Old 04-24-2012, 07:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarlCrocco
1. Get a BEC.
2. Get a Savox SB-2271SG "High Speed" Brushless Steel Gear Digital Servo
3. Enjoy!

Seriously this is one bad azz servo.

.06 with 277oz of torque. Also it's brushless.
Not an option here.., servo is already bought and it would take more 30 days to have another one here in Brazil

My first try will be a direct replacement using the esc's bec. I'll loose the servo's full capacity but it must do the job pretty well.

Btw, hitec 7954SH is 403oz @ .12 and costs 77 usd at dirtcheap (the barn floor)

Last edited by rnelias; 04-24-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnkmcguire97
There is really no need for a receiver battery or an external BEC (battery eliminater circuit). All speed controls have a built in BEC capable of delivering 5 to 6 volts constant to the recreiver and steering servo. It does not matter what the input voltage is from the main pack. With a 2s, 3s, 4s, 5s and 6s battery, the speed control steps the voltage down to a constant voltage, 5 to 6 volts. Check the specs on the speed controls BEC if you want to know the voltage it will supply to the steering servo.

For e-buggy, high voltage servos are a waste. That is because the BEC is only supplying 6 volts. They will work, but you will not be maximizing their potential like you do with a 2s lipo receiver pack in nitro.

I agree with the recommendation to use a servo with at least 200 oz-in and a transit time under 0.15s at 6 volts.

Personally, I have a Hobbywing Xerun 150A speed control with a DS1015 steering servo in my Tekno converted D8 running on 4s.
After reading a little bit about the subject I've concluded that you're completely right about HV servos for EP cars. HV are more suitable for nitro cars with dedicated servo battery packs. However, for those that are willing to get Hitec servos, I should point out that Hitec has two servos for the same application: 7955 (Ti gears and standard voltage) and 7954 (Steel gears and HV). Both, when working at 6V, have exactly the same specs (0.15 sec / 333.29 oz-in @ 6V). Thus, If this spec is good for you, both servos will do the job when wired directly to your RX/esc.

Now, I'm just thinking if It's worth to trade my 7954hv with a ds1015 since I was looking for a faster servo (7954 will work at 0.12 secs only when set to HV).