Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help me build my first Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Help me build my first Buggy

I'm selling my E Revo Brusheless and looking to build a 1/8 buggy.

Price is a factor, but not if it really gets in the way of speed and performance.

I'm looking for something in the price range of the Hot Bodies ve8 and the Associated RC8.2 kits.

Since I had the 2200kv mamba monster/castle setup with 2 x 2s 40c LiPo's, I liked the power, but I'll consider something else.

So mostly looking for suggestions from your own experiences. This is completely new to me and there seem to be a lot of good options. I just don't know what a good combination of the following would be a good intermediate level setup.
Motor / ESC
Radio/controller
Buggy Kit
Lipo Batteries
Servo
Receiver (I actually don't even know if this comes with the radio/controller or is purchased seperately)

I'm interested in racing, but will likely be doing solo laps at a local track. So, no need to be top end for everything. Good motor esc / are my priority.

Thanks
Old 07-12-2012, 09:39 AM
Tech Champion

Motor- Tekin 2050 or 1900

ESC- no good ESC's currently exist. All are absolute garbage. We're getting ripped off on ESC's. Try a RX8 or Orion mounted on Kyosho Gyro mounting pad goo. Sensored is the way to go, avoid sensorless.

Radio/controller- Airtronics M11x is the most reliable. Avoid the Spektrum DX2 era radios. I think the Dx3r is ok. KO Propo is good as well, but not as friendly as the M11x.

Buggy Kit- Mugen ECO ,Serpent, or the Xray XB9E (if it ever comes out). The HB, AE, TLR cars will not be any cheaper to run at the end of a season.

Lipo Batteries-avoid big heavy batteries. E races are only 7-10min. Turnigy 4500 4S Hardcase or similar Pro-tek lipos. I'd rather run 3800mah-4000mah if I could find smaller batteries.

Servo- Hitec 7955 or 7950

Receiver-whatever comes with the Airtronics M11x
Old 07-12-2012, 11:48 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Motor- Tekin 2050 or 1900

ESC- no good ESC's currently exist. All are absolute garbage. We're getting ripped off on ESC's. Try a RX8 or Orion mounted on Kyosho Gyro mounting pad goo. Sensored is the way to go, avoid sensorless.

Radio/controller- Airtronics M11x is the most reliable. Avoid the Spektrum DX2 era radios. I think the Dx3r is ok. KO Propo is good as well, but not as friendly as the M11x.

Buggy Kit- Mugen ECO ,Serpent, or the Xray XB9E (if it ever comes out). The HB, AE, TLR cars will not be any cheaper to run at the end of a season.

Lipo Batteries-avoid big heavy batteries. E races are only 7-10min. Turnigy 4500 4S Hardcase or similar Pro-tek lipos. I'd rather run 3800mah-4000mah if I could find smaller batteries.

Servo- Hitec 7955 or 7950

Receiver-whatever comes with the Airtronics M11x
Wow, that radio almost made my spit soda all over my monitor. I may have to cheap out a bit on that. Like I said, not going to be competitive, just need to get into the 1/8 with something I'm not going to want to replace when I get better.

What did you mean that the other buggies wouldn't be any cheaper at the end of a season?