Community
Wiki Posts
Search

thoughts on aluminum parts

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Tech Adept

Default thoughts on aluminum parts

aluminum parts. of course they look better but are they stronger?
Old 12-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ridinloudprod
aluminum parts. of course they look better but are they stronger?
They are stronger but not always better. Depending on the part it could cause more harm than good. Eliminating flex where it is needed can cause stress to another area, or reduce handling traits. My theory is as little aluminum as possible.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Tech Adept

Ah alright. What about like the A arms, front steering components and the front axle carriers. I just want to make mine a bit more durable I got the novak gtb 5.5 system in my rustler. Just installed it was running it up and down the road went off the road some and now its broke and got to wait for new parts to come ) :
Old 12-10-2011, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

hubs and castor blocks seem to be fine in aluminum. Often aluminum will bend vs. break. Also moves the stress/breaking point to a different part. IMO it's better as a bling item. Yes aluminum arms will be stronger but can still bend and cost 2-3 times what a stock part does. Traxxas parts are pretty tough so if you're breaking those I would guess you'll bend aluminum parts...it's up to you
Old 12-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Tech Adept

Well My rustler is OLD it came with the stinger 20T motor. I did not even hit anything though. Maybe a little hole or something like that. I totaly understand if i lose control and hit a pole or something but I should be able to hit holes and small bumps. im going to keep with plastic arms and chassie and shock