Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Gear Diffs in 2WD 1/10th Offroad cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I tried gear diff one time in my b4 and did not like it at all..did not seem to rotate as well as a ball diff....if you can build a good ball diff you will notice a BIG difference..yes there is more maintenance but if you are a serious racer..chances are..you will maintain your stuff no matter what
Old 02-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
Why don't YOU backup your statement about how or why a gear diff is as fast as ball diff?
I never said that exact statement. You're saying I was generalizing. I wasn't.

Originally Posted by Autocratic
I've turned some of my fastest laps at my local track with my SC10 gear diff.
Again, I just don't think that saying "ball is always faster than gear" is right. The only support you provided was saying all pro level drivers use ball diffs. Which, if every 2wd pro level driver uses ball diffs, makes that statement invalid because there is nobody to compare against.

Brandon, all you have to do provide scientific proof as to why a ball diff will always be faster than a gear diff. Giving generalized statements simply doesn't work.

Originally Posted by mattnin
I once weighed the SC10 ball diff and gear diff, and the gear diff was 1g lighter than the ball diff, even full of fluid. So, it would seem that you could even shave 1g of weight from the rotational mass from the SC10, but time and time again, the pro drivers were using the ball diff. One of our best drivers at the local track here says he shaved a half second off per lap switching from the gear diff to the ball diff.

Personally, I have found ball diffs easier to setup and maintain than a gear diff, and with some pro setups running very light gear diff oil, it would seem there is very little difference between a freely spinning and smooth ball diff vs a freely spinning and smooth gear diff, except that one usually leaks.

Also, it is pretty much a tuning fact that increasing rear diff oil weight in a 2WD causes push into corner entry and that alone is just completely unacceptable to pro drivers. A properly running ball diff doesn't do that because it spins so free.
I will agree that ball diffs are easier to setup (and less messy), if you know what you're doing. Both my current ball diff and the gear diff I took out on Saturday feel like butter and drove the same. I was running 10k oil. Tried 3k and 7k and was having too much "diffing". However, currently my fastest lap at my local track is still on the gear diff.

Too heavy oil, and yes you will push on corner entry because the inner rear tire can't react fast enough. Too light an oil and you diff out. This is were a ball diff has an advantage.

I will still hold my opinion in saying that a properly setup gear diff can be just as fast as a ball diff.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

nevermind me, just tagging to see where this goes.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:02 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Subscribed!
If we can get past the name calling and chest puffing...
I would like to hear the pros and cons of each! From what I have heard there is an issue of leaking in the gear diffs...

Personally I wouldn't mind doing a lil testing on my own!

The Losi Ten-SCTE has 3 gear diffs and they are great! The rest of my fleet has ball diffs and those are great as well!
Old 02-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by thecman26
Subscribed!
I would like to hear the pros and cons of each! From what I have heard there is an issue of leaking in the gear diffs...

The Losi Ten-SCTE has 3 gear diffs and they are great! The rest of my fleet has ball diffs and those are great as well!
I don't think there has been any name calling...yet

Just like you, I'm after real proven facts as to why people say a ball diff will always be faster than a gear diff in a 2wd 1/10 buggy application.

Last edited by Autocratic; 02-05-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Subscribed!

4wd have gear diffs yes...but 4wd is completely different that 2wd..no comparison
Old 02-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Here is some reading. http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ball-diff.html
Old 02-05-2012, 08:27 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by B.A. Racer
4wd have gear diffs yes...but 4wd is completely different that 2wd..no comparison
Well with power out of the equation now with the new brushless motors (that is except in stock class maybe)...

I think gear diffs might be an option part to look at! A local sponsored guy ran one a bit last year and looked really good with it! But I think he went back to the ball diff though for some reason.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

A local sponsored guy ran one a bit last year and looked really good with it! But I think he went back to the ball diff though for some reason.
I wonder why!
Old 02-05-2012, 08:32 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I wonder why!
IDK! Dude looked great with the gear diff... Well that dude could drive a cardboard box and still be in the A Main! But it looked really smooth!
Old 02-05-2012, 08:32 PM
Tech Addict

I believe if you use the right fluid or grease in the gear diff it can compete with the ball diff. Fire Away!
Old 02-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Tech Champion

Balls diffs react to motor load-torque, as they are a combination of rolling and sliding (friction) contact. Under low motor load they are relatively free, helping with turn in and carrying speed through the corner. Under acceleration the balls get bound up some in the gear, helping avoid the dreaded diffing out and spinning one wheel.

Gear diffs are largely based on rolling contact, they don’t vary much with motor load. They need to be loaded with fluid to prevent diffing out, but that same loading tends to reduce turn in, and puts additional load on the tires mid corner.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:37 PM
Tech Master

I wonder why!
Try to be reasonable and mature about this discussion please.

I read the previous link posted on gear vs. ball and all I saw was people saying "I think" and then giving their explanation.

Nobody in that thread, or this one, has been able to answer and provide evidence why a ball diff has provided other people with faster lap times.

If you don't have anything to add to the thread that will advance the discussion in the proper direction, then please hold your posts.

Originally Posted by Dave H
Balls diffs react to motor load-torque, as they are a combination of rolling and sliding (friction) contact. Under low motor load they are relatively free, helping with turn in and carrying speed through the corner. Under acceleration the balls get bound up some in the gear, helping avoid the dreaded diffing out and spinning one wheel.

Gear diffs are largely based on rolling contact, they don’t vary much with motor load. They need to be loaded with fluid to prevent diffing out, but that same loading tends to reduce turn in, and puts additional load on the tires mid corner.
Are you an engineer or someone with a mechanical/technical background or degree? Only asking because I like to know if people are getting information from sources or internal. Something rarely done on forums like this.

Since we are talking about gear diffs, is it possible to have a gear diff react and drive like a ball diff would given it's mechanical function?

Last edited by Autocratic; 02-05-2012 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Dave H. post
Old 02-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Tech Addict

I read the previous link posted on gear vs. ball and all I saw was people saying "I think" and then giving their explanation.

Nobody in that thread, or this one, has been able to answer and provide evidence why a ball diff has provided other people with faster lap times.

If you don't have anything to add to the thread that will advance the discussion in the proper direction, then please hold your posts.
All I have ever heard about the ball diff being better than the gear is the diffing out.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

hold my posts? I will post whether you want to hear what I am saying or not. mmk? The ball diff yields faster lap times..... ALL the time. Why? im not 100% sure. Certainly has something to do with better rotation , and less diff-out when a drive wheel lifts. Why don't you go run one back to back and see?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.