are just going to be bashing around. Like suggested before the Traxxas Slash is hard to beat for the money along with the ECX vehicles. Only downside to the ECX stuff imo is they lack the level of aftermarket support you get with Traxxas.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Duratrax Evader RTR kit - Losi sold them their designs and molds for the XXX-T trucks, which were world class back in their day. ~170ish with everything you need (including a Duratrax branded radio built by Futaba). They use materials that are a little cheaper than the stuff losi used, but it's really a nice truck, and the price is right. Still pretty competitive now. It really is a steal...

Or the Traxxas Slash 2wd. The standard basher.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Traxxas slash or an sc10 if you think he would be inclined to race it. Both have parts stocked almost every LHS.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

I just bought an RTR (brushed) SC10 fro my son through Tower Hobbies.

• SC10 RTR Kit = $199
  • Tower Hobbies Super Saver membership = $9.99
  • Super Saver discount -$30 and free shipping.

So for essentially $180 I got him a great RTR truck shipped to my door that can be both bashed and is a race worthy truck. Granted the SC10 isn't as bash worthy as a Slash, but as a Short Course truck it's tough and the parts availability is very high.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXXRC7**&P=7

All you need is a battery and you're ready to go. You can get a 4000 Mah Lipo through Hobby King for $19.99 and you're completely RTR for $200

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Old 12-11-2012, 06:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

SC10 over the Traxxas if you ever plan on racing.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:45 PM
Tech Regular

Location: Lake View Terrace, CA. ~ Where Rodney King got his Asswoopin!

What ever you do DO NOT get a REDCAT!!! I have 2 of them ( the Monsoon & Shockwave ) I got them both brand new out of the box.( thank goodness the shockwave was given to me)( LOL.. The Guy who owned a local store had his whole christmas order shipped to my house by mistake last year. 36 redcats. Of course I gave him his shipment and as a reward he gave me a shockwave.) They are garbage. lucky for me I had someone show me better brands. Other wise I may have given up on this great hobby. Unless you want your Son pissed off at you DO NOT buy a redcat.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R.Shackleford
This is where you really have to know how mature you kid is. I got my first hobby grade r/c for Christmas when I was 8. It was a kit and my father and I spent the next few days building the kit. We took the electronics out of his old Tamiya Rough Rider to get it going. All in all it was probably a couple weeks later before the car was all ready to run. I still remember the last thing that needed done was to paint the body. We laid down several coats of Daytona Yellow, then headed off to grandma's house to keep my mind occupied while it dried. Later that day I got to run my Christmas gift for the first time.

For Christmas when I was 13 my dad got me another kit. This time I wanted nicer stuff electronics wise because it was a car just for the track. So I got the kit for Christmas, and again we spent the next couple days putting it together. It took until my birthday in March of scrimping and saving every bit of money I could to get all the stuff together to have the car ready to hit the track. The deal with my dad always stood, whatever money I could raise, he would match it.

A kit not only taught me how to work on the car, but patients too. Now when I get a new car I don't slam it together Friday night, paint a stupid one color body, just to race it Saturday and have the thing handle like crap and fall apart. Instead I show some self control. I show up a couple weeks later with a car that is perfectly built, painted with my paint scheme, a fresh set of the right tires for the track, and a car that works well and stays together.

If your kid is mature and mechanically inclined a kit might be a good option, if he/she is more of the run and gun type an rtr will probably make them happier.

Either way with you guys being new I would not recommend anything used. It will be more of a hassle than the small amount of money you might save. Not to mention giving a used thing as a gift. It would be one thing to get a used car, fix it up, then give it to him. But at this point in time you don't have enough time to do that. If you want to see that look on his face a new kit or rtr is the best way to go.

Personally, I would recommended a Traxxas 2wd Slash. Big, durable, waterproof, and you can get parts just about anywhere. I would wait on the brushless as an upgrade for his birthday. I also don't know much about the Exceed stuff. Personally I would stick with a Traxxas for a new venture in this hobby.
+1 on that. If you just want to get your kid started and even interested, an RTR that gets the most support, parts wise, would be your best bet.

I was a bit technically inclined growing up, so my first wad a kit. If your kid can follow instructions, and is fairly handy with basic tools (may involve knives such as the x-acto), I would highly recommend any ST class if cars. The SCs are a bit unruly to get setup, but an ST out of the box is right away easier to handle and at the very least, club level.

