Wiki Posts
Search

What "Grinds Your Gears" In RC?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 07:27 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Deja Vu
As you said, breaking it down...by your logic, if a bad marshal costs you the race, its their fault. So, in essence, if you get a good marshal (and you continue on to win), then the marshal should be credited for the win? I mean, if they are getting blamed for the loss, then they should also be credited for the win, right?

Bad marshaling happens everywhere, any time. Hell, even as hard as I bust my butt to get to a crashed racer, even I screw up sometimes and don't get the guy turned over right away or correctly. As long as there are human beings racing and marshaling, there's going to be mistakes. Its all part of the hobby. If you know a guy to be lazy or slow, take extra caution in his area. If someone simply screws up and "costs you the race", well, you screwed up before they did.

At our local track, we've tried some "no-marshal" races just for fun. And, it actually was fun. There's no way you could get away with something like this in a beginners class, but a pro class with no marshals would be a challenge...and no one to blame but you.
The way I see it you can be marshalled one of three ways.

1. As you start to crash the marshal is moving toward your car. They flip the car over just as it comes to rest, and you lose little to no time.

2. An average marshal job where you lose some time. Still acceptable.

3. A terrible marshal job where you lose a significant amount of time. This is what I don't like (as everyone else).

If someone does a good job marshalling my car, in one of those i won the race because of your above average ability to pay attention and level of physical coordination, then yes, after the race I will certainly thank them. Usually I buy them a soda or something from the snack bar. Likewise if I beat someone purely because they got a bad marshal job, and I didn't, I congratulate them in a good race, and make it clear to them that I got lucky, and they got screwed. Does it change the size of the trophy or amount of race bucks? No, but it is a respect thing.

I also understand that some people have physical limitations. All I expect is that you pay attention, get my car as quickly as it is safely possible for you, and then don't do anything stupid with my car once you get there. Though that being said, i am referring to the guys who are 16-35 years old, and in decent health. Again, after all this I still accept that my bad driving got me into this, but I ask everyone the following.

How many of you have lost a race because a bad marshal stepped in front of/on your car, or put a car they were marshalling right in front of yours? I have had it happen several times, and in that case I didn't crash, yet a bad marshal still cost me time on the track. It was purely the marshals fault.

I'll end with this. Bad marshal jobs happen. What grinds my gears is the frequency with which they happen.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R.Shackleford
Lets break this down shall we.

DRIVING = A SKILL

MARSHALLING = A SKILL

If you crash and you get a bad marshal that costs you the race, it is the marshals fault. If you were to crash in the exact same situation, but instead the marshal does a good job, and you don't lose then it is because the marshal did a good job.

Like I said before, I acknowledge that I crashed, and while it is true that had I not crashed I would not give the marshal the opportunity to screw up. The marshal has an equal opportunity to not suck at marshalling.
I dont agree with many of your posts, but this post is the best post I have ever seen. It is the marshall's fault if they dont get to your car in time.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I'll end with this. Bad marshal jobs happen. What grinds my gears is the frequency with which they happen.
Let me try to sum up all my "angst against marshals" posts by following up with this comment to the above comment...

It's the marshals that clearly don't give a f**k, don't pay attention or repeatedly screw up costing much more time than it should to properly marshal a car.

Everyone crashes, everyone needs to be marshaled. It's part of racing. It's the people who can't do what is expected that make people upset.

Watch some of the national races - during the mains they have "experienced" or "professional" marshals. Those guys DIVE for cars, sprint to them.

I applaud them for that effort.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:58 AM
Tech Champion

What might look like an effort for the marshall might not look like one for you..

I'm always running when marshalling like if it was a world championship, but it's because the weather is too cold in Belgium
Old 12-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Not having a racetrack within a 120 miles of my house grinds my gears!
Old 12-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking What Grinds my gears???

Are you sure you want me to chime in????

OHHHH Mannn. Here we goo....

1. When people blame their cars for their lack of driving ability. If Adam Drake can drive your car with 1 wheel missing and still win????????
I can assure you it's NOT THE CAR.

2. When everyone has to get the latest and greatest car thinking their driving ability will improve.. In some cases this is true, every car is built differently and as a driver, every car won't work with everyones driving styles. Do some research, test drive other mfg cars from friends before making that next big purchase. Most drivers can't make consistent laps and show the improvement from having a new car. (Consistent laps is the key which means it's the driver)

3. Turn Marshalling..... Why turn marshall in flip flops?? Have you ever
seen what an 1/8th scale buggy a full tilt will do to a leg?? I have. Not pretty. blood everywhere...

4. Turn Marshalling..... Why turn marshall while on the phone??
I bet if this happens to you, you are the first one to scream at the turn marshall. Treat others like you want to be treated.

5. GROW UP AND DRIVE YOUR R/C. Are you the one who is complaining about how the track is too slick, the track has too much traction, the track doesn't have enough jumps, the tracks jumps are too high and I break my cars. Well, grow up and drive your R/C. When I started racing, I was happy to have a place to go. A place to enjoy racing. The pros say well the track is slick or rough, but, they deal with it. They find the right tires and the right setup to give them the best advantage for them. Know you car and know the products you use to give you the best performance. If you don't get the right tire combination, maybe you need to do some more research as to what works at the track you are at. There is a product out there that will do what you need it to do. Maybe your driving style doesn't fit and that too needs to change for that track. Check it out.

Note, I was at Revelation Raceway and saw a teen ager come off the drivers stand super pissed. He was so angry, he threw his $400 dollar radio across the pit table and of course the radio was destroyed. I told the kid
next time just give me the radio. At least it will be put to good use.

