Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Tekno RC EB48 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 10:20 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

+1 been pretty impressed with the Tekno. Its quality is there for sure. Now just need to improve the guy with the steering wheel.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have been away from this thread for a while and was wondering if there has been a true fix for the servo saver problem yet? I saw a while ago that someone modified a Serpent spring and it worked well? Thanks.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

Poet,

The fact that you raced all winter shows in your driving lately. I couldn't stand the indoor track, but I missed out on practice under racing conditions.

The top 4 drivers all ran EB48s and were all within 1/2 second of each other for our fast laps. It all came down to consistency and a little luck. Fair warning, if I get inside of you I won't be backing off anymore. Two weeks in a row I got inside of you on the back section and blinked when you turned for the step up. I got tagged by 3-4 cars both times and wound up spending the rest of the race trying to pass guys I out qualified.

It was good to see Navid, Nicholas and Ryno running the class. I had a great battle with Navid for 2nd.

Originally Posted by justpoet
I had a good day at NorCal Hobbies yesterday, meeting some of the Tekno guys, and then putting the SCT410 and the EB48 at the top of each race. That was despite some mistakes with a couple minutes to go, as I decided to play conservative to be super nice to the battery...and threw myself off, causing tumbles which made battery use larger due to recovery, so I went back to normal. As it was a larger 8th scale club race day, the nitro guys got long mains, so we decided to try longer eBuggy mains too. After talking with folks about usage, we scrapped the 15 min idea and went to 12 to make sure everybody's batteries could handle it. Only one EB didn't finish the race, but that's because the ESC let out the magic smoke on lap 1. The EB48 took the top 4 spots, and after 12 minutes and a few laps to warm up, I put back in aprox 4000mah, showing just how efficient the driveline really is. I'll be uploading video of it tomorrow from a better internet connection, but the EB48 proved very easy to drive. I know I can make it even better (I've been putting bits of Curtis Door's setup on it, one change at a time, and I know I mostly like how his setup feels), but this is a testament to just how good the Tekno is.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

I ran a pair of 2s4200 shorty packs in my EB48. It save about 1/2lb over a 4s 5000-6500mA pack. Honestly, on the outdoor track I don't think it was an advantage. Our track is medium large with big jumps and a lot of flowing turns. There is only one tight 180 turn. On a tight track with lots of 180s and braking zones it might be an advantage.

Originally Posted by fievel
Justpoet,
Are you NorCal guys running the eb48 stock or is it a sct410/eb48 like Barry Baker runs down at SDRC? I run on outdoor track and I am fearful of running the super lightweight sct410/eb48 outdoors. Thanks
Old 04-22-2013, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Nicholas,

You might be over revving the motor too much. Were you spinning the tires a lot? Try going back to a 18T with 80-85 current limit. My 1900 after the 12 minute main was ~165-170F, the ESC was ~160F. I haven't recharged my batteries yet. But in the 6 minute quals I was using 2800ma with about 2-3 practice laps (+ 1 minute) I have consistently used about 400ma/minute with my setup since I put this car together.

Current limiter will NOT raise the ESCs temp. It limits the current which should drop the temperature.

Chris

Originally Posted by nicholasxuu

*fastest lap happened in the end of 12mins main...what's wrong with me...
Clear traffic?
Old 04-22-2013, 11:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChrisAttebery
Nicholas,

You might be over revving the motor too much. Were you spinning the tires a lot? Try going back to a 18T with 80-85 current limit. My 1900 after the 12 minute main was ~165-170F, the ESC was ~160F. I haven't recharged my batteries yet. But in the 6 minute quals I was using 2800ma with about 2-3 practice laps (+ 1 minute) I have consistently used about 400ma/minute with my setup since I put this car together.

Current limiter will NOT raise the ESCs temp. It limits the current which should drop the temperature.

Chris

Clear traffic?
Thanks Chris, I'll try 80% current limit first. 18t is a bit scary for me, esc couldn't go lower than 170F.

