Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree6Likes

Team Durango DEST210R thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 06:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It's actually a pretty good truck, especially for the price! There is one issue though and that is Durango has not yet verified whether or not they are going to continue producing this kit! As an example, the body has been discontinued and according to others there is no other body that is a direct replacement for fitment. Most of the parts are either interchangeable with the SCT version (A-arms, shock towers, CV bones, axles, etc.) and some of the parts are also interchangeable with the DEX210 buggy (Rear hubs, the entire tranny, hingpins, A-arm pivot blocks, etc.). The truck can be built for either rear motor or Mid motor out of the box. I personally believe that it is discontinued or will be due to the fact that SCT has pretty much killed ST trucks popularity and not as many people run them anymore. When Tower had the original DEX210 buggys marked down to $139.99, they sold all the stock they had of them in about two weeks! The DEST210 was also marked down about the same time for the same price and they still have them in stock 8+ months later for the same $139.99. Just keep this in mind if you decide to purchase one. The good News is that because nearly all the parts are used by either the SC version or the Buggy that only the Chassis may become an issue later on down the road if it is discontinued. I believe all the latest kits that were released also include the extra updated parts in the kit as well, the type b rear A-arm mounts, an extra chassis also type b, etc. Mine did, I only purchased it about a month and a half ago, but it came with three sets of Rear A-arm mounts-the original, a set of revised mounts that eliminate the hinge pin pivot ball and the newest type B versions. It also included two chassis's-the original and a type b version.

Last edited by WailinOnYa; 07-10-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by WailinOnYa
I believe all the latest kits that were released also include the extra updated parts in the kit as well, the type b rear A-arm mounts, an extra chassis also type b, etc. Mine did, I only purchased it about a month and a half ago, but it came with three sets of Rear A-arm mounts-the original, a set of revised mounts that eliminate the hinge pin pivot ball and the newest type B versions. It also included two chassis's-the original and a type b version.
Thank you for the quick and detailed response. Did you order yours from tower hobbies? It would be nice to get those extra parts!
Old 07-10-2014, 07:36 AM
Tech Regular

Yes, I did purchase mine from Tower Hobbies. You can also use their discount code, so you can actually get it a bit cheaper than the $139.99.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Yes, I did purchase mine from Tower Hobbies. You can also use their discount code, so you can actually get it a bit cheaper than the $139.99.
Thanks for the awesome advice and quick responses! I think I'm going to order one. How was the build? Do you use it strictly on the track or everywhere? Any extra advice on tools or extras needed for the build? Thanks!
Old 07-10-2014, 08:08 AM
Tech Regular

The only aftermarket items or essentials I would suggest are a rear camber link brace for the rear and I also purchased some aluminum skip plates for my kit. Both of these items I purchased from Sumo Racing, they sell on Ebay. I think the camber brace is like $11-$12 and the skids were $18, you get both front and rear skid plates for $18. The camber link brace keeps the camber mounting ears from snapping off the rear tranny case. I have a DEX210 and use one on it also, and so far have never broken an ear off. This is a well documented problem with the 2wd durangos. The original dest210 chasssis is pretty flexible, the type b one is noticeably stiffer, but I chose to build my kit with the original first, that way it I break it I can just move up to the stiffer type b chassis. This is the first ST truck I have ever owned, and I just decided to try one out for the hell of it and the super low price drew me in. I have not bashed with it, only driven it on an indoor moist packed track. Mine is set up Mid motor just like my 210 buggy! You'll only need your basic allen drivers, L wrenches are included like most kits, and snap ring pliers for the snap ring that holds the thrust bearing in the Diff half. I would suggest some spare arms and towers just to be on the safe side. Also It doesn't include tires, you'll need to pick up your choice on those!
Old 07-10-2014, 11:38 AM
Tech Rookie

The only aftermarket items or essentials I would suggest are a rear camber link brace for the rear and I also purchased some aluminum skip plates for my kit. Both of these items I purchased from Sumo Racing, they sell on Ebay. I think the camber brace is like $11-$12 and the skids were $18, you get both front and rear skid plates for $18. The camber link brace keeps the camber mounting ears from snapping off the rear tranny case. I have a DEX210 and use one on it also, and so far have never broken an ear off. This is a well documented problem with the 2wd durangos. The original dest210 chasssis is pretty flexible, the type b one is noticeably stiffer, but I chose to build my kit with the original first, that way it I break it I can just move up to the stiffer type b chassis. This is the first ST truck I have ever owned, and I just decided to try one out for the hell of it and the super low price drew me in. I have not bashed with it, only driven it on an indoor moist packed track. Mine is set up Mid motor just like my 210 buggy! You'll only need your basic allen drivers, L wrenches are included like most kits, and snap ring pliers for the snap ring that holds the thrust bearing in the Diff half. I would suggest some spare arms and towers just to be on the safe side. Also It doesn't include tires, you'll need to pick up your choice on those!
All your info has been a great help, thank you! I think I will have to order one. I just bought a Losi Mini 8ight-T so it might be a few weeks before I order it but the price makes it very tempting.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:23 PM
Tech Addict

I was hoping they were blowing them out waiting to release a DEST v.2 like the buggy. I guess I'll have to just shoe goo / drywall tape the body like a madman.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Devin
I was hoping they were blowing them out waiting to release a DEST v.2 like the buggy. I guess I'll have to just shoe goo / drywall tape the body like a madman.
That's what I've been doing too. I finally found a clear body for less than $30 on eBay. Still gotta paint that sucker up.

I should also point out that if you dont want to get a camber brace, you can get the Type B gearbox which has stronger mounts.

I think I have enough parts to run my DEST210 through the next winter when most people around here race ST. If Durango hasn't released a v2 by then, I'll probably jump ship.

I do find it odd though that Durango hasn't even announced a v2 of the DESC210 when SC racing is as big, if not bigger than buggy. Then again, they are a European company and it may be different over there.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kremzeek
That's what I've been doing too. I finally found a clear body for less than $30 on eBay. Still gotta paint that sucker up.

I should also point out that if you dont want to get a camber brace, you can get the Type B gearbox which has stronger mounts.

I think I have enough parts to run my DEST210 through the next winter when most people around here race ST. If Durango hasn't released a v2 by then, I'll probably jump ship.

I do find it odd though that Durango hasn't even announced a v2 of the DESC210 when SC racing is as big, if not bigger than buggy. Then again, they are a European company and it may be different over there.
Considering Durango is straight owned by Hobbico, I find it really odd that they haven't done anything with an SCT yet. They may, however, be waiting until Tower/GP is out of the ST's and SCT's, since they're blowing them out, and they don't seem to be selling very rapidly.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

has anyone had any luck mounting other bodys than stock
Old 07-15-2014, 09:42 AM
Tech Rookie

What motor and ESC is a good choice for this truck?
Old 07-16-2014, 06:28 PM
Tech Regular

A 10.5 motor is a pretty good all around motor! What are you planning to do with the truck, just bash or race? What is you spending limit?
Old 07-16-2014, 06:42 PM
Tech Adept

I agree 10.5 turn is pretty good. I run 8.5 or 10.5 depending on the track. 13.5 is a little soft. Any good 10th scale ESC will do, if you are going to put money into something and are on a budget, get a good motor. I use a tekin RS and love it, but my friends have had good luck with the hobby wings.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Hobby Wing Stock Spec and Reedy Mach 2 wind of your choice. Very smooth. Was what I ran before getting picked up by Trakpower for my electronics. My brother swears by Hobbywing, and Reedy Sonic Mach II's
Old 07-16-2014, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

It's actually a pretty good truck, especially for the price! There is one issue though and that is Durango has not yet verified whether or not they are going to continue producing this kit! As an example, the body has been discontinued and according to others there is no other body that is a direct replacement for fitment. Most of the parts are either interchangeable with the SCT version (A-arms, shock towers, CV bones, axles, etc.) and some of the parts are also interchangeable with the DEX210 buggy (Rear hubs, the entire tranny, hingpins, A-arm pivot blocks, etc.). The truck can be built for either rear motor or Mid motor out of the box. I personally believe that it is discontinued or will be due to the fact that SCT has pretty much killed ST trucks popularity and not as many people run them anymore. When Tower had the original DEX210 buggys marked down to $139.99, they sold all the stock they had of them in about two weeks! The DEST210 was also marked down about the same time for the same price and they still have them in stock 8+ months later for the same $139.99. Just keep this in mind if you decide to purchase one. The good News is that because nearly all the parts are used by either the SC version or the Buggy that only the Chassis may become an issue later on down the road if it is discontinued. I believe all the latest kits that were released also include the extra updated parts in the kit as well, the type b rear A-arm mounts, an extra chassis also type b, etc. Mine did, I only purchased it about a month and a half ago, but it came with three sets of Rear A-arm mounts-the original, a set of revised mounts that eliminate the hinge pin pivot ball and the newest type B versions. It also included two chassis's-the original and a type b version.
Type B parts will be produced for some time. No plans on a V2 truck. V2 SC is being tested and was run at Cactus Classic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.