I could not get my first car to dial in no matter what I did (it was an RC10CE) but after I got my second offroader, JRX-T, which I later converted to LXT, I did very little to get it dialed in. I think it was just the added stability from longer arms and the added traction that made it much much more stable and easier to drive...
Old 12-11-2012, 07:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I would recommend a Traxxas truck for your situation. You will not get any better service from any company out there. There is a reason why they have almost 80% of the market share. I know the other companies say waterproof but none stand by it like Traxxas. The ECX has a waterproof servo and ESC but the receiver is still very susceptible to getting wet as its not in a sealed case like Traxxas. They are durable and when you do happen to break it, parts are everywere and cheap. They have more ground clearance that really comes in handy when bashing around rougher terrain. If he does get into racing most places have a stock slash class for entry level races. Despite what other people might say the Slash can be fairly competitive in the stock SC class too.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:22 AM
Tech Rookie

I am leaning towards the traxxas
Old 12-12-2012, 10:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I would say Traxxas as well. One thing to look at, is what is being stocked in your LHS. Parts support is one of the main things.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:33 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

First.... Don't buy a Redcat.

Next

My son is 9 and he loves his SC10, almost unbreakable. He first had a Axial that he loved but he quickly wanted more speed

Also, I think your #1 criteria must be parts availability. Get a top brand name (Team Associated, Losi, Traxxas, HPI, Duratrax) that you can have parts easily.

There are many stadium and short course truck in the 200$ range
Old 12-12-2012, 10:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

my son who is 12 has a blitz, stampede and even had him racing a 12thscale, also most of his buddies have sct's aswell. they all perfer the losi micros, they turnd my garden into a micro track and i havent seen my son since. his buddy just got the losi 1/24th 4wd sct and now that seems to be the truck of choice, if the their track is coverd in snow they build one in his room or my office and have a blast
Old 12-12-2012, 04:36 PM
Tech Initiate

XXX-SCT RTR. Best $199 spent interms of father & son bonding.
My 11 year old had a blast with it bashing in the backyard for a while. Then I took him to SDRC and his eyes got really big. That was in June.
In went the LIPO and brushless 17.5T (yes, not a 8.5T like other parents...) In the last couple of weekends, he has been starting to kick my butt (and a few others) racing in the Stock 2WD SC class (we race open skill level wise for stock there).

Now I am building him a DEX210 for X'mas since he complained that there was too much rubbing in 2WD SC.....
Old 12-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R.Shackleford
This is where you really have to know how mature you kid is. I got my first hobby grade r/c for Christmas when I was 8. It was a kit and my father and I spent the next few days building the kit. We took the electronics out of his old Tamiya Rough Rider to get it going. All in all it was probably a couple weeks later before the car was all ready to run. I still remember the last thing that needed done was to paint the body. We laid down several coats of Daytona Yellow, then headed off to grandma's house to keep my mind occupied while it dried. Later that day I got to run my Christmas gift for the first time.

For Christmas when I was 13 my dad got me another kit. This time I wanted nicer stuff electronics wise because it was a car just for the track. So I got the kit for Christmas, and again we spent the next couple days putting it together. It took until my birthday in March of scrimping and saving every bit of money I could to get all the stuff together to have the car ready to hit the track. The deal with my dad always stood, whatever money I could raise, he would match it.

A kit not only taught me how to work on the car, but patients too. Now when I get a new car I don't slam it together Friday night, paint a stupid one color body, just to race it Saturday and have the thing handle like crap and fall apart. Instead I show some self control. I show up a couple weeks later with a car that is perfectly built, painted with my paint scheme, a fresh set of the right tires for the track, and a car that works well and stays together.

If your kid is mature and mechanically inclined a kit might be a good option, if he/she is more of the run and gun type an rtr will probably make them happier.

Either way with you guys being new I would not recommend anything used. It will be more of a hassle than the small amount of money you might save. Not to mention giving a used thing as a gift. It would be one thing to get a used car, fix it up, then give it to him. But at this point in time you don't have enough time to do that. If you want to see that look on his face a new kit or rtr is the best way to go.

Personally, I would recommended a Traxxas 2wd Slash. Big, durable, waterproof, and you can get parts just about anywhere. I would wait on the brushless as an upgrade for his birthday. I also don't know much about the Exceed stuff. Personally I would stick with a Traxxas for a new venture in this hobby.
This is absolutely spot on.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:40 PM
Suspended

Default slashes f/s

slash 2wd and 4wd rtr brushless check out my add.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.