Community
Wiki Posts
Search

XXX-T forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 08:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Default inserts for tires

What will firmer or softer inserts do for the handling characteristics of tires, rear and front, but in particular rear. I am getting ready for a race that will be run on a dry "blue groove" track and this is unfamiliar territory for me???
Old 08-06-2002, 10:59 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

running a softer insert is like running less air pressure in a car tire. It will increase traction to a certain point. Likewise, if you put in a stiffer insert it will decrease traction to a certain point.
Old 08-06-2002, 11:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

its also comparative to a stiffer spring by stiffening the sidewall of the tire. a firmer insert will hold the tire more stabel thus giving you more rolling speed in the corners but if there isint enough traction, the tire will slide. if it's a blue groove track i'd try trinity bomb one gray firm inserts. i run them front/rear almost always unless traction is a nadda. i hope this helps
Old 08-06-2002, 02:27 PM
Tech Rookie

In the 'old days' I used to cut a 'bevel' on the outside edge of the foams. Is this still the recommended practice or should I install them 'as is'???
Old 08-06-2002, 09:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

i leave them, i do however cut a bevel on the inside where u glue the tires so u dont glue the foam too.
Old 08-06-2002, 11:49 PM
Tech Rookie

shrek -

hmmm...... that's interesting. OK, I give up. Why would it be bad for the foams to get glued also? Another Q about foams - I've noticed that when I take apart 'Factory mounted' tires from Losi, the inserts seem quite small. Is this because I did something wrong (like submerge them in water) or are they actually using smaller inserts???

Thanks for all the 411!
Old 08-07-2002, 08:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

i coulndt tell ya about the factory glued tires because i mount my own.
You cut the inner edge so that when u wear out the tire, u can boil them off and re-use the rim, but the foam is harder to get off once glued.
Old 08-09-2002, 08:20 PM
Tech Regular

Softer or Firmer foam doesn't necessarily equate to more or less traction. There is no golden rule.

Softer foam can take traction away on high bite surfaces. It allows the rubber of the tire to squirm too much and will cause it to not contact the track fully. Some tires need firmer foam to hold their shape properly.

I usually don't put anything less than a standard Losi firm in a tire anymore. Everything else allows too much sidewall flex and lets the tire roll over in the corners. This makes the car/truck very unsettled in the corners, especially high speed corners.

Rounding the edges:

It is mainly done to help shape the tire a little better and also seems to make the foam last longer. You don't have the corners of the foam bunched up in the side wall and tearing itself up. It really doesn't do much for keeping the foam away from the glue. No matter how much you round the edges, the foam is still packed in there so tight that it touches everything inside the rim and tire.

Foam size:

The foam is smaller after being mounted in any tire because it gets compressed over time. Foam breaks down in the tires and conforms to the shape of the tire. A square edged foam after just a few days of being mounted in a tire will come out the shape and size of the tire.
Old 08-10-2002, 10:00 AM
Tech Regular

anybody know what the losi 1.2" shock shafts fit. I just got a couple from a friend who got them from a friend. I was wondering if they fit the xxxt or not.
Old 08-10-2002, 11:18 AM
Tech Regular

1.2 shocks are used on the rear of a XX, XXT, XX4, XXXT
Old 08-10-2002, 01:30 PM
Tech Regular

would anyone like to buy a set (4) 1.2" titanium Nitrided shock shafts. I am selling them for $15 shipped. Just e-mail me at [email protected]
Old 08-10-2002, 01:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Skip -

Cool, thanks for all the detail. BTW, I used the Blue firm Trinity Bomb1 inserts inside Holeshot rears tires last night on a lightly watered high traction track and I think they were just the ticket. I like the shape of the tire with the outer edges trimmed.
Old 08-23-2002, 07:25 PM
Tech Rookie

I have a XXX-T forsale,

Very well maintainted, hop ups include-

Graphite Front A-arms
Graphite Front bulkhead
Graphite Kickup plate
Graphite battery brace
Trinity Lightweight blue anodized motor plate
A couple or blue titanium screws

Truck does NOT come with body or wheels.

e-mail me with questions at [email protected]

Last edited by Ben Ellis; 08-23-2002 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-23-2002, 10:22 PM
Tech Regular

does anyone know what is needed to convert an xxx too xxxt??it seems that i only need to change only front rear shock towers...will the front xxx upright fit the wider rims of xxxt without any change??
Old 08-24-2002, 07:50 AM
Tech Rookie

FreshJive- You can do that but the XXX chassis is a little smaler than the XXX-T, hence if you race it, theoreticaly it would be illegel, because of the weight difference.

But if you wanted to do it you would need to switch front and rear A-arms, and front and rear shock towers.

Also by doing this your body is going to be bigger than it would be on the XXX-T, so in other words either your body is going to stick out in the rear or in the front, which ever way you choice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.