Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie in the Middle Eastern Desert

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 06:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Newbie in the Middle Eastern Desert

Hi all. Im looking into buying a R/C car/truck for the desert out here in Kuwait. I was orginally looking into going nitro but I've run into a couple problems. First getting fuel (or anything flamable) isn't easy to get on a military base. Second, since the enviornment out here is so dusty and rocky, I was thinking I might be in better shape if I went with an electric setup. And when I say dusty, I mean when it rains, it rains mud.

I was hoping to get some input as to what might be recommended for around $300-$350 in this type of climate. I want something fast and that I don't have to put alot of parts into (again, I don't have the luxury of running down to my local hobby shop). I have been mainly looking at a Traxxas E-Maxx but didn't know if there might be something more solid or more "maintainable".

Anyways, I apologize for not going to the newbie area first but I thought this would be a better place to start off with a specific question. Thanks in advance for any input!!
Old 01-30-2005, 04:13 PM
Suspended

Location: please try not to look at my avatar to long may cause u know what

if u want something fast i would recomend getting a stadum truck or buggy second hande and get a brushless syestem for it.but if u want a monster truck go with an emaxx but dont forget with the emaxx for the drive train u will have doubble the chances of somthing breaking like 2 motors spurs esc batts ext. and u will need a 2 batts or 4 and a duale charger.. so u would be best off with truck or buggy. i would go with losi or hpis emt.good luck to ya
Old 01-30-2005, 05:27 PM
Tech Regular

hard to give you advice on this. its hard without a hobby store nearby. something is bound to break.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:50 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Best bet may be to stock up on common broken parts and other parts that wear.

a brushless system may be the best bet also, I believe the cans on the brushless motors have no openings so that limits the chance of sand getting into them unlike a conventional motor.

Do you want 4wd or 2wd? I would say both have there benefits, but the 2wd vehicle will be easier on parts especially in those conditions.

I would probably go with either a T3 or T4, put some soft monster style tires on it that have a wide contact patch and reverse the tread to pack the sand under the tires and get a Novak or that LRP brushless system and go from there. Also run a bead of black grease or some other sealant around the connection points of the tranny case to really keep the sand out.

A T3 you can get pretty cheap on ebay, like 50 bucks. Buy several of them, RPM parts as well as they are super durable, and you are set. Its a great bashing vehicle and is more durable than the T4 in my opinion. It will be cheap to stock up on as well.