Search
Like Tree2Likes

Tekno RC EB48 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 05:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wadecarlson
I have seen techno products. I wanted to get an opinion about how they stack up to losi and mugen products. Not trying to start a fight here!
Originally Posted by MX304
I have owned all three. For me Tekno has been the best with Mugen a close second and Losi a distant third.
This is a to each his own of the newest models many would argue for the 8ight-e 3.0 and the Mugen as well as the Tekno. Losi debut @ #1in it's first big race over all others.. and has won most major events since (good drivers? maybe but the buggy is needed). That said none of the cars you mentioned will bring you down, but finding a setup and one that suits your style can very. As far as quality they are all top notch buggies, in fact I'm just moving to the tekno but I can say from experience last year the version ones broke far more often than either the losi or mugen. The durability is up w/ the .2 but I saw a local guy break a front a-arm on a pretty normal landing on our triple.. he was a little off but the losi and mugen never flinch at it. So I'm not putting down one or the other just saying what I've seen. My 8ight-e 2.0 is in mint shape and I raced it all last season with out a single issue or break. I hope I get the same performance this year with my new eb48.2 that will be here in a few days
Old 12-29-2013, 06:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just got my eb friday night... switched it all over from a losi 2.0e

With NO practice laps, I showed up to the track late from work, missing 1st qualifier.

Ran 3 or so laps and had an servo horn issue between rounds.

2nd qual still had an issue and only a few laps run...

3rd qual... All issues worked out, I laid down my BEST qual to date on this lay out by a good 10-15 seconds.

Not bad for first time out with a new to me car!

I felt like this car could do no wrong... I didnt want to give up the losi as it was stable and consistent. But this EB drove like a dream! much more nimble, could cut down turn radiuses due to the massive weight savings, and I didnt have to try so DAMM hard to make it fast like the 2.0e.

I cant wait to get a solid night in!
Old 12-30-2013, 08:29 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Double post

Last edited by shaggy2112; 12-30-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:29 AM
Tech Adept

Getting into racing this year with my 2 sons and have already got the tekno sct. after reading about 800 pages in that thread now my 21 y/o wants to get a tekno buggy. Instead of reading another 700 pages here I was hoping to get a few questions answered to save myself some time as I know much of it will be reduntant since they share many of the same parts and geometry.

We will be running on a large outdoor track/ medium bite.

im seeing motor esc combos are all over the place what I have read so far. What motor/esc combo should we be looking for to be competitive? Im thinking 2000ish kv on 4s should be good from what ive read so far. what C rating and battery size are acceptable ( really important in the sct ). I know the tekin stuff is great but is the viper or HW esc an option? Have the HW sct pro for the truck. What are the differences in the .1 & .2 versions? Will we be fine with the .1 since I will be looking for used? Pretty sure its 17mm hex so will any 1/8th buggy wheels fit? Is it considered a 2.2 tire? Had gotten some 2.2 calibers so hope I can use them on it. Also they say they are front tires...I would think the tires would work front or rear? Like I say sorry for the newb questions...just hoping to cut down on a little reading if I can. Any other differences or important facts I need to know about the buggy compared to the sct would be greatly appreciated. Thx

Last edited by shaggy2112; 12-30-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shaggy2112
Getting into racing this year with my 2 sons and have already got the tekno sct. after reading about 800 pages in that thread now my 21 y/o wants to get a tekno buggy. Instead of reading another 700 pages here I was hoping to get a few questions answered to save myself some time.

im seeing motor esc combos are all over the place what I have read so far. What motor/esc combo should we be looking for to be competitive? Im thinking 2000ish kv on 4s should be good from what ive read so far. what C rating and battery size are acceptable ( really important in the sct ). I know the tekin stuff is great but is the viper or HW esc an option? Have the HW sct pro for the truck. What are the differences in the .1 & .2 versions? Will we be fine with the .1 since I will be looking for used? Pretty sure its 17mm hex so will any 1/8th buggy wheels fit? Is it considered a 2.2 tire? Had gotten some 2.2 calibers so hope I can use them on it. Also they say they are front tires...I would think the tires would work front or rear? Like I say sorry for the newb questions...just hoping to cut down on a little reading if I can. Any other differences or important facts I need to know about the buggy compared to the sct would be greatly appreciated. Thx
I personally run the Tekin RX8 Gen 2 with the Tekin 2050kv motor on 4S.

