Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree172Likes

Kyosho Ultima RB6 & RB6.6 Car Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 12-21-2016, 08:46 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Kyosho Ultima RB6 & RB6.6 Car Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tobamiester
RB6.6 Kyosho America Product Page: http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/ULTIMA-...T_p_24505.html

RB6.6 Manual http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/in...A_RB6_6_IM.pdf

RB6.6 Kyosho Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW_sR667utY

MSRP $639 MAP $399.99

-------------------------------
New RB6.6 parts (compared exploded views, prices and links are Kyosho America):

Chassis:
  1. Main chassis - UM731 - $125.99
  2. Side guards - UM732 - $9.99

Battery Holder:
  1. Battery plate - UM733 - $8.99
  2. Battery foam - UM741 - $7.99

Rear Bulkheads:
  1. MM3 and Laydown - UM740 - $9.99
    • MM3 bulkhead
    • Laydown bulkhead
    • Swaybar Holders

3 Gear Transmission (MM and RM):
  1. Transmission - UM734 - $10.99
    • transmission cases
    • spacers
    • caps
    • plastic FR & RR suspension hangers

2. Gear Cover - UM735 - $6.99

Laydown Transmission (3 and 4 gear possible):
  1. Transmission - UM736 - $10.99
    • transmission cases
    • spacers
    • caps
    • required extra hardware
    • pastic FR suspension hanger

2. 40T idler - UM737 - $6.99
  3. Motor plate - UM738 - $18.99
  4. Gear cover - UM739 - $6.99

Body:
  1. Blade body - UMB05 - $27.99

Optional Parts:
  1. Lightweigt Blade body - UMB05LW - $31.99
  2. Aluminum FR suspension hanger - UMW705B - $28.99 (may be able to file UMW705 to fit)
  3. Brass FR suspension hanger - UMW725B - $30.99 (looks more different than UMW725..someone confirm?)

Typical Upgrades for new RB6.6 Buyers

UMW701 Aluminum Steering Plate (RB6)
UMW702 Aluminum Crank Arm (RB6)
UMW704-0 V2 Aluminum Rear Hub Set(0°/RB6)
UMW705B Aluminum Rear Sus. Holder (RF/RB6.6) or brass UMW725B
UMW707 Aluminum Rear Sus. Holder (RR-Mid)

Nice to have:

UMW723 Aluminum Front Sus Block (Type B/10g/RB6/RT6/SC6).

Aftermarket Parts:

Front Wing: https://www.prolineracing.com/perfor...mount-alum-rb6

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 07:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hairymuffin
Gearing is key, check your slipper if it’s slipping. Not sure what motor you are running. 72/30-32 for stock.
He said readyset. Isn't it like a 10.5?
Old 02-04-2018, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

Ok, well I wouldnt worry about just one jump. A ready set won’t be adjustable as far as there’s and radio is concerned. Gearing might be your best option,rather than spending money on a new electronics... try going down a tooth on the pinion,also slipper setting
Old 02-05-2018, 06:41 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oPAULo
He said readyset. Isn't it like a 10.5?
He said Readyset 6.6, which means brushed motor. So, ageing brushed motor and nimh batteries are the problem.

Ok, well I wouldnt worry about just one jump. A ready set won’t be adjustable as far as there’s and radio is concerned. Gearing might be your best option,rather than spending money on a new electronics... try going down a tooth on the pinion,also slipper setting
Why would the Readyset be not adjustable? Why would you say not to worry about one jump, then tell him to make a gearing adjustment? His kids car has a brushed motor and nimh batteries, that is the reason he can't make the jump.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:03 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Erob6.6
My son (10) is new to the hobby, starting to race and I’m trying to educate myself and help out. We have the rb6.6 readyset and run on a carpet track. We need some more speed or acceleration to clear one jump. Ungraded tires and adjusted suspension, shocks, etc to improve handling.

