Search

LOSI JRX / JRX2 Diff

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 10:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default LOSI JRX / JRX2 Diff

Anyone..

Have just bought 2 JRXs from back in the day, very good condition. Thing is how do these diffs work in relation to something more modern. Did people swap the ball diffs out and put another better style of diff in?

Reason I ask is because I cannot for the life of me get these 2 diffs (ball bearing, with new balls) to work like a modern diff like in a B4.1 or any other 2WD. All lubed and greased, new thrust bearing and diff plates, all new/cleaned, concial thrust washers correctly mounted, but when i tighten the diff up, its way too tight and when i do the rotate test, eg spin the right wheel, and expect the left to do a reverse rotation, its too tight, loosen it up, then the centre gear is slipping. Were these diffs always like "locker" diffs, or are they just never to work as our modern cars today? Were there options to use other diffs from another car?

Cheers
Old 05-15-2012, 10:25 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ViGiLaNtE351
Anyone..

Have just bought 2 JRXs from back in the day, very good condition. Thing is how do these diffs work in relation to something more modern. Did people swap the ball diffs out and put another better style of diff in?

Reason I ask is because I cannot for the life of me get these 2 diffs (ball bearing, with new balls) to work like a modern diff like in a B4.1 or any other 2WD. All lubed and greased, new thrust bearing and diff plates, all new/cleaned, concial thrust washers correctly mounted, but when i tighten the diff up, its way too tight and when i do the rotate test, eg spin the rightwheel, and expect the left to do a reverse rotation, its too tight, loosen it up, then the centre gear is slipping. Were these diffs always like "locker" diffs, or are they just never to work as our modern cars today? Were there options to use other diffs from another car?

Cheers
ok u found 2 jrxs??? i never heard of anyone changing out the diff balls for anything else??? i had one? the stock stuff worked back in the day, now there was a retro fit tansmissiom that fit the jrx 2 se ,pro se, and the jr 2, the stock transmission was a 6 gear box, and the retro fit was a 3 gear
Old 05-15-2012, 10:45 PM
Tech Master

Ive read about the retro fit diffs, but surely these standard diffs are designed to work as a smooth rotating assembly. I would be super grateful if someone has tips on getting these to work. BTW im using Dif Lube from RC 10 Stealth kit i had from years ago, should I be using something LOSI put out...or is diff lube...diff lube?

Cheers
Old 05-15-2012, 10:49 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ive read about the retro fit diffs, but surely these standard diffs are designed to work as a smooth rotating assembly. I would be super grateful if someone has tips on getting these to work. BTW im using Dif Lube from RC 10 Stealth kit i had from years ago, should I be using something LOSI put out...or is diff lube...diff lube?

Cheers
that is what i would use, ur good!!
Old 05-16-2012, 03:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

I remember getting the JRX-2 when it came out. Great car back in the day. Never did anything to the diff other than keep it properly cleaned and lubed and it was very nice. Maybe you have it too tight?
Old 05-16-2012, 05:00 AM
Tech Master

Like I said, too tight, then backit off, and its too lose and just slips. I'm using yokomo 3/32 balls, new double bearing main gear and its all new/cleaned. Both diffs are doing the same thing.

Cheers
Old 05-16-2012, 05:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Like I said, too tight, then backit off, and its too lose and just slips. I'm using yokomo 3/32 balls, new double bearing main gear and its all new/cleaned. Both diffs are doing the same thing.

Cheers
Honestly it's been so long I don't have any tips for you...I can never remember having a similar issue. If I had one to work with I'm sure I could help but it is long since gone.

Can you post some photos?
Old 05-16-2012, 06:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I run my LRM tranny diff gear tight (6 gear transmission), car drives fantastic. I recently built and installed a XX retro fit, but have yet to run the car on the track with it.

I have always ran my JRX LRM diffs tighter than normal, if they start to slip, you will melt the diff gear (from lots of experience).

I am running a slipper top shaft & brushless/lipo.