Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Bearings for motor? >

Bearings for motor?

Bearings for motor?

Old 09-20-2012, 01:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Bearings for motor?

I need to replace my motor bearings, motor is a reedy 3300Kv 540-sl brushless, with bearings size 5mmx11mmx4mm (IDxODxThickness).

My LHS gave me bearings that were traxsis bearings of this same size, but they have a fiber or fiberglass thing. You know how some bearings have a rubber thing (don't know what it's called), these have a fiber or fiberglass. I asked the LHS if they would be OK for motor temps and they said yes.

I was wondering if anyone else has used these fiber bearings for a motor, or should steel only be used...what about ceramic...are they worth the price? Thanks.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I am no expert on this subject but i would not use them. If the fiber comes apart it goes in your motor while at high RPM. I would just spend the extra few bucks and get a ceramic bearing and call it good for a while.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've been using the $1 avid motor bearings without an issue for some time.

My. 02¢
Old 09-20-2012, 03:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Im not a bearing expert but usually there is rubber shielded or metal shielded bearings. I'm not sure about the fiber you speak of but Any bearing the proper size should work just fine. Ceramic is only good for on road in my experience as dirt is not there friend.. Not that it is any bearings friend haha
Old 09-20-2012, 03:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

That's what it's called, the shield. Yeah, I'm taking them back, and going with metal shield...I think I'll order some AVID bearings. Thanks.