Wiki Posts
Search

Save your local hobby shop?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Harry Sachs
Without reading all the previous posts I'm sure it's been said. Buy from the track you race at or it may not be there next time. So what if the owner is making a profit, he should. He is the one taking all the risk in running the place.
No.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:05 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I buy all my parts for my race rigs from the shop(s) where I race. If they don't have the parts, I tell them to get them because they should be stocking them anyway. And usually, they do.

On the other hand, I order all of my parts for bashers and projects online.

The hobby shops nearest my house doesn't stock anything I need, EVER. On occasion I can find bodies and paints I like, and they do stock simple stuff like glue.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Ya, Our LHS has dumped a bunch of $ into a beautiful indoor clay track that we can race year round for $15 first class $5 each additional. He also opened a second "race store" @ the track were we have pretty much any parts we would need at the track. How can u beat that? I hope he is making $ !!!
Old 11-25-2012, 10:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I try to buy as much as I can from my LHS but they just don't have all the parts I need all the time but I try to make it to they're track and practice every week and pay for the practice. The only thing is we keep telling him to at least make an indoor crawler track. So he gets business year round not just in the summer.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:25 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JPKinsella
Your the reason why the Country is in trouble, Move to China where all your money is going and our jobs are retard...Most All of the tracks in my area are hobby shops first then tracks a couple of the have been around 25years+ and have some of the best race programs in the Nation. Without the Traxxas's of the industry where people get into the hobby cheap very little of the tracks would survive. More people spend money at the shops the less they will charge the more parts on the wall better facillity to race at. Buy the way all my local rc shops will match online deals or beat them if they are not already...Just ask, the stuff all comes from the same wholeseller anyway. And I am not saying all shop owners (employees) are good either some are awful just the way it works out sometimes.
Herp a derp much? Maybe you should post something more intelligent before you call others "retards".

I'll bet your LHS has jack that can keep me in the Amain. None of the LHS's here will match online prices. Even if they still make $100+ for 15 minutes of labor. (my Losi 5ive sale for example)

I only know one LHS that supports a track.

It's not rocket science to bring in racers to your shop. But i haven't seen a LHS that could:
-get parts I broke on Saturday to my door by thursday
-not completely rip me off. I'm not paying 20% more than online for the same goods
-have a decent return policy

Every time I go to a LHS, everything I see is completely out of touch with racing. Racers have no choice but online anymore.

If I made half of my purchases from a LHS, then I would miss most of the races.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:27 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Blown up
Ya, Our LHS has dumped a bunch of $ into a beautiful indoor clay track that we can race year round for $15 first class $5 each additional. He also opened a second "race store" @ the track were we have pretty much any parts we would need at the track. How can u beat that? I hope he is making $ !!!
YES ! YES ! YES ! YES ! YES ! YES ! YES ! YES ! YES ! YES ! YES ! YES !

Old 11-25-2012, 10:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Every time I go to a LHS, everything I see is completely out of touch with racing. Racers have no choice but online anymore.
There use to be a great race shop that operated in the area. They stocked everything for the cars people raced, not just traxxas. They were in touch with the racer as they were racers themselves. Thats why I think they were successful.

Now the only shop in the area stocks pretty much nothing but traxxas. Yes he carrys some tires, bodies and paint, but I couldn't walk into the shop and buy everything I needed to build and race a competative car.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:10 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Herp a derp much? Maybe you should post something more intelligent before you call others "retards".

I'll bet your LHS has jack that can keep me in the Amain. None of the LHS's here will match online prices. Even if they still make $100+ for 15 minutes of labor. (my Losi 5ive sale for example)

I only know one LHS that supports a track.

It's not rocket science to bring in racers to your shop. But i haven't seen a LHS that could:
-get parts I broke on Saturday to my door by thursday
-not completely rip me off. I'm not paying 20% more than online for the same goods
-have a decent return policy

If I made half of my purchases from a LHS, then I would miss most of the races.

Yup thats true on them facts although i know two Hobby stores in my state that in touch with the racers and can get stuff in expect aftermarket things. And they have outdoor/offroad tracks.

They can match towers price like i said before other than buying kits from tower they cant match there coupons on kits.

But still they cant get things to you in 3 days if you order something from them and thats a issue with us racers that need the part ASAP .

So what i do is if they have what i need in the shop il get it.

