Wiki Posts
Search

ten-scte noise issue / excesive spur gear wear

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 10:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (94%+)
Default ten-scte noise issue / excesive spur gear wear

I just bought a roller ten-scte brand new. I installed a pro4 4600 and its got lots of pinion noise just rolling it by hand or under light throttle, is this normal? it sounds like a grinder!

Also within about 30 seconds of just running the motor at low rpm with no load the spur gear looks like the edges are melted and its brand new.

The pinion I have is a RRP 5mm 12tooth .8module.

Whats going on with it?

thanks
Old 12-31-2011, 10:12 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Theres a huge thread on this already, but if your getting a lotta noise and your using the stock plastic spur then your pinion/spur mesh is too tight. They normally aren't that loud...

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...read-1786.html
Old 12-31-2011, 10:20 PM
Tech Adept

I saw the huge scte thead but its impossible o find anything in there its so big.

I'm at a loss. Its like a grind when i push by hand or light throttle, then with gradually more throttle the noise disapates some. However I have no idea why my spur gear is looking melted its brand new. The pinion gear mesh is not overy tight either it was good. I took it to my hobby shop and he said looked good before I ran it but the noise just seams too loud to me. Are they noisy?
Old 12-31-2011, 11:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Losi specs a 1.0 Module gear for the SCTE... your pinion is a finer pitch than your spur so the profile of the pinion is different, creating wear on the spur.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:25 PM
Tech Adept

are you sure your running the right gear pitch? I believe the scte is mod 1. Maybe try a different pinion, and in that case a new spur as the old one (if it is a s melted as you say) will be noisy anyway.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:32 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve.
Losi specs a 1.0 Module gear for the SCTE... your pinion is a finer pitch than your spur so the profile of the pinion is different, creating wear on the spur.
+1 I just cought that, yeah they are mod 1
Old 01-01-2012, 06:13 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks guys, the hobby shop sold me .8 mod pinions. Worst part is when it made the noise just rolling it over by hand I actually took the truck there to havethem look at it and the guy said it looked perfect. Then I run it 30 seconds in my hand and melted the spur gear on my brand new truck. I thought the hobby shop was experts. Sucks considering I just bought a ten-scte, losi tlr22, assoc b44.1 and a assoc sc10 ft and all the running gear from them.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Go back and tell them they need to exchange your pinions and order you a new gear... it's the least they can do after selling you the wrong parts , the information is right on Losi's website under items needed to complete. It's simple, if they don't take care of you just never buy anything again from them.

The hobby dealer closest to me sold me the wrong part a while back. I asked them "are you positive this will fit?" they said "yes" and sold me the wrong part. It was a cheap part, some RPM shock spring cups... only $5 but they did not work. I asked them for a refund and they said no... OK no problem. That was stupid for them because shortly after I bought a pair of 4wd on road cars, a SC10, three Castle combos and a 4PKS ... from another dealer twice as far from me. I will NEVER buy anything from them again... for a lousy five bucks. I have driven over an hour to the next closest Associated dealer just for a $2 idler gear just so that clown wouldn't see a dime of my money. When friends ask about his shop I say he's a scumbag go to this guy instead.... I know it's going a little to far but I hate getting screwed...
Old 01-01-2012, 06:43 AM
Tech Adept

I'd hope they'd do something. I've spend close to 3000 in the past 2 weeks there upgrading all my old equiptment.

Yesterday I went there and bought a TLR kit and front and rear racing spring sets and a savox servo and so on. I assumed hed give me the right pinions as I bought 5 of them at 12.50 a piece. Worst part is I actually drove back there becasue i didnt think it was right and he assured me it was good to go.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I would buy the parts you need to fix your truck, and return the broken spur and pinion that you don't need. Tell them like this, "I know you want to make me a happy customer. What about some money back or a store credit and lets call it square?" Chances are they will give you some type of rebate, but if they don't, leave the pinion and spur on their counter for them to look at and deal with and walk out the door. I've done this before, and when I came back to the store, they gave me a store credit then.

-Matt
Old 01-01-2012, 06:58 AM
Tech Adept

is that center spur gear difficult to replace?
Old 01-01-2012, 06:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

It is easy to replace and doesn't take very long to do either.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:20 AM
Tech Adept

As long as it needs to be replaced, should I just replace it with the stock on? or is there something else I should do?
Old 01-01-2012, 07:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

If you are inclined, you can completely open up the diff, clean out the grease and throw in some 5k oil, it will make it turn more on power. Its about a 30-45 minute job the first time. Changing out your spur the first time is only about a 10 minute job, super easy. If you are used to it, you could change out a spur in 5 minutes flat.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:58 AM
Tech Adept

That was easy, I took my truck to the hobby shop. They exchagned my pinions for the correct ones and he replaced the spur gear for free while i waited. Great customer service. I couldnt believe they even replaced it for me while i waited..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.