Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1:8 RTR Buggy for a Beginner

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 07:56 AM
Tech Regular

Default 1:8 RTR Buggy for a Beginner

What's the most cost effective 1:8 RTR Buggy for offroad racing? I've looked at Redcat and some of the cheaper ones on eBay.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

The key word is RACING...You need good availability for parts...you need good handling(as you get better, you will want a competitive chassis)...you need good electronics(transmitter,speed control,motor,servo and batteries) you most likely will be happier to spend more on the car since it is generally hard to sell an off brand car after you find that it just is not up to snuff. This is not a cheap hobby to get into and racing makes it more expensive. If you buy good components you will save money in the long run.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

Where are you located?

Here is a great option, but would probably recommend stepping up to a pro if you really want to race. There is a Losi RTR also, but it is $$$$$$.

http://casterracingusa.com/product.p...&cat=60&page=1
Old 01-02-2012, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Cost effective does not equal cheap purchase price, its overall cost of ownership. Spend more now or end up spending more later. Don't buy redcat.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

+1 for the Caster buggy. Couple run at our track and they handle well and hold up great. For the price, they are hard to beat.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

If the RTR comes with the same material for the chassis that the caster EX1.5R Pro does, then that's a good option. The previous EX1 RTR chassis was softer (or at least it acted that way) than the pro and would be more prone to get bent.

Right now, the Team Associated RC8BE's are being blow out right now since the new version came out. Its a good vehicle especially for the prices I am seeing.

If you are ok with used, for a single pack setup if you can find some Hot bodies D8s or Vorzas with the Tekno V4 conversions on them, they work great and go cheap. I have been quite happy with mine.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer726
What's the most cost effective 1:8 RTR Buggy for offroad racing? I've looked at Redcat and some of the cheaper ones on eBay.
The Mugen Eco is a good starting point while not cheap I haven't broken a single part in driving it for 8 months now. It is also very stable and fast.

The other thing you have to decide is do you want to run electric or nitro...

But definitely don't buy an off brand you will never be able to get rid of it when you are ready to upgrade
Old 01-03-2012, 03:01 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

FYI: 1/8th scale is not really a cheap option for racing and is also not very "beginner" oriented. The have lots and lots of power and are hard to drive for a beginner. Have you considered a short Course truck instead? Much more beginner friendly!
Old 01-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yo yo yo redcat racing
Old 01-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jurquhart
The Mugen Eco is a good starting point while not cheap I haven't broken a single part in driving it for 8 months now. It is also very stable and fast.

The other thing you have to decide is do you want to run electric or nitro...

But definitely don't buy an off brand you will never be able to get rid of it when you are ready to upgrade
Caster products resell just fine, Agama resell fine, JQ resell fine... Now Redcat or CEN or something completely generic, yes, you will have a hard time selling it.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

New to the sport and still kinda new. I bought my HPI Vorza and love it. there are better rides out there I'm sure but this is great for bashing and racing. With racing you need the right tire. Once I got the right tire I was alot happier. Just can't complain much about it.