Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
HELP! I think i fried my brand new Tekin RX8 Combo!! >

HELP! I think i fried my brand new Tekin RX8 Combo!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HELP! I think i fried my brand new Tekin RX8 Combo!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

good luck mate your going to need it

my bet is its cooked big time if you seen smoke its game over , honestly you would be way better off finding somone around you to help you do the electronics in your car

buy from the states by all means but why then take to a hobby shop and rub it in that you brought else where and now want them to install it

it could be done on purpose from the shop ? in anyway i would not be going back and i highly doubt they will look after you at all , i hope i am wrong but i highly doubt it as they would have a sign up somewhere saying they are not liable for there works and no warrentry etc

if you race then there would be heaps of people at the race track willing to help a young fellor out i am sure you just have to ask

hell i am 37 and dont even do my own soldering
Old 02-08-2012, 10:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DBL15
it could be done on purpose from the shop ?

I actually thought that myself but I doubt they would be malicious about it to that extent as surely they would know where you would be straight back on their doorstep unhappy about it.

Though as you also mentioned, it's a little rough rocking up with gear you purchased elsewhere and then asking them to get it going. I'm sure money was involved in getting the soldering done (I hope so otherwise they'll just palm it off with 'tough luck') so regardless of whether the ESC was purchased there or not, they are obligated to do it correctly.

Personally, I would have hit up the Australian forums and tried to find some one local who has experience with getting EP cars soldered up and asked them for help. I'm in Brisbane but I'd be happy to help some one in your position out if you were local. So it would be worth asking. I'm sure there would be others on the forum who would be happy to help out those with less experience.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Last edited by jonee589; 02-13-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slyts6
Oh wow that's my LHS! Damnit!

I'm surprised they made this mistake. Do you know who did the work? They have had some other staff in there (not there regulars) doing some repairs.

I have always found them to be great and the most knowledgable shop in the area.

Even though I have never had a problem with the hobby man and their staff, it still should be something you follow up.... And still something they rectify.
x2

I done my own soldering & for a first timer I was suprized that it worked but a few days later it stoped ??? So I took it to them & they said my soldering was good....... turned out the ESC was in brushed mode but I found them very helpfull & Im very suprized that they would/could make a mistake like this. Take it back & speak to the same person that done the work.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:36 PM
Tech Adept

Old 02-08-2012, 11:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You pay them to do a job, I know I purchased a rx8 2050kv combo from amain and then took it to my local hobbyshop and they were impressed to solder it for me and they can't refuse to because at the end of the day you pay them to do it so I HIGHLY DOUBT they would ever do it on purpose. Some people take stuff way out of control.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:07 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jonee589
Oh that makes two of us Yeah I am amazed that an adult can do such a crap job of soldering and us 14 year olds can do it? Yeah they don't sell tekin here and I really wanted tekin so thats where i am staying Yeah shove it up their butt! smart asses!

If its your local hobby shop stop going there right now!!!!! I just had to deal with the manager (Davin) on the phone and he is an asshole. (Im making him sound good) He is a smart ass and I laughed once when he said that the mechanic (Mattheo) had it running in the shop and it work fine. HOW CAN IT WORK FINE WITH THE MOTOR WIRED UP TO THE NEGATIVE BATTERY WIRE TERMINAL!? I seriously don't get it. They are complete retards don't ever deal with them because if something does go wrong it will be a hell of a battle to win because they stick up for each other and lie their socks off, he even said we didn't buy anything there! But we bought my brother a $650 traxxas slash ultimate for christmas from them and it had to be sent in for repairs 3 weeks ago! I cannot believe how he could be so immature and so mean to me even though I am only 14 he talked to me like I was an adult... I worked my ass off christmas day, new years day and the whole school holidays to earn the money to spend on my car (over $1000)because my dad pulled a shoulder muscle and could not work for more then 6 weeks so I had to milk for him (we live on a dairy farm) So I am absolutely pissed off with their behaviour. I bought the top of the range gear hoping none of this bullshit would happen but somehow it still happened. I will update you guys next week when I see how they deal with it when my mum takes the car in.
First thing you need to do; calm down. I know you worked hard for this and you're upset, but when you explain your situation you need to do it calmly. I've worked in sales for years and I can tell you that when you have a problem, the way you approach the salesperson / assistant pretty much determines how the rest of the process will go. If you are confrontational, you'll be dealing with a brick wall. Also, mouthing on a forum like this doesn't help, you don't know whether they read this.

You're Mum probably isn't going to be thrilled but you need to take the car back into the store exactly as you received it. Don't attempt to fix or alter anything. Show them what you did up to the point it started to smoke. Have them look over the wiring for themselves. Don't act like a smart ass about it and don't give them attitude.

Getting them to fix the wiring wouldn't be a problem; it would be an easy fix. If the RX8 is damaged however; I'm not entirely sure. You should definitely be compensated, how is the problem. It's not a product they sell so replacing it could be a problem, getting them to pay for you to order another one, that's probably going to be an uphill battle but it's what I would want.

Either way it's up to you how they rectify the situation. If you are unhappy with how they remedy the situation, you need to contact ACCC or Fair Trading Aus and find out what options you have.