I'm a fan of Tekin and you can pick up a Gen 1 RX8 for pretty cheap on here these days if you'd like to save a bit. Just make sure it's a 3 hole case.

Another popular option motor wise is the 1900kv from Tekin.

As for Viper/Hobbywing, I can't personally vouch for them but I've heard good things.

The differences between the .1 and .2 aren't massive, but there's definitely some nice bonuses with the .2. You can read about them here.

http://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr5002-...etition-buggy/

As for tires, any 1/8 scale buggy tire/wheel will work. Here is an example...

http://www.raceaka.com/18-BUGGY-EVO-...PCS_p_238.html

You will need 1/8 Buggy specific tires for it... Here are some examples...

http://www.raceaka.com/18-Buggy-Tires_c_7.html

There are other brands that sell 1/8 buggy tires as well such as Jconcepts, Panther, Proline, and Sweep.

As for setup on the buggy if you go this route, I'd be glad to help get you pointed in the right direction for the track conditions you specified.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shaggy2112
Getting into racing this year with my 2 sons and have already got the tekno sct. after reading about 800 pages in that thread now my 21 y/o wants to get a tekno buggy. Instead of reading another 700 pages here I was hoping to get a few questions answered to save myself some time.

First the .1 and .2 are the same buggy, the .2 has the latest and greatest parts. I bought a first run from Tekno and ran it for little over a year before i piked up a fresh kit. If you get a .1 the only things i would pick up are the XD arms and the new rear diff housing + bearing for it. Everything else you can get by with just fine. Picking up extra parts as needed that you would do for any Off Road RC. Motor and ESC wise. I would go with the Tekin 1900 or 2050. OR Tenshock 2150, That motor is a beast...but whatever you find on sale really. Those are all on the level. ESC, you'll pay for Tekin, but HW is just as good. I don't know anything about viper, except I've been beat by all three.
2.2 tires is a CORR truck tire. 1/8 scale buggy tires are 1/8 scale buggy tires. They are all 17mm, unless you go with something really weird that I've never ran into. Before you pickup tires I would see what the locals are running and go with that.
Batteries are a kinda big issue with some racers. Some say buy good batteries with a high C, other say you don't need it because of the voltage. I picked up some SMC race formula 70C because they were on sale. One of the Tekno sponsored drivers at my track runs some off the wall battery 35 or 40C. I've been beat by both, high and low end. Amainhobbies has some eco power 35C, it's their brand battery. Those will get you by just fine, or some Turnigy 4s, you can pick up cheap. Iv'e been beat by a battery that looked like a bomb once. Lets be honest with this one. If your getting into 1/8 scale, your not gonna need the high end batteries. The chances of you coming in and dominating the field are pretty low. BUT if you do (good for you) you'll get a sponsorship in minutes and you won't have to worry about it.
Good luck and welcome to the club
Old 12-30-2013, 09:11 AM
Tech Regular

Tekno, did you guy beef up the motor/diff mount? Another Tekno driver ordered a new motor mount. The bottom screw position, its no longer an open slot, it's just a slot. That would be awesome if you did or did he get a "oops, we missed that one on the milling side"
Looking at your site, its doesnt say anything and or it doesnt have an updated picture
Old 12-30-2013, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dont Hack Me
Tekno, did you guy beef up the motor/diff mount? Another Tekno driver ordered a new motor mount. The bottom screw position, its no longer an open slot, it's just a slot. That would be awesome if you did or did he get a "oops, we missed that one on the milling side"
Looking at your site, its doesnt say anything and or it doesnt have an updated picture
+1 any beefier motor mounts? I just built a .2 and am thinking about the et48 and i'd like to see an option that's compatible with both.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:52 AM
Tech Regular

