Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thinking about an SC10 Factory Team

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 05:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Thinking about an SC10 Factory Team

Some of you guys might recognize me from my Nitro RC8.2 post and questions, but prior to getting that I'm thinking about getting an SC10 Factory Team kit so that I can get comfortable building stuff, and play around with electrics before Nitro season kicks in. That said, can anyone post a link to what is needed to complete it? The RC10 site says:

- R/C 2-channel surface frequency radio system

This is just a radio, right? I already have a controller/radio for my SC8 nitro, so that'll work, yeah?

- Battery pack (6 cell)

What's a decent battery? And what do I look for in batteries?

- Battery charger (peak detection charger recommended)

I have a Prophet Sport II to charge my starter gun for my Nitro, so I'm good here, yeah?

- Electronic speed control

What is this, and what do I look for in these?

- R/C electric motor

What motors fit? I'd prefer to go brushless, I hear.

- Pinion gear

I'm wanting to build this kit so that I can figure these things out a little bit before I dive into my Nitro build early next year, but what the hell is a pinion gear? And what do I look for in this, too?

I'm sorry for the dumb questions, but I'm just trying to get my numbers figured out to see if I have the funds to get an SC10 kit before I go get my RC8.2 Nitro competition buggy. I've never built a kit before and just want to get some experience with it..
Old 12-18-2011, 05:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Your radio should work just fine, you will want another receiver unless you are just going to use the one from your SC8.

You will want a decent lipo battery and charger. I like the ProMatch batteries as they are priced well and they have been solid performers for me. I have a Hyperion charger and a Venom pro charger that are easy to use and work well.

You will want a brushless motor and ESC. LRP and Tekin are very popular for esc's. I run a Speed Passion in mine. There are lots of choices for motors. Tekin, Orion, Viper, LRP, Murfdog, and many more. I love my Epic Duo 3 motors.

Get a good steering servo like an ACE (or XP) 1015. Savox servos are good as well, but may need a power cap plugged in to the receiver to avoid power drain. You will want something quick, at least .10 transit and something with good torque such as 150ish oz.

The pinion gear is the little gear that goes on the motor shaft. Similar to your clutch bell on the nitro. You use different pinions and spur gears to change gearing ratios for performance.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

the sc10 is a great truck, you will like it
Old 12-18-2011, 09:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Go to the Official SC10 Thread, you will get a ton more info. You can scroll through the thread and learn alot. Thanks