Just remember though, take a chill pill before confronting them.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:19 AM
Tech Adept

Old 02-09-2012, 12:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Suteki
First thing you need to do; calm down. I know you worked hard for this and you're upset, but when you explain your situation you need to do it calmly. I've worked in sales for years and I can tell you that when you have a problem, the way you approach the salesperson / assistant pretty much determines how the rest of the process will go. If you are confrontational, you'll be dealing with a brick wall. Also, mouthing on a forum like this doesn't help, you don't know whether they read this.
Completely aggree. I was in retail (still am once a week) and when an agro customer goes at me I respond the exact same way.

As for the Hobbyman, my first impressions of the owner weren't great, actually the exact opinion as you.... But as I have only really dealt with most of the other guys and haven't had much to do with the owner I will stand by the service I personally receive from them.

I'm not saying what they did was right in any way, but I have had no issues what so ever with them.

Could it be at all possible that they simply made a mistake? We all do make them and maybe it just so happened to be your car on the end of it....

I would definately approach them in a nice way to hopefully try and get a solution.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:46 AM
Tech Adept

Old 02-09-2012, 02:14 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

please deleate this post, posted twice for some reason
Old 02-09-2012, 02:15 AM
Tech Adept

well 2 things here 1 hope you have a recipt to the effect they did it. and 2nd if you do and they still dick you around go to the police make them prove they didnt do anything wrong im sure if you get some actual heat on their ass besides just being a angry customer they will be more apt to fix the thing. im the mean time call tekin and ask to speak to jermey potter or jim, explain to them what happened and see what they can do. i live and race less than 200 miles from them and they show at my local tracks and are great guys and even better drivers. im sorry to hear your problem this should not have happened and once you get this sorted out you will love that system almost everyone i race with has them and they are some good systems and that thing will damm near take everything you throw at it. also last resort you could always do a protest march on the hobby shop providing its legal. i know i had a car for sale at a lhs and went in to pick it up becouse i had a trade lined up they lost the box and transmitter, which pissed me off becouse i had the car with stock body and was telling the guy the box has this car on it and he got a tude with me. so since the manager was there i mentioned how unpleased i was with the employees job performance and have not seen that mook in there since, but its just a shop where i pick up hard ware only lol only 2 guys who know anything about rc. but i hope it all works for you man. post this on more forums and let people see what that shop did. also i thinnk they screwed you on it 80 bucks to do 8 to 12 solder joints they ripped you off big time. just dont patron them anymore, stick with amain stormer and hobbypartz and hobby king you will be better off i think.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:28 AM
Tech Adept

Last edited by jonee589; 02-13-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:31 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by slyts6
Completely aggree. I was in retail (still am once a week) and when an agro customer goes at me I respond the exact same way.

As for the Hobbyman, my first impressions of the owner weren't great, actually the exact opinion as you.... But as I have only really dealt with most of the other guys and haven't had much to do with the owner I will stand by the service I personally receive from them.

I'm not saying what they did was right in any way, but I have had no issues what so ever with them.

Could it be at all possible that they simply made a mistake? We all do make them and maybe it just so happened to be your car on the end of it....

I would definately approach them in a nice way to hopefully try and get a solution.
if it was a mistake then the person making it had no bisness leaving their house. i mean all tekin stuff is clearly marked just sounds like they were mad becouse he dropped all that coin somewhere else and then shafted him for the soldering job i mean for the price he threw out he could have paid a real electrican to do the work. im still trying to figure out why a lhs would charge 80 bucks to make a few solder joints...... but in the end the kid has to look at what they did to him charged him 80 to break his bnib stuff. id camp in their parking lot showing everyone walking into that store what their work is like, you cant be in bisness to make money by messing ppls stuff up like that. thats just shady and that shop should just close up and go home.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:44 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jonee589
Thanks for your advice, yeah hobby shops seem to be a pain in the ass, they did rip me off for sure but right now I just want my car fixed and want to be able to drive it! I havn't driven an rc car for months and I am feeling sick! haha. I think the hobby shop will just be for hardware now. I would like to ring tekin if i do have issues with the shop in getting a new esc. thanks.
honestly i wouldnt even buy hardware from that shop anymore. but from what you said about where you live i guess there is not much choice, and the shipping time from most good net companies makes that hard as well. i hope the shop owns up to what they did if not im sure tekin would help you out. keep in mind as i post this its 335am for tekins shop. im in the same time zone as them. like i said though explore every ave you have avaliable, heck even find other people they have done this to and go to the media, papers and tv. once the word gets out they will feel the crunch of bad bisness and clean up their act or go under. i personally like hobby town usa but i wont buy anything i need to ask for advice on from them. havent got that pissed with them yet lol. i have 4 local shops, one the guy is a ass and closes whenever he feels like, and his track is full of dirty drivers who will hack you just to pass you for a spot on the track even if you are a lap down, hobbytown dosent know what they sell i asked the manager if a set of wheels was 12mm hex for sc trucks he had absolutily no clue the third takes over a month to get something in once shelf stock is gone, the 4th one just opened and has small inventory now, but the 4th is the one i like the best he gets anything i need pretty fast and usally matches amains prices. i know im pretty lucky to have so many shops local to me but when 3 out of 4 are useless you have to ask your self why they are open lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.