Fastest lap alone. Smooth, but not really punching. probably have another 2-3s to improve (with a different tire) though.
Still learning the surface and the tire, can't have enough extra focus on traffic.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:11 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

looks like a good size track. where are you topping out at down the longest straight. In general, I gear initially to top out towards the end of the longest straight, and see how it feels around the rest of the track + temps on the motor. As someone else mentioned, could be overrevving and need to go to a bigger pinion.

heck, I am toying withing going to the 1900Kv motor just to have better spread of pinions from my SCT410 so they are not both stomping on the same range versus buying more of the same pinion sizes lol.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kufman
I have been away from this thread for a while and was wondering if there has been a true fix for the servo saver problem yet? I saw a while ago that someone modified a Serpent spring and it worked well? Thanks.
I tried a couple different springs. I had some poor results in the winter series at leisure hours due to the poor choice of spring. I tried a brake shoe spring from a real car, and it worked for a few weeks. I now have the Serpent "hard" spring installed. So far, so good. You do have to dremel out the ID a little to get it to fit. Just don't get it too hot to hold, or you'll change the rate. Tighten so about 1-2mm of the tube is showing.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hey guys,

I just picked up the new optional arms for my car and wanted to see if any of you have tried the outer hole on the arm. I never liked it on the old arms because I couldnt get enough droop. Now with the hole moved up, I want to try it out and go to a softer overall spring rate to compensate for the decreased leverage. I feel this should make the car super smooth in the sweeping sections of the track. What do you guys think? What has been your experience? My car is running great now. I just cant leave good enough alone.lol
Old 04-22-2013, 01:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

[QUOTE=nicholasxuu;12072034]Question about 12mins main:

After 12 mins, I charged 4250mah into my battery, 250mah more than justpoet's probably because I had a few more practice laps than him, before the race start.
Power setup is RX8 + 1900kv T8, with 17t pinion.
The ESC temperature was pretty cool at around 135F, but the motor temperature went up to 180F.

SO, will adding RX8's current limit increase the ESC's temperature?
Because the last time I used 80% current limit (w/ 18t pinion), the motor dropped 20F to 150F, though the ESC was still 170F.
(Turned that off and dropped a pinion gear and got ESC 130F, Motor 150F after 8 mins main).[QUOTE=nicholasxuu;12072034]

I ran this combo last year and had good success all season with temps. I never ran a fan on the ESC or motor. After a 10 min main in 95 degree heat, motor was 155 and esc 135. This may vary if you are running a high "C" rating on the battery. You need to run a 19T pinion with the current limiter at 85. Timing on the ESC at 10 (which is actually only 3 degrees of timing). Be sure you have a few holes in the body for ventilation on the right front corner.
Also a good idea to adjust the start and end RPM on the esc to 5000 - 30000.

I am running the 19T pinion now with the Speed Passion SA2 and getting even lower temps and efficiency so far. But it is still cool weather here and we'll see how it handles 95 degree summer days.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I tried a couple different springs. I had some poor results in the winter series at leisure hours due to the poor choice of spring. I tried a brake shoe spring from a real car, and it worked for a few weeks. I now have the Serpent "hard" spring installed. So far, so good. You do have to dremel out the ID a little to get it to fit. Just don't get it too hot to hold, or you'll change the rate. Tighten so about 1-2mm of the tube is showing.
Cool, I will have to give the Serpent spring a try. Last time I was at LH, I just locked the servo saver. Drove really well, but in the long run it will probably destroy the servo.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Thanks for the info .
Odd u mention the 8.2 not having any rear traction cause I want more steering . lol I come from on road racing and just like a loose car
Old 04-22-2013, 04:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Here's the 12 min race we were referring to earlier. My driving can still use some improvement (I really need to stop first lap crashing), but it went pretty well.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Snakeman00711
Hello my name is Tom I have been out of the RC racing game for 10 or 15 years I just bought an EB 48 and finish putting it together I live in Chicago Illinois area and would like to start racing or at least practicing at leisure hours hobby in Joliet does anybody with an EB 48 race at leisure our hobbies if so Would you mind helping me out And learn the ropes of RC racing again thanks in advance tom
There are a couple of us with the EB48. Shoot me a PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bortzilla
I ran a RC8.2e last year...between the screws and bushing consistently falling out of the steering blocks (granted, they have upgraded their steering blocks since then) and never having any rear traction, I was so frustrated that I considered dumping this class...over the winter I saw the EB48 (built from the ground up as an electric buggy, what a concept!) saw all the positive reviews, and made the switch...never looking back.

Last year I was consistently B or C main material...this year with the EB48 I've been up with the big boys in the A.

If you go Tekno, you won't be disappointed.

That is just my 2 cents...
The 0 hole on the tower would have fixed the rear traction issue...also theres one steering block screw on the eb48 that keeps backing itself out...never had this problem on the rc8.2 because they have an aluminum option. Still waiting on those from tekno.

And I would have sworn my rc8.2 had one of the best steering in its class...the eb48 is better but not by a drastic amount.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.