Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
LOsi 8ight B 2.0/ Driver/ owner need your help! >

LOsi 8ight B 2.0/ Driver/ owner need your help!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LOsi 8ight B 2.0/ Driver/ owner need your help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default LOsi 8ight B 2.0/ Driver/ owner need your help!

Hey guys, I have been having an issue with my 8 making a weird cliking noise when braking! it sounds like a loud "click" when braking from a full throttle speed.I have check all the diff, fron, center and rear, gears are all fine..changed the diff fluid(5,7,3) replace all the drive cups, all the cvds, everything , my car is pretty much overhauled, but it does makes a clicking noise, whats weird is, it only does make noise sometimes!! , if I do it on the concrete(parking lot) it doesnt make that noise from top speed then braking. like I said if i am in the track it does click but only once in awhile, like it will click if she wants to! really weird.about the shimmed issue, I am not sure I did it correctly, I did put 2 shimms both side on center diff.
if you are experiencing same issue or you know how to treat this annoying noise please help.

Thanks,
Allan
Old 04-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by only8ight
Hey guys, I have been having an issue with my 8 making a weird cliking noise when braking! it sounds like a loud "click" when braking from a full throttle speed.I have check all the diff, fron, center and rear, gears are all fine..changed the diff fluid(5,7,3) replace all the drive cups, all the cvds, everything , my car is pretty much overhauled, but it does makes a clicking noise, whats weird is, it only does make noise sometimes!! , if I do it on the concrete(parking lot) it doesnt make that noise from top speed then braking. like I said if i am in the track it does click but only once in awhile, like it will click if she wants to! really weird.about the shimmed issue, I am not sure I did it correctly, I did put 2 shimms both side on center diff.
if you are experiencing same issue or you know how to treat this annoying noise please help.

Thanks,
Allan
Most likely the rear diff, ring and pinion gear slipping under stress... add one more spacer oppisite your ring gear on the bearing (thus pushing the two gears tighter together) and it should go away, for at least a little while. This does happen to the front diff as well but far more rare.

EDIT: If it still does it after that try taking away 1 of the shims on the ring side.. or moving it from the ring side to the oppisite side.

Last edited by 8ight-e; 04-23-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Tech Regular

is this normal if the gears are worn out? is that what it is? cause my gears looks ok to me.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

YOU need to re-shim your rear diff the 8ight thread has specfic instructions I actually posted something a few weeks ago need to do it right away or you will be buying new gears soon.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I had the same issue on mine. I replaced the plastic rear diff inserts with the aluminium ones and problem solved. Prior to that all the shims in the world didn't seem to help.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Tech Regular

how many shimm do I put on each side of the ring gear? is it 2 on each side for correct shimming? Thanks
Old 04-24-2012, 12:25 PM
Tech Regular

How do I know when to replace the ring gear and pinion gear? I know there a way to check it cause I dont wanna buy them yet if I dont need them right now. they arent cheap too so i can save my money on something else if I dont need one.