Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TLR 4WD 1/10 Rumors?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 06:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I love my xx4. But I'm going to be heated if they release a new short course before a new 4w buggy! I hear all these rumors that they are basing a new 4w off of the xx4 (which I think would be unbeatable!) But lord knows whats true. I'll be running the xx4 and see what tlr comes out with. At the rate TLR/Losi's been going with these new cars, it's going to be an awesome car
Old 03-29-2012, 07:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default No Idea!

I dont have a clue what will come out when but i would love to see a TLR 4wd that has the driveline efficiency of the XXX4.
Add to that the balance and geometry (and unique tough look) of the XX4 to the innovation and build quality of the TLR22 and i feel that it will be a solid platform! My 2c!

Similarly to when the 22 was released, i think we will all be suprised if and when a new 4wd platform comes out. While there was a lot of speculation as to how the 22 would differ over the XXX platform, i know i was suprised to see what eventuated, particularly how solid the car was!

If nothing else, it gives us all plenty to talk about on these forums!!
Old 03-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dyno Dan
Interesting thread. The designer of the 10SC 4x4 wasnt fired, he moved on to another job in the industry.
+1
Old 03-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RCBuddha
Forgot where I read it, but I thought ROAR didn't like the Shorty packs? Something about building cars around the shorty design?

After some thought, I'd would like to see them continue the 1 belt design (more of a dream really). Same layout as the XXX4, but instead of molded graphite tub, flat plate graphite and aluminum bulkheads. Maybe take the suspension geometry off the XX4?

OR...I'm imagining an Xray T3 '12-style chassis layout with longer arms. I think the Touring cars have achieved pretty good balance in their designs, and it wouldn't be hard to make the chassis perform for offroad.

We shall see....
xx-4 susp + xxx-4 layout/drivetrain = x-factory X5.. but with a flat graphite plate chassis like the TRF501 instead of the Durga, right?
Old 03-29-2012, 08:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Corey Bernardo
I am never ceased in amazement of what the public has to say.... Interesting thread indeed ... lmao gotta love rctech
+1
Old 03-29-2012, 10:21 PM
Tech Addict

i hav heard from someone that spoke to TLR at the Cactus the the plans for a new car hav been sent to the losi's makers in Taiwan and may see a new car in the new year (if the world is still here!) so the car is on the market for the worlds! I was also told that it will be a shaft car!!!
lets see if he is right
Old 03-29-2012, 10:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The_Doctor
i hav heard from someone that spoke to TLR at the Cactus the the plans for a new car hav been sent to the losi's makers in Taiwan and may see a new car in the new year (if the world is still here!) so the car is on the market for the worlds! I was also told that it will be a shaft car!!!
lets see if he is right
I couldn't imagine it being a shaft car. At the Reedy race they said they were testing the xx4's now that drivetrain efficiency isn't an issue anymore due to battery and motor technology. I would suppose they were learning form that to help develop the next generation car. I had even heard dyno commenting on how poorly shaft drive cars accelerate and how under acceleration, the motor torque cause the car to not accelerate straight as well as influence the jumping characteristics. So, I don't see why they would then make a shaft drive car.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by OptimumRC
I couldn't imagine it being a shaft car. At the Reedy race they said they were testing the xx4's now that drivetrain efficiency isn't an issue anymore due to battery and motor technology. I would suppose they were learning form that to help develop the next generation car. I had even heard dyno commenting on how poorly shaft drive cars accelerate and how under acceleration, the motor torque cause the car to not accelerate straight as well as influence the jumping characteristics. So, I don't see why they would then make a shaft drive car.
Really? Dyno said that?

"Testing a belt car now that drivetrain efficiency isn't an issue anymore?" A point A to B belt drive anything is more efficient from start until the belt no longer sees a load. Thus belt drives are not efficient at higher RPM due to "lashing" or harmonics.

Shaft drive cars don't accelerate as well due to a bit heavier drive train. Shafts, CVA's, couplers and the connecting components are all together heavier than a belt or two or ten.

With brushless motors we don't see the rotational forces that we use to with an armature full of copper. Do the center shaft weights play a roll in torque steer? They can. A properly engineered shaft drive drive train won't suffer from the ill effects of torque steer.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I heard the new 4wd buggy will be out in 2 weeks.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:22 PM
Team Tekin

Whatever it is, I hope it's aluminum chassis, shaft drive, gear diffs, big bores, 12mm hexes and carbon towers.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TY@TEAMTEKIN
Whatever it is, I hope it's aluminum chassis, shaft drive, gear diffs, big bores, 12mm hexes and carbon towers.
I agree.... except for the gear diffs and shaft drive.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:55 PM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by kufman
I agree.... except for the gear diffs and shaft drive.
I bet it will have the ability to run both gear and ball diffs, that would be nice. I'll be honest, I really like my Durango, so if TLR did something similar I would be happy.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Sounds like a hint...
Old 03-30-2012, 01:14 PM
Tech Regular

Most of the people out there are waiting for a brand new TLR 4WD. No one knows when it will be out, we are here and we are waiting for....

In the middle of these rumors, my XX4 WE is a still in shape and very competitive.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

I can live with belts and ball diffs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.