Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shimming 1/8 diffs

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 11:07 PM
Tech Adept

Default Shimming 1/8 diffs

How tight do you guys shim your diffs? is there a was to check to see how good it is?
Old 09-29-2012, 05:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

When building my Ve8 I shimmed the front diff according to the manual and if felt pretty damn good. Rear shimmed as per manual was uber tight and I ended up running half the shims they called for.

Just try different combinations until you get the dog spinning smoothly with the slightest amount of backlash between the pinion and ring gear.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default Diff shimming

I shim my diffs so they have as less backlash as possible but still spin smoothly,I keep up on shimming as much as i can and my gears last a long time
Old 04-04-2016, 10:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I do mine like ty tessman does his. Very very tight, almost crunchy ring and pinion. Make sure you grease it up, once you run it in it will loosen up to the perfect spot. if you set it with perfect mesh and than run it in, it will be slightly loose. You want it to be a little "too tight" at first and once you run it in gradually it will end up being perfect. While running in the diff will push towards the opposite side of the ring gear freeing up some space, also the plastics will either warm up or re-contour to the tight mesh and end up being just right. My 2 cents Id love to hear others chime in though.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If its a used car ....

I have found that each gear set is a little different , but they all have a spot , right before too tight where you can feel a "high spot". That's where I stop.

Always check with the gear box tight.