Hi,

Do you all think that the "2 parts" motor mounts are so good ?
I'm using an old RCMonster one, not on a Tekno Buggy, but I prefer the "classic" motor mount. I'm planning to design a new motor mount for the Tekno V4 conversion I will run on my RC8.2 for 2014.
Here in france, I don't really know how the drivers are using the chassis braces, but it seems that there is a little problem with the motor mount of the EB48.
It's the same thing with the other brands, in my opinion, there is a problem with the motor mount with 2 parts. At the beginning it was for me a really good idea, but with the time, I can see too much motors that are finally not really "in line" with the center diff, with a bad result for the pinion/spur gear alignment, because of the wear it takes with the time...
The problem I especially heard about the EB48, is that the motor is touching the chassis plate with big jumps, and some drivers are running with the V4 motor mount. I don't really like this motor mount with the 4 holes on the chassis plate (nitro style), because I prefer the motor to be placed on the same mount as the center diff (better reliability of the gear mesh in my opinion).
So, what do you think about all those motor mounts ?
For the EB48, here in France drivers are asking for the same thing, a beefier motor mount. But their problem is with the motor touching the chassis plate sometimes. Do you have the same problem ? Why (technically) do you want an other motor mount ?
Thanks,
Bye !
Old 12-30-2013, 11:02 AM
Tech Adept

I,m from the Netherlands and mostely race my EB48 in Germany.
I have the same Problem.
My Motormount has bent inwards and sometimes my Motor touches the Chassis, I can see this as my Motor has some Scratches on it.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KOULLIT
Hi,

Do you all think that the "2 parts" motor mounts are so good ?
I'm using an old RCMonster one, not on a Tekno Buggy, but I prefer the "classic" motor mount. I'm planning to design a new motor mount for the Tekno V4 conversion I will run on my RC8.2 for 2014.
Here in france, I don't really know how the drivers are using the chassis braces, but it seems that there is a little problem with the motor mount of the EB48.
It's the same thing with the other brands, in my opinion, there is a problem with the motor mount with 2 parts. At the beginning it was for me a really good idea, but with the time, I can see too much motors that are finally not really "in line" with the center diff, with a bad result for the pinion/spur gear alignment, because of the wear it takes with the time...
The problem I especially heard about the EB48, is that the motor is touching the chassis plate with big jumps, and some drivers are running with the V4 motor mount. I don't really like this motor mount with the 4 holes on the chassis plate (nitro style), because I prefer the motor to be placed on the same mount as the center diff (better reliability of the gear mesh in my opinion).
So, what do you think about all those motor mounts ?
For the EB48, here in France drivers are asking for the same thing, a beefier motor mount. But their problem is with the motor touching the chassis plate sometimes. Do you have the same problem ? Why (technically) do you want an other motor mount ?
Thanks,
Bye !
It's not so much as the 2 piece motor mount is a bad design, (works plenty good on losi 8ights), it's just that the tekno one is a little too thin on the bottom guide rail for where the motor slides into. The design should be left alone, but more beefy rails like this losi mount:

see how thin the tekno is compared to the losi one above

If you were to manufacture one, i'd certainly buy it and maybe another if i buy an et48.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

i know I had an elite rc mount on rc8.2 vehicles and that is the best motor mount PERIOD!
wish he made one for TEKNO Truggy and Buggy with heavier motors
sc mount is fine

http://www.elitercd.com/
Old 12-30-2013, 12:10 PM
Tech Regular

Hi,
Thank you for your answers. In fact, I'm not actually planning to produce one motor mount for EB48, I will just (maybe) produce one for my RC8.2 V4 converted. I'm talking with some EB48 drivers, and just want to talk about the solutions for this chassis.
If I decided one day to produce one motor mount, it will be one part only.
I know ELITE RC, I wanted to order him a motor mount but I have to be honest I still haven't contact him. I'm very sorry with the story about its thread, it's my fault , but it was involuntary.
For sure ELITE RC has designed the best motor mounts actually done, even if in my personnal opinion, and for my personal use, I prefer a motor mount in one part.
Will try to contact him if I don't make my own motor mount, because the problem is the same with the Tekno V4 kits. I know I'm very hard to please, but it's a good thing for me to know your opinion !
Thanks,
Bye !
Old 12-30-2013, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dont Hack Me
One of the Tekno sponsored drivers at my track runs some off the wall battery 35 or 40C. ...
Its a 60C!

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...200mah-4s.html
Old 12-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Your battery C rating, along with MaH will depend on the ESC you choose and how long you want/need to race for.

How many amps your ESC need delivered, ie 120, 150 or 220.

You can use an SCT Pro, it will do the job and won't need as beefy a battery as opposed to a 220 amp ESC like Tekin or Viper.

With Viper you can program using a very good box, like the HW stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.