Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BEST RUNNING TEMPS FOR TRAXXAS & CASTLE SYSTEMS

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Tech Adept

Default BEST RUNNING TEMPS FOR TRAXXAS & CASTLE SYSTEMS

I have already done my own research on this but i wanted to hear more opinions to complete my list, specifically from this forum and so that i can have this information under my own post for future reference.

Below i have listed all the electronic systems that i would like your opinion for as well as my findings for some of them. You are welcome to comment on any of the systems below.

These are my Findings:

Castle Creations Systems: (ON 4S)

MAMBA MONSTER ESC (E-REVO BL):

Didnt manage to find any information

MAMBA MONSTER Neu-Castle 2200kV motor (E-REVO BL):

BEST = 150F
GOOD = 160F
LIMIT (do not exceed) = 170F

MAMBA MAX Pro ESC (FLUX 2350):

BEST = 130F
GOOD = 140F
LIMIT (do not exceed) = 150F

FLUX 2350 motor:

Didnt manage to find any information

TRAXXAS Systems: (ON 4S)

Velenion VXL ESC (1/16 E-revo):

BEST = 140F
GOOD = 150F
LIMIT (do not exceed) = 160F

Velenion 380 BL motor (1/16 E-revo):

BEST = 140F
GOOD = 150F
LIMIT (do not exceed) = 160F
Old 10-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Im fairly certain that the max temp wouldnt change depending on whether your running 4s or 6s. For most motors 140 to 160 is the sweet spot and you generally dont want to go over 180. Just keep in mind that the internal temp of the motor may be 15 to 20 degrees over the external temp. So when your temp gun reads 180, the actually rotor may be at 200!
Old 10-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jpex62
Im fairly certain that the max temp wouldnt change depending on whether your running 4s or 6s. For most motors 140 to 160 is the sweet spot and you generally dont want to go over 180. Just keep in mind that the internal temp of the motor may be 15 to 20 degrees over the external temp. So when your temp gun reads 180, the actually rotor may be at 200!
Ok i will keep that in mind.

So in a perfect setup is the motor supposed to be running hotter than the esc?
Old 10-11-2012, 05:19 AM
Tech Adept

anyone?
Old 10-11-2012, 07:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

the motor should be hotter then the esc, if not you should probably get a better esc. I'd try keeping those motors under 160, especially the traxxas motors, I've seen lots of rotors come unglue from the motor shaft due to heat.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:42 AM
Team Tekin

Pretty much any motor should be safe up to 180*F. You start risking rotor damage up around 200*F+ for extended periods of time.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TY@TEAMTEKIN
Pretty much any motor should be safe up to 180*F. You start risking rotor damage up around 200*F+ for extended periods of time.
Are you sure about this? I have rarely heard of people saying saying this.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:09 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by KELLES
Are you sure about this? I have rarely heard of people saying saying this.
Yes I'm sure. Some manufactures may use different magnet materials and don't recommend over 160*F but really that is just to cover the bases. It all depends on the motor and application, but in general all brushless are safe up to 180*F and start to demagnetize the rotor at higher prolonged temps.

Basically, keep it at 180*F or under no matter what, meaning gear and set it up properly for how long you drive. If you're just doing 6 minute heats and mains and it's coming off only 130-160, that's fine. If you go and run for a full pack and it comes off 200*, you need to tone it back a bit to drive it for that long and keep it below 180*. In general, just keep the motor at or below 180*F and it'll last you a long time, no matter what brand.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Tech Adept

Yes I'm sure. Some manufactures may use different magnet materials and don't recommend over 160*F but really that is just to cover the bases. It all depends on the motor and application, but in general all brushless are safe up to 180*F and start to demagnetize the rotor at higher prolonged temps.

Basically, keep it at 180*F or under no matter what, meaning gear and set it up properly for how long you drive. If you're just doing 6 minute heats and mains and it's coming off only 130-160, that's fine. If you go and run for a full pack and it comes off 200*, you need to tone it back a bit to drive it for that long and keep it below 180*. In general, just keep the motor at or below 180*F and it'll last you a long time, no matter what brand.
Thats really good to hear. do you work with tekin?
Old 10-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by KELLES
Thats really good to hear. do you work with tekin?
I do! I know you weren't referring to our products, I was generalizing to make it easier.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:59 PM
Tech Adept

I do! I know you weren't referring to our products, I was generalizing to make it easier.
Yeah i understand. I just asked so that i know how much i can trust your saying. Its really nice to have the chance to talk with people that work in the brushless industry.

Is it also true that when you record the temperature of the motor you should add up another 20F because the motor is hotter on the inside?