Search

battery wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default battery wiring

ordered up my dean's plugs from Amain.

Have spent considerable now scratching my head on connecting a 10awg wire to such an incredibly compact connector. The lead that I'm supposed to hook the wire to is less than 1/8". This doesn't give much of a spot to solder on a large wire like this.

Any suggestions out there on how to do this best, or is there a diff connector that will have a larger connection?
Old 10-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Tech Champion

Nope, it's easy. But you need a HOT iron like a Hakko 936 for bigger wires.

-Put Deans plug in a set of vice grips so it's not flopping about like a fish or the control board of a burning ESC.
-tin pin
-tin wire
-stick wire on and melt it down to the pin.
-burn fingers badly
-tape/shrink the connection good befroe starting the next one.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

+1 on burning fingers
Old 10-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

thanks guys. But I don't like it. I won't trust it.

Is there nothing that can be bought at a hardware store that is easier to wire together that will handle this duty? Speaking of, what kind of amps are we looking for the connection to be able to handle?

thanks in advance -
Old 10-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Tech Prophet

Oh yea you will need a hot iron like 80w/900@ degress on them big wires the more heat the better on them ! I use a Marksman Weller 80w/900@ degree soldering iron it was $25.00 its a non adjustable temp but they do make the same model that has a adjustble temp for $65.00. You will however need to buy a smaller temp from Amazon the tip thats on it is pretty big lol.

The best thing to get while soldering is the (The Jig) best thing invented ! Its $25.00 made in the USA you can buy them from Stormer Hobbies.com.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by tc5 man
Oh yea you will need a hot iron like 80w/900@ degress on them big wires the more heat the better on them ! I use a Marksman Weller 80w/900@ degree soldering iron it was $25.00 its a non adjustble temp but they do make the same model that has a adjustble temp for $65.00. You will however need to buy a smaller temp from Amazon the tip thats on it is pretty big lol.

Sorry, didn't mean "What kind of iron would make this easier"....I meant: Is there no other connector that is readily available so that I can wire these big 10ga wires togethere?
Old 10-08-2012, 11:09 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by ttugrad1793
Sorry, didn't mean "What kind of iron would make this easier"....I meant: Is there no other connector that is readily available so that I can wire these big 10ga wires togethere?

Oh ok the Losi EC5 connecters are for 10 gauge wires there not cheap though. Deans plugs will work fine on 10 gauge wires they handle the load fine.

But the EC5 connecters are meant to be easier for 10 gauge wires and do handle more Amps .

I would take a look at (The Jig) i was talking about worth the money.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Are there wires coming out of your lipo? Or ports to plug bullet connectors into?
If ports, no connector needed. Your esc power wires soldered straight to bullet plugs is the best way to go. Replace bullets every few months to keep them fresh & tight. $2.50 every few months in this hobby is cheap.