Community
Wiki Posts
Search

From Tekin to Orion...

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 09:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by rcgod
Lol. You're the fanboy that bought a $100 esc for $200. I can totally understand why u are upset!
WOW what a Dick statement ,I think you should reread flame56mx's post,lol I see no fan boy here, all I see is a well thought out opinion that makes perfect sense.

there all good it all comes down to personal preference.
And yes they are different just look at them lol quality is super noticable, from the hobbywing to the name brand stuff, also true that the specs are different just look at em.

Also rcgod I ask this, you come on to a orion/tekin thread, yet you rep viper in your sig, WOW

Flame56mx well put man!! I agree 100% but I guess haters will be haters.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I am a bit of a hobbywing fan,but hate it when people make dick statements
i see tekin,lrp and a few others run all the time with nothing between them.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ever hold up a hw 1/8th scale speedo next to the orion 1/8 th scale speedo? I have and the biggest difference was the HW worked and the orion didnt.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:02 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

Lol. You're the fanboy that bought a $100 esc for $200. I can totally understand why u are upset!
sir, you have no clue as to what you are talking about.......very unprofessional of you as well.....your sponsored by Viper I see?

on a closing note......Team Orion is a great product.....Team Tekin is a great product.....can we just leave it at that and run what you prefer based on technical conclusions, not the latest flavor of the month?
Old 01-26-2012, 09:29 AM
lip
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The nice thing about Tekin is that it's designed and assembled in the US by the company, Tekin...
Old 01-26-2012, 09:56 AM
lip
Tech Regular

Next time u want to try the orion esc get a hobbywing or speedassions and.put the extra $100 in your pocket. Same esc.
Not totally true...I originally thought it was the V2.1 in a fancier case but have since learned that it's more like a V2.5...it's designed by the same guy at Hobbywing and made by them but it's actually for Orion only...that's why the portable controller is the same and firmware is similar...
Hobbywing will have their V3 come out...probably a lot cheaper...so for the likes of me who just does this as an actual hobby...the hobbywing is a better option for me (CRC are now distributing I think so support should be good)...

To each his/her own...I can't understand people paying that type of money for an esc, programmer and re-badged motors(most manufacturers use the same motors, with some modifications) but hey...people still by Maxamps batteries so what do I know...
Old 01-26-2012, 09:57 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by lip
The nice thing about Tekin is that it's designed and assembled in the US by the company, Tekin...
And they are Super easy to reach for help tuning or issues
Old 01-26-2012, 10:02 AM
lip
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JayL
And they are Super easy to reach for help tuning or issues
I think this is key...if Orion provide great service/support that is also in their favour...the product is only part of the equation.
I hear only great things about hobbywing but if you have to rely on Hobbypartz for support, good luck to you...now that they are going with CRC as their distributor I can only expect the support to improve.

I'm also a big fan of Castle...not sure their products are the best but their service is just killer...
Old 01-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default +1

Originally Posted by littlejohn
+1...
That my friend is where the battle is won. You can have the best product in the world, but without support, it may as well be teats on a bull :P
+1

pretty much sums it up. Tekin will help you with their product if and when you need it!
Old 01-26-2012, 12:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Default hahahahah

Next time u want to try the orion esc get a hobbywing or speedassions and.put the extra $100 in your pocket. Same esc.
Utter bollocks. This has been a rumour around for some time now and you can use the same logic as FoxxConn in Japan. They make apple products, as well as budget products so does that make them all the same? No

In fact - this issue was discussed by Tekin Management in response to an oOpler's query just today! Adriano Inserra, Product manager for tekin said

"Hi,

Our products are not just rebadged products from another company, we make our own testing and development for all our products.

As in all industries today, we have to rely on well established manufacturers that may or may not sell their own brand of products while at the same time manufacturing for OEM customers.
It’s like companies like FOXCONN that manufacture all the Apple products and many products for many other electronic companies. Apple does not have its own factories, it comes up with designs and specs and then it finds a manufacturer to produce for them.

Saying that a Team Orion product is only a rebadged HW product is like saying that a Ferrari is just a rebadged Fiat since Ferrari might use the same suppliers as Fiat for some of their parts.

As you say yourself the esc/motor combo you bought is the best you ever used, but it did not happen by chance and by buying stuff on Ebay etc. you will probably never get this. The ESC software is fine tuned for the motors and vice-versa, we constantly get reports from our team drivers and we use this info to improve/update our products.

At the end in racing, it’s the little details that make all the difference.

Adriano Inserra
Product manager"

Enough said. I think you need to know your subject matter befor you call a high end product the same as a budget model
Old 01-26-2012, 08:30 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

I guess it's true what they say "Ignorance is bliss"
Old 01-26-2012, 10:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

What do you guys think about an Orion R10 on a SCTE with a Tekin Pro4 4600 motor? My "bulletproof" RX8 went out on Sunday and I'm looking for a replacement for a points series.

Eventually, I'll move the Orion to my buggy to replace my Tekin RS.... not sure if the Orion will push my 4600 without breaking.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

Originally Posted by XXX8ight
I have a confession to make... my orion got hot as sh!t at lunch today. I ran it for about 20 mins. I got in a wreck (landed upside down on a hill) and it started acting up. The esc was at 206 degrees! I let it cool down and everything is perfect. 15 mins and the esc was at 130 degrees.

DOes anyone have any idea what the heck happened?
FOr the record i found out the issue. I had a peice of solder that wedged in between motor tabs. I pulled off the endbell and sure enough... there was another small peice of solder barely making contact between motor tabs as well. OOPS!
Old 01-27-2012, 07:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

Ok i am buying a hobby wing to try it out today... which one do i want for the 22t?
Old 01-27-2012, 08:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kuya_Kimo
What do you guys think about an Orion R10 on a SCTE with a Tekin Pro4 4600 motor? My "bulletproof" RX8 went out on Sunday and I'm looking for a replacement for a points series.
It works very well with the Tekin 4pole motors in the SCTE. Several guys in my area are running that setup, one since the first R10's and those motors came out, w/o any issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.