Just bought the 3 gear midship to help out (we use stick nimh batteries, so don’t thing we can make lowdown work). But can’t locate detailed assembly instructions, such as what to grease, what kind, how much grease, do I fill something with oil? I believe it has the gear diff as stock.

Thanks for any help you can offer
If you have run the car a bunch, the brushed motor probably needs a rebuild. That is, if you can find a motor lathe and brushes. Brushed motors lose performance as they age.

It might be time to upgrade to brushless. You can probably keep the nimh batteries for a little while, but going to a lipo battery will be another big upgrade to performance.

Most people in the hobby have older equipment they don't use anymore. Ask around in the pits, you should be able to find some good deals.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by urnotevenwrg2
He said Readyset 6.6, which means brushed motor. So, ageing brushed motor and nimh batteries are the problem.

Why would the Readyset be not adjustable? Why would you say not to worry about one jump, then tell him to make a gearing adjustment? His kids car has a brushed motor and nimh batteries, that is the reason he can't make the jump.
I’m just saying he could mess with gearing as an easy cheap adjustment without spending money on electronics. I highly doubt that esc is adjustable. We don’t even know what the jump looks like for him not to be able to clear it. To many variables, car,driver, setup. Sounds like his kid is a new driver, so that’s why I said don’t worry about one jump. But yes nimble/brushed may play a role in this. I just don’t want to tell a new guy to spend another $150-200 on new electronics for him to have fun
Old 02-05-2018, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oPAULo
Huh. I haven't heard that trick before. Thanks for the reply!
It is also possible that the tire had excess flashing on it and he trimmed off the flashing to get it to sit properly. It isn't an exact science and sometimes you narrow it up to much.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:34 AM
Tech Rookie

I’m just saying he could mess with gearing as an easy cheap adjustment without spending money on electronics. I highly doubt that esc is adjustable. We don’t even know what the jump looks like for him not to be able to clear it. To many variables, car,driver, setup. Sounds like his kid is a new driver, so that’s why I said don’t worry about one jump. But yes nimble/brushed may play a role in this. I just don’t want to tell a new guy to spend another $150-200 on new electronics for him to have fun
Thanks to everyone for the input... you hit the nail on the head, he's running novice, having fun, and I'm not looking to make the next big investment just yet. I know eventually I'll need to spring for a brushless motor/esc & lipo battery. He just barely makes the jump if he drives it perfect, but trying to see what I can tweak to help a bit.

I do have some various pinions so I will try that first. Along with adjusting the slipper.

But it seems by the response, going to a 3 gear midship vs. the 4 gear midship is not going to do that much? Parts to convert the transmission are pretty cheap, but hard to find detailed instructions on changing over/rebuilding.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:53 AM
Suspended

Thanks to everyone for the input... you hit the nail on the head, he's running novice, having fun, and I'm not looking to make the next big investment just yet. I know eventually I'll need to spring for a brushless motor/esc & lipo battery. He just barely makes the jump if he drives it perfect, but trying to see what I can tweak to help a bit.

I do have some various pinions so I will try that first. Along with adjusting the slipper.

But it seems by the response, going to a 3 gear midship vs. the 4 gear midship is not going to do that much? Parts to convert the transmission are pretty cheap, but hard to find detailed instructions on changing over/rebuilding.
The 3 gear vs. 4 gear changes the dynamic of the car. On throttle a 4 gear car loses steering, which makes it difficult to carry corner speed, especially on a high grip track (like carpet). Additionally, the gyroscopic forces from the motor produce a rolling force as the car yaws through a corner. A 4 gear exerts this rolling force in the opposite direction of the corner. This makes a 4 gear car roll more to the outside of a corner, making it even more difficult to drive on a high grip surface.

The 3 gear should make his car easier to drive on carpet. The extra corner speed should make the jump easier to clear.

The RB6.6 manual has all the info to build your car with the different gear box.