6. Attitude. This is a big one. If you are a hacker, If you are a whiner, If you have anger management issues, stay home or take up fishing. No one wants to be hacked by a whiner. Everyone pays good money to race. Everyone brings the cars and equipment to the track to have fun and that is what I feel this is. I enjoy being with my friends mostly. I will blow an entire heat because I am spending time laughing and talking and helping others, that I forget and I think it's worth it to me. NO ONE IN MY CLASS OR IN MY AREA IS MAKING A PAYCHECK FROM R/C SO THERE ISN'T ANY REASON WHY THERE SHOULD BE ARGUING OR FIGHTS AT THE TRACK. GROW UP AND RACE YOUR R/C.

Note, I was at Revelation Raceway and saw a teen ager come off the drivers stand super pissed. He was so angry, he threw his $400 dollar radio across the pit table and of course the radio was destroyed. Batteries went everywhere, parts hit a few people. I told him next time, just give me the radio. His father told him he won't be racing for a long time since that was an expensive radio. I would band that kid for all activities period for some time till he got the idea to respect his equipment and respect others.

I've seen guys flame out, pick up their cars and proceed to pound the car on a bolder until the chassis looks like a taco, then throw the car into the back of their truck, Mind you, screaming the whole time, jump into their
truck and peal out throwing rocks and hitting people at least 30 feet away.
This was an ill tempered person who luckily never came back to track. He hurt several people with that little stunt. Again, GROW UP AND RACE YOUR R/C CARS

7. TRACTION ADDITIVES - I have recently stopped going to the track because of the amount of people are using traction additives and this stuff truly gives me a headache. When 1 person is using it, that's 1 thing, but, when 20 people are using it, I'm done. It gives me a headache that last at least a day. (indoor facility) There are other ways to get traction. Research...
Again, back to the old it's got too much traction, there isn't enough. Well folks, maybe one thing had been forgotten. THIS IS OFFROAD. THE GROUND MOVES. It's suppose have dry spots, loose spots, rough spots. If you want super smooth, go race onroad on an asphalt track.
Part of racing is the ability of the driver to adapt to the ever changing conditions. I remember when Pro drivers had to race onroad/offroad. the driver had to adapt to both conditions. Now it seems some only race onroad or offroad. Some I think will only race 10th scale or 1/8th scale. Hmm. I like Masami Hirosaka or Atsushi Harah who can drive both. Even Masami can kick most people butts when driving an r/c car with his feet. Now that's dedication.

Now here is one for the MFGs.

8. It's been How many years since Losi has product a 4wd buggy. I have been a loyal fan of Losi for many years. I have a XX4 and an XXX4 and It's been I think about 10 years since the last 4wd buggy from them.

(For all of you Sci Fi fans, I feel like Losi is like Toho corporation. They killed off Godzilla 10+ years ago and are waiting for a new generation of people be be born in order to have a new fan base for Godzilla.( I think the new Godzilla will appear in 2013 US )

I feel it's time / overdue for another new and ultimate 4wd buggy. Super durable, jumps and takes bumps like the XX4, carries tons of speed like the
XXX4, durable as a TLR22.

Some people want their MTV, well I want my TLR 44 (or whatever they call it)

Last edited by Dr. Evil; 12-09-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Talking Racing

Don't get me wrong, there have been many great years of racing. Many great people have I met. (sounds like Yota)

I've met Matt and Mark Francis, Adam Drake, Masami Hirosaka and his dad, Brian Kenwald, Gil Losi Jr. I use to race with Joel Magic Johnson back in the Bay Area at a place called Castle Hobbies. We use to do tons of Parking lot races there. I also met a 7 foot tall driver from Japan named Sampson. I have met many other Pro drivers I can't remember of the top of my head.

All these folks are drivers that I consider Professional. I personally have
never seen them throw a temper tantrum. Maybe they were boiling inside from a mistake they made, but, I bet they were mad at themselves and not the car they drove. I'm sure there have been some parts that were not up to snuff so those issues could be forgiven, but in general they new it was them and not the car.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Tech Master

What really grinds my gears is R.Shackleford.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GrimReminder
What really grinds my gears is R.Shackleford.
Why is that?
Old 12-09-2012, 07:09 PM
Tech Addict

The way I see it you can be marshalled one of three ways.

1. As you start to crash the marshal is moving toward your car. They flip the car over just as it comes to rest, and you lose little to no time.
ME!
This is why I feel like I have the right to complain about bad marshalling. Because I marshal the way I would like to be marshalled. If I didnt try thatd be another thing. But I do so Ill complain as much as I want.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Tech Master

Why is that?
No reason...I was just having fun in this thread. I don't have a problem with you Just being sarcastic lol!
Old 12-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I can't stand the guys who are too good to marshal or sweep the track after their race. Nobody should have to tell you to marshal. Maybe if you're totally new to it then an exception can be made. Just yesterday at a local club race, the rd made it very clear that you had to marshal after your race or you would be docked laps. Yet it seemed like each race was held up because there weren't enough marshals on the track and the rd had to make the announcement over and over again. I don't care if you're a pro or sponsored driver; you're not special and you need to marshal like everyone else.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:00 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gene158
I can't stand the guys who are too good to marshal or sweep the track after their race. Nobody should have to tell you to marshal. Maybe if you're totally new to it then an exception can be made. Just yesterday at a local club race, the rd made it very clear that you had to marshal after your race or you would be docked laps. Yet it seemed like each race was held up because there weren't enough marshals on the track and the rd had to make the announcement over and over again. I don't care if you're a pro or sponsored driver; you're not special and you need to marshal like everyone else.
+1
Old 12-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

When the local hobbyshop owner doesn't get in the parts you asked him to order for you.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Rockthecatbox21
When the local hobbyshop owner doesn't get in the parts you asked him to order for you.
did you pay up fornt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.