But i do understand why hobby shops need to charge more theres more overhead for sure !
Old 11-25-2012, 07:21 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Harry Sachs
Without reading all the previous posts I'm sure it's been said. Buy from the track you race at or it may not be there next time. So what if the owner is making a profit, he should. He is the one taking all the risk in running the place.
First ill give this an LOL!

Second - ill donate a tear to the cause. IDGAF about the owner's profits... If he can't make a profit at Internet prices, well, the owner cannot compete can he? And what happens when you can't compete? You SHUT DOWN! Unless of course your name is GM and you're too big to fail, but lets save that for another day....

And what's this about having to pay 20% inflated prices and being happy about it so we can race locally? Know what racers do when the LHS can't and won't compete for their business? They race elsewhere. And not necessarily LHS's either. Tracks built with bulldozers, backhoes, etc... Right on their own property. Dricer's stands erected and a free invite.

Racers and racing will survive with or without the LHS... So please for the sake of our sanity, drop the old, "buy local to keep open your local track" non-sense.

Oh, and these owners opened these businesses knowing full well the risks involved. It is NOT ON THE RACER, BASHER, OR SHELF QUEENS TO MITIGATE THEIR RISK BY AGREEING TO INFLATED PRICING! That's ludicrous........
Old 11-25-2012, 09:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Nobody should expect to walk into an AutoZone and be able to grab a pro street supercharger for their '71 Nova. Aint gonna happen. Same with most LHS's. They simply can't keep everything in stock for every vehicle. A competent LHS that carries lots of perishable items that are vehicle agnostic and not likely to end up being deadstock like wheels, tires, bodies, bearings, fluids, pinions.. etc. at a competitive price and also has courteous staff should do fine against e-tailers.

I have a different view of the internet/lhs debate... Without the internet, I would have never gotten back into RC and then visited my LHS in the first place. You're seeing more tracks popup all over and LHS's closing down. I'm not positive, but I gotta think that there are more people into the hobby now than five years ago. This would signal that LHS's need to be more on their game because the consumer base is growing yet they're still struggling. Somethin' aint right.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:54 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by melonpeel
Nobody should expect to walk into an AutoZone and be able to grab a pro street supercharger for their '71 Nova. Aint gonna happen. Same with most LHS's. They simply can't keep everything in stock for every vehicle. A competent LHS that carries lots of perishable items that are vehicle agnostic and not likely to end up being deadstock like wheels, tires, bodies, bearings, fluids, pinions.. etc. at a competitive price and also has courteous staff should do fine against e-tailers.

I have a different view of the internet/lhs debate... Without the internet, I would have never gotten back into RC and then visited my LHS in the first place. You're seeing more tracks popup all over and LHS's closing down. I'm not positive, but I gotta think that there are more people into the hobby now than five years ago. This would signal that LHS's need to be more on their game because the consumer base is growing yet they're still struggling. Somethin' aint right.

Well the only thing i always hear about hobby shops are the distubers kill us everytime. But the #1 thing is if your consumer service sucks and theres no racers who work at the shop that get you its going to fail period !
Old 11-26-2012, 12:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Cry me a river. Worked for my LHS & prices on small parts are marked up 100%. 3 tracks local, not any as nice as the one in my yard. Bad owners & poor management will shut down any business & will just bring about a new owner & a new place to race. If 2 shut down there might actually be some compitition at 1.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:04 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JPKinsella
If you can't afford the difference between the local hobby shop and the online retailer maybe you should quit racing to go back to school to get a better job....
That's funny right there! I don't care who ya are!

It is funny but true!

I am lucky enough to have 2 LHS's within an hour of me, one has a track and caters to the racers and the other is closer but caters to bashers and it is pot luck if they have a part on hand BUT the prices are crazy high too!

The LHS that has the track is where I shop unless I need something in 3 or 4 days then I get it from amain, if I need it tomorrow I take a stab at the other shop and tend to pay $1-3 more per part but the convenience is nice (3 minute drive from the house)!

As far as the better LHS, he is awesome! Will match or usually BEAT and online shop and has told me he makes squat on kits (maybe $4 or 5!). He supports us with parts, tires, and race fees. Thats where he breaks even at the end of the year! He will order anything we want or need! Thats how ya run a hobby shop!
Old 11-26-2012, 01:07 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brokenmoto
Worked for my LHS & prices on small parts are marked up 100%.
Maybe MSRP, who sells at that anyways? Oh yeah places that are out for a profit only!
Old 11-26-2012, 02:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by melonpeel
pro street supercharger for their '71 Nova
think I just got wood

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.