Wiki Posts
Search

Blinky poll

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 07:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chaseman1
Blinky is just as expensive as mod minus the esc. But you dont see many low end esc's in the class
Blinky is more expensive than mod if you want to be competitive. Your car can still be fast with a mediocre battery and old mod motor... the same isn't true of stock, especially blinky stock. I personally don't care for the equipment wars that are created. The slower the spec class, the more the equipment matters.

With all that being said, I welcome blinky because it looks like it will create a consistent mod class at my local track, and I can stop running stock all together.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:00 PM
Tech Adept

yes stock should be always blinky. timing escs are expensive and excessive timing will make motors run hotter and wear faster making it even more expensive. no timing just makes it cheaper and simpler = more fun.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cnelson3
I really never bought into the "expensive speed control" theory. aside from tires, stock anything is super expensive to stay competitive. every time a new motor comes out or a super high "c" rated battery, you had to have it. if anything, non blinky made it less expensive.
This is exactly why I dont run "stock". It's all a bunch of BS, and always has been. You always have worry about who's running what, and what else they might be doing to be fast, whether it might be twisting coms like back in the day or more recently, people hacking the speedos and making them blink with boost.

Waaaaaaaaay too many people run stock. (Sandbaggers)
"Slow is fast." Yes it is, but come on people! It's time to put the stock motor down. 5, 10, 20 years is too long to be running stock. When you have the eternal "stock masters" always dominating the stock class, it intimidates and drives off the newer drivers that feel like they can never come close to competing. You cant expect newbies to run novice forever.
Stock should be for the slower, less skilled drivers. After a certain point it's time to step it up a little bit.

And just to add one more thing for people to hate me for....
Stock should be 21.5

Just opinions of course. I guess everyone has one
Old 02-29-2012, 09:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i think motor advance on the end ball should be 0 degs as well as all motors are different from factory

i ran stock in on road and it was a joke IMO i know i had no timing on my esc and 10 degs on the motor and was still not in the ball park , as guys i was running against had motor timing up to 50degs it was not even close to fair

until the rules are you can only use this motor and this esc i dont believe it would ever be a level playing feild

and yes now your right about the latest Lipo's and C ratings etc
Old 02-29-2012, 09:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sean B.
This is exactly why I dont run "stock". It's all a bunch of BS, and always has been. You always have worry about who's running what, and what else they might be doing to be fast, whether it might be twisting coms like back in the day or more recently, people hacking the speedos and making them blink with boost.

Waaaaaaaaay too many people run stock. (Sandbaggers)
"Slow is fast." Yes it is, but come on people! It's time to put the stock motor down. 5, 10, 20 years is too long to be running stock. When you have the eternal "stock masters" always dominating the stock class, it intimidates and drives off the newer drivers that feel like they can never come close to competing. You cant expect newbies to run novice forever.
Stock should be for the slower, less skilled drivers. After a certain point it's time to step it up a little bit.

And just to add one more thing for people to hate me for....
Stock should be 21.5

Just opinions of course. I guess everyone has one
I agree on all points.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:13 PM
Tech Legend

Blinky just makes boosting a even bigger advantage ...

plus 1 for boost , no blink ...
Old 02-29-2012, 09:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I run 17.5 blinky SC at my local track. Is it fun? Sure is. Is it slower than mod - not really. On a tight technical track, you still can only go so fast. On big open tracks, that's where a mod motor can have move legs and put down some serious speed.

The thing to remember with 17.5 blinky or any limited motor class is the fast guys are always going to be fast and the demand on equipment is always going to be high. Typically spec guys are going to gear their motors to the limit - to wring every last bit of speed out of the motor. This will result in motor failure eventually. Just tonight I geared up my 17.5 and went from 125 degrees to 144. Will I go higher next time? Maybe if it maks me more competitive.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:21 PM
Tech Addict

This is why I don't race any "stock" classes. Rules differ too much from track to track.

It's actually cheaper for me to run mod because the way I'm geared I'm only @ 120 degrees temp wise on the motor have all the power I need and I know the thing will last because I'm not pushing the motor to its design limit heat-wise.

I've seen people roast 17.5s more frequently than the mod motors because either they boost the piss out of the esc and build up heat in the motor. Or, in the case of non-boost they advance the timing on the can then gear up and again build too much heat in the motor.

So, in short I don't think it makes too much of a difference at the track. The same racers that would spend $170 on a high-end esc will now just spend it on ridiculous high C rating batts.

One thing people forget about the cost of racing is that you can't really control the cost that people are willing to spend on their stuff regardless of the rules.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scott51
No.

Timing is unfair for those who can't afford the high prices of the esc's that can be competive
I'm completely in favor of blinky racing for a multitude of reasons, but the cost argument against timing esc's is absolutely absurd. There are many esc's available for $100 or less that are plenty capable of winning in boosted 17.5- the Hobbywing comes to mind immediately.

Blinky racing has increased our local stock class participation in a big way, I'd say car counts are close to double on a regular basis from boosted. The racing is better- closer lap times, closer finishes, tighter fields, and less rough driving (in sc). It's also much easier for beginners to control so they get better more quickly. I was against blinky for a long time, but seeing all the positives that it brings I wish we would have done it a long time ago.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:18 PM
Tech Regular

I run blinky cause its fun hands down. The class is huge and at the places I race in the mod class its like watching a ifmar world championship on some nights! For a fast guy thats not a superpro blinky is where its at where Im from!
Old 03-01-2012, 12:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by henry

One thing people forget about the cost of racing is that you can't really control the cost that people are willing to spend on their stuff regardless of the rules.
That is absolutely on the money. The only way to get a truly inexpensive stock class would be to race a specific RTR out of the box.

But of course that would have it's inherent problems.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

For all the reasons stated above, my track only runs sportsman2 or pro2. Its based on your driving skill. Rules out all BS and it levels out the field.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Yes stock class should blinky.
If you can be fast in a stock class you will be fast in a mod class as long as you can handle the power.

Everyone is on this bigger is better/fast trip right now at some of the local tracks I go to. Yet my little 17.5T in my Buggy hands them their a**. People are using a larger motor to make up for the lack of driving skill.

I feel Blinky modes makes it more about the driver and a well setup truck/car. Even than you still have advantages over others in blinkly mode due to motor selection. One 13.5 motor is not the same as another.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:25 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Timmahhh
Blinky is more expensive than mod if you want to be competitive. Your car can still be fast with a mediocre battery and old mod motor... the same isn't true of stock, especially blinky stock. I personally don't care for the equipment wars that are created. The slower the spec class, the more the equipment matters.

With all that being said, I welcome blinky because it looks like it will create a consistent mod class at my local track, and I can stop running stock all together.
This is an antiquated viewpoint that hasn't been relevant since brushed motors were still being run. Maybe it holds if you are an elite level driver running on carpet, but not dirt (this is the electric off-road forum).

I run a 2 season old Tekin 17.5 and a 2+ season old 40c battery and nobody is any faster than me in 2wd off-road stock because of their equipment. The "fast guy" (with the newest stuff) pulls max 1-3ft on my by the end of the straight. If I drive a better line onto the straight, that's gone.

Oh, and you (people in general) don't gear to "temp". Gear to best performance, check temp to be sure you're not cooking anything. 9 times out of 10 if the temp is high, it's not running as well as it would if you geared down a couple of teeth.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Given equal driving skill and setup acumen, the guy who's willing to burn up his spec motor is always going to be faster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.