Wiki Posts
Search

The AE FActory Team B44.2 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
When I 1st got the kit I tried the Ballast. Ran it one night and a practice night. Since then I have been through about 20 oil and spring combos.

Right now I have in the front AE 1.5 pistons Losi 35 weight and AE Red 3.90 springs.

Rear I have AE 1.6 pistons Losi 27.5 weight AE Green 2.00 springs.

No Ballast.
The set up is pretty good as far as roll. Weight transfer is more Biased to the front. Its a plush feel. I will see if I can find a way to show how it works. It is pretty much what AE 32.5 front and AE 25 rear would feel like if you tried the pistons.
BTW the table test will give you an idea how soft the kit is on the table
Thanks! That makes sense now. I'm generally a fan of lighter oil/smaller piston holes. The tradeoff seems to be how sensitive an oil weight change becomes as the hole size gets smaller.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:19 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SkarTisu
Thanks! That makes sense now. I'm generally a fan of lighter oil/smaller piston holes. The tradeoff seems to be how sensitive an oil weight change becomes as the hole size gets smaller.
This vid may help. This method will give you 2 options with the same oil. You can just imagine the combinations. I have found that if an oil is to soft you can use this method to make the piston and oil combo have more pack. This method will give you more pack yet is neutral as if you bleed your shocks King Richards way. NOTE the single most important thing in this vid is DO NOT tighten the seal cap till the shaft is in the body of the rings.
King Richard...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hU6B9Z62hw
Give this a try, but first do the drop test and table test with your current shocks. Then top and bleed your shocks this way and see if you can tell the difference?
I feel better pack and and better rebound without changing the springs.
Common way to bleed will have less pack and this method will have more pack.
I have found that 90% of folks really don't know there shocks or the proper way to assemble them. Club racers just don't make the time to study and test test test. This vid may help out and will for sure get the brain clicking.
I should do one that is more detailed. This was to help some one get rid of that 50/50 in out rebound.
UN4RACING...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GitM0-hWFgc

Last edited by UN4RACING; 01-08-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:21 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by CHIZZLE
If using stock foams, sure. But if you're running closed cell, it's best to have holes in the tires and wheels. If you forget to punch the rubber before you mount them up, just pinch and punch with a smaller hole. You'll have two side by side, but it works.
No use the tip of a pair of snips/scissors to cut out a small single hole.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by hobdog
UN4RACING, how many limiters are you using front and rear on your shock setup. I'm getting ready to build mine up today.
Assuming shock eyelets snug all the way screwed on.
Manual recommendation. 1 front and rear. Now if you run the rear/front shocks in the inner upper option you will need at least have 2 in the rear and front. The droop will be so low the CVD's will jump out on ya. 3 to be safe. But then I had to unscrew the eyelet to get my droop set where the CVD was back to the stock droop.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:32 AM
Tech Lord

BTW I wasn't dogging anyone who has not took or had the time to learn more about shocks. But these vids will save you a lot of time and get you up to speed much faster.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

BTW I wasn't dogging anyone who has not took or had the time to learn more about shocks. But these vids will save you a lot of time and get you up to speed much faster.
Yeah, I got lucky with the V2's, I built them my first time via X-factory's instructions (which are just like the video except they fill the cap with oil too). I haven't been building them with the collar on though, that's something I'm going to have to start doing. Thanks for the Videos!

Also, is anyone else switching their stock blue aluminum upper shock mounts out for the plastic ones? I'm doing it because I'm not a huge fan of metal on metal and I can just see the two wearing each other out pretty quickly.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:44 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Racer X8000
Yeah, I got lucky with the V2's a built them my first time via X-factory's instructions (which are just like the video except they fill the cap with oil too). I haven't been building them with the collar on though, that's something I'm going to have to start doing. Thanks for the Videos!
Any time, Just ask if I can help I will. This also helps me to stay sharp and or rethink things. Its always a learning experience. There is actually more to this flat landing pack stuff that's not seen or obvious. I will get a vid up so you can see it...LOL We will all know this kit end to end before were done....
Old 01-08-2013, 10:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Any time, Just ask if I can help I will. This also helps me to stay sharp and or rethink things. Its always a learning experience. There is actually more to this flat landing pack stuff that's not seen or obvious. I will get a vid up so you can see it...LOL We will all know this kit end to end before were done....
That sounds good to me! I'm learning a lot in this thread that I'll be able to apply to my whole fleet, so please, explain on!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

UN4RACING you truly are an asset to this forum. Thanks for all your time and research put into this car. We All appreciate it.

Coolza
Old 01-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Oh thanks guys, no I will have to deal with his swollen head at the track........geez.......
Old 01-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

No use the tip of a pair of snips/scissors to cut out a small single hole.
No? Are you saying don't do it my way?
Old 01-08-2013, 11:53 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Racer X8000
Yeah, I got lucky with the V2's, I built them my first time via X-factory's instructions (which are just like the video except they fill the cap with oil too). I haven't been building them with the collar on though, that's something I'm going to have to start doing. Thanks for the Videos!

Also, is anyone else switching their stock blue aluminum upper shock mounts out for the plastic ones? I'm doing it because I'm not a huge fan of metal on metal and I can just see the two wearing each other out pretty quickly.
I think a good way to view box stock set up is to see it as a starting point. Like you will know when you have pushed gearing, The motor will poof or the ESC will melt...LOL

With shocks.... The cap will blow off or the seals will give up and piss all over your a-arms.....
My goal is to get the maximum amount of oil/pack for the stroke of the shock. I know we all tried to conquer the chassis slap with the V2's

Here's just how far I have tried to push my shocks. And you will see just how much further we can push our shocks to perform. A lot of the stroke is not used on a shock that we don't notice. You may find yourself really looking at your kit closer after this vid...
Here's another vid to see a part of the stroke that's not used on a flat landing. It is however used on an off camber landing. With a plastic cap V2 I tried to get this last bit of stroke filled with oil or hydra lock it at this point as if I had put an exterior limit on the shaft. Its easy to do. But the ill effect is if you pushed it the cap would blow off of the V2. It worked great until the one to many off camber landings would blow the cap off. If you can fill this last bit of stroke with oil and never let the piston get in this area the pack is greater. The V2 plastic cap on a off camber hard landing just could not handle it. Now I have yet to try it with the BB cause I know it will take a lot of testing. But now you see an area that is best used with bladders thus getting more performance out of our shocks and the bleeding of the shock becomes obsolete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGwW7nqzIzc
Old 01-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by CHIZZLE
No? Are you saying don't do it my way?
LOL not really your way is fine if you do it that way. I thought you were asking how I do it... I guess that would work though.... But be sure to get a bigger pinch so the hole are further apart...LOL
Old 01-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Coolza
UN4RACING you truly are an asset to this forum. Thanks for all your time and research put into this car. We All appreciate it.

Coolza
Thanks I have to give more credits to Rigor. While I was learning the kit he was holding the thread down all alone. I felt he needed a break so jumped in.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by sickpuppy1
Oh thanks guys, no I will have to deal with his swollen head at the track........geez.......
Oh man please don't pit some where else. I need the coffee...LOl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.