Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
BL Motor question on Kv/Turn replacement? >

BL Motor question on Kv/Turn replacement?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BL Motor question on Kv/Turn replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 09:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default BL Motor question on Kv/Turn replacement?

I'll be replacing my stock reedy motors that came with my rtr's soon. The rtr's are 2wd SC10 rs's and t4.1's. The stock reedy is fast enough right now, we do backyard family racing.

The reedy is a 3300Kv, I have no idea what turn it is. Can someone recommend a motor equivalent for me and would this be a stock equivalent? Also, is the reedy 3300Kv a stock motor? I'll be going with a different brand of motor, as I want to get away from reedy...budget is $50-$100 max. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

10.5 is in the range of 3300kv, although the maxzilla revtech 17.5 is 3300 kv
Old 09-24-2012, 09:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The Reedy 3300kv is roughly equivelant to a 13.5T motor. That said, I raced competitively with the Reedy 3300kv in my old SC10 for a while before upgrading. A stock motor is a 17.5T sensored motor. The Reedy has a little bit more power than that, but stock racing is a great place to build your skills and really learn how to setup your vehicles.

In order to upgrade your motor to a true race motor (sensored) you will need to upgrade your ESC. I would recommend upgrading the ESC first and then getting a motor as it will open up more options for you. You can't go wrong with picking up a second hand Tekin RS ESC as they can be found for relatively cheap and will run sensored and sensorless motors. Another viable ESC option is the Castle Mamba Max Pro, but I prefer the Tekin HotWire tuning software and the lower profile of the ESC.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

So, stock is 17.5T, the reedy 3300Kv is like a 13.5T, and if I want to go a little faster, a 10.5T would do it...do I have this correct?
Old 09-24-2012, 09:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jfharper
So, stock is 17.5T, the reedy 3300Kv is like a 13.5T, and if I want to go a little faster, a 10.5T would do it...do I have this correct?
More or less. Personally I run an 8.5T in my 2wd short course (when I'm not running stock class) but a 10.5T should be enough power for most people. Do keep in mind the ESC, however, as you don't want to get a motor and then not be able to run it because your ESC doesn't support it.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

I will thanks, I don't think I can drop the cash on a Tekin right now, would have to get a more budget esc like a HW or Brushless hobbies.

BTW, what is "relatively cheap" for the tekins you mentioned above?
Old 09-24-2012, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

If you are just going to backyard bash the castle 3800KV setup is a beast of motor that will work with almost any ESC (sensorless motor) and it is not as expensive as many other options either.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jfharper
I will thanks, I don't think I can drop the cash on a Tekin right now, would have to get a more budget esc like a HW or Brushless hobbies.

BTW, what is "relatively cheap" for the tekins you mentioned above?
It isn't uncommon to find a second hand Tekin in the $100-$125 range and a decent second hand motor in the $50 range. The Reedy 3300kv isn't a bad setup and you may be happier in the long run by waiting a little bit and good stuff if you plan on racing at a track.

BTW, I wish I was lucky enough to have a home track!