Also, this is another reason why I don't like carpet. It creates a false sense of driving ability in new people. Put on the right tires and it is easy to drive around, but as soon as you get a little confidence and start to try to go faster. If the setup is off the car becomes impossible to drive fast, and the new person doesn't have the experience to make the adjustments to make the car easier to drive on the cheat code level of grip carpet provides.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I also got my son the 6.6 rtr. Same story first thing we did was change tires and shock/oil package for carpet. We used a 22 or 23 tooth pinion for the small indoor track for better acceleration and cooler motor temps. The brushed motor didn't last long and I picked up a Orion 3000kv dDrive to replace the brushed system works perfectly. I haven't done the lowdown transmission upgrade yet on the rtr but on my RB6 it made a world of difference on the carpet. Enjoy & have fun racing with your boy!
Old 02-06-2018, 05:21 PM
Tech Rookie

The 3 gear vs. 4 gear changes the dynamic of the car. On throttle a 4 gear car loses steering, which makes it difficult to carry corner speed, especially on a high grip track (like carpet). Additionally, the gyroscopic forces from the motor produce a rolling force as the car yaws through a corner. A 4 gear exerts this rolling force in the opposite direction of the corner. This makes a 4 gear car roll more to the outside of a corner, making it even more difficult to drive on a high grip surface.

The 3 gear should make his car easier to drive on carpet. The extra corner speed should make the jump easier to clear.

The RB6.6 manual has all the info to build your car with the different gear box.

Also, this is another reason why I don't like carpet. It creates a false sense of driving ability in new people. Put on the right tires and it is easy to drive around, but as soon as you get a little confidence and start to try to go faster. If the setup is off the car becomes impossible to drive fast, and the new person doesn't have the experience to make the adjustments to make the car easier to drive on the cheat code level of grip carpet provides.
Thanks! Interesting never thought that far into it...sounds like 3 gear is worth a shot, a little more speed around the corner would really help in setting up for the jump. Then I'll drop a tooth on the pinion and we'll be cooking around the track.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:14 PM
Suspended

Thanks! Interesting never thought that far into it...sounds like 3 gear is worth a shot, a little more speed around the corner would really help in setting up for the jump. Then I'll drop a tooth on the pinion and we'll be cooking around the track.
The low down gear box will be the best for carpet, but I would try the 3 gear since you already have it.

Have your boy focus on driving the proper line, no matter how slow he has to go. Have him watch the really good drivers to see where they place their cars. Have him watch stock and mod drivers (if you have both classes where you race) so he can see the difference between the lines they take.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:22 PM
Tech Addict

The low down gear box will be the best for carpet, but I would try the 3 gear since you already have it.

Have your boy focus on driving the proper line, no matter how slow he has to go. Have him watch the really good drivers to see where they place their cars. Have him watch stock and mod drivers (if you have both classes where you race) so he can see the difference between the lines they take.
Yup. If your new to the hobby the difference between laydown and standup transmission won't mean much. For a good driver it's tenths of a second. For a new driver it's meaningless...
Old 02-06-2018, 11:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Waterfall brace

Just wondering how you guys sugest holding down the battery after removing the water fall. I took mine out and it really made the car come to life just seemed to really handle much better every where around the track . I was going to just tape it in but I'm racing at a track the required lipo bags to charge so looking for a good option .
Old 02-07-2018, 03:11 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wisconsinbasher
Just wondering how you guys sugest holding down the battery after removing the water fall. I took mine out and it really made the car come to life just seemed to really handle much better every where around the track . I was going to just tape it in but I'm racing at a track the required lipo bags to charge so looking for a good option .
Seems like most just cut the waterfall to keep the battery strap.

Old 02-07-2018, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wisconsinbasher
Taping in your battery is a bad idea,cutting the waterfall is enough flex if that is what you are after. I would give maifield credit for this, not his fault but,it didn’t really take off until he made the switch to yokomo and a lot of people jumped on board. Did mine like opaulo’s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.