Wiki Posts
Search

Durability concern 1/8 E-Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Durability concern 1/8 E-Buggy

I'm in the market for a new 1/8 E-buggy.

Lets see if i can get an answer to this question without igniting a flame war.

I have no plans of racing competitively with the buggy, what model would the general consensus as the leader in durability? I'm really hoping to not be replacing parts all the time.

Kit or RTR doesn't matter to me, im as comfortable building it as i am just taking it out of the box and charging some batteries. Probably ever only going to see 4s Lipo tops pushing a MMM with an 1800kv shorty or a 2650kv (if i add the power system myself).

I had a used associated RC8be but only drove it a little bit on road before snow this year so i didn't have a good feel for that one. I was looking at the RC8.2e but im also wondering about the HPI Vorza Flux. What else is there that can take a bit of a beating without throwing parts all the time?

My biggest reason for this is just parts availability. Both local LHS seem to have some issues with AE ad HPI/HB right now due to a distributor deal that im not fully aware of. So likely i will end up getting parts from the US. Just don't want to be placing orders every other week to bring something else in.

So what do you guys think?
Old 02-24-2012, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

I've broken one part on my Ve8 (tie rod end) after jumping down between tubes. Otherwise, I've taken some pretty good tumbles with it and not had an issue. However, I did upgrade to the aluminum chassis.

The thing about parts is not just how frequently, but how expensive. A guy at our track has the Kyosho MP9E. He broke a front shock tower. The replacement is $100. Mine are $30.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:09 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Monteman
I'm in the market for a new 1/8 E-buggy.

Lets see if i can get an answer to this question without igniting a flame war.

I have no plans of racing competitively with the buggy, what model would the general consensus as the leader in durability? I'm really hoping to not be replacing parts all the time.

Kit or RTR doesn't matter to me, im as comfortable building it as i am just taking it out of the box and charging some batteries. Probably ever only going to see 4s Lipo tops pushing a MMM with an 1800kv shorty or a 2650kv (if i add the power system myself).

I had a used associated RC8be but only drove it a little bit on road before snow this year so i didn't have a good feel for that one. I was looking at the RC8.2e but im also wondering about the HPI Vorza Flux. What else is there that can take a bit of a beating without throwing parts all the time?

My biggest reason for this is just parts availability. Both local LHS seem to have some issues with AE ad HPI/HB right now due to a distributor deal that im not fully aware of. So likely i will end up getting parts from the US. Just don't want to be placing orders every other week to bring something else in.

So what do you guys think?
If you are not going to race, and durability is top of your list, I would say the Vorza is a good choice. I hear a lot about its durability. The Losi 8ight is a tank and will also serve you well.

I had an RC8Be, that I raced, and I would not describe it as durable.

Last edited by blade329; 02-24-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blade329
If you are not going to race, and durability is top of your list, I would say the Vorza is a good choice. I hear a lot about its durability. The Losi 8ight is a tank and will serve you well.

I had an RC8Be, that I raced, and I would not describe it as durable.
I totally agree with the Vorza....plus IF you would decide to start racing most, if not all, of the Hotbodies D8 parts will fit the Vorza
Old 02-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Tech Champion

xray, mugen, losi, caster... Xray 808 was the toughest buggy I had, not one breakage.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Tech Master

Xray 808 was on my radar since i have my RCM converted XT8e truggy, but there is zero local parts support for Xray. Like NONE. I was happy when i get in touch with canwest via the lhs here but now he is closed/closing so that takes him off the table.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Tech Champion

Then I would say Mugen. It's a really strong car, eventually Losi. But there must be others, I'm just speaking about the ones I know
Old 02-24-2012, 10:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (86%+)

I have had a losi 8ight e 2.0 for almost 2 years now, with about 200-250 packs through it. I have broken 2 rod ends, but that is it. Amazing car.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:39 AM
Tech Master

not much for mugen support locally either. that is a big deal breaker for me. couple of the shops sell mugen kits, but their parts backup is very minimal.

Both shops up here are very traxxas in terms of what occupies their parts walls. Decent HPI support but it leans towards the savage line.

** im going to have to look into the 8ight e 2.0, i have never been a losi guy other than their shock fluids lol.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Then it sounds like it doesn't matter what car you buy, you'll be ordering parts online. Just pick one. I've seen all kinds of brands race at our track and they rarely come off broken. You'll not find a car of any scale or brand that does not need parts once in a while.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Tech Elite

So get an e savage and put buggy wheels and body on it. Then you have parts support and durability.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Tech Master

not to mention the weirdest looking truck/buggy on the planet lol.

Thanks for the input guys, got some thinking to do between now and the end of the month
Old 02-24-2012, 11:21 AM
Tech Elite

Well, I was trying to be funny, but make a point that if you are so anti mail order and that is your options, savages are very durable and they do take 17mm rims.

Otherwise, welcome to amain, stormer, casterusa, etc..... Unless you can get your lhs to step up and carry inventory.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hey, take Hyper 8.5 PRO, make conversion and you can forget about spare parts
8.5 Pro and ST Pro car line was the one of the most durable on the market,
also they still can be very competetive (of course not on DNC level)
Old 02-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hakmazter
Well, I was trying to be funny, but make a point that if you are so anti mail order and that is your options, savages are very durable and they do take 17mm rims.

Otherwise, welcome to amain, stormer, casterusa, etc..... Unless you can get your lhs to step up and carry inventory.

Oh I caught the funny on the E-savage buggy

Im not anti mail order, my paypal transaction history proves that haha.

I just try to support the LHS first ahead of ebay chop shops or other online retailers. I would have to say 95% of anything i have bough online the last couple years i have checked availability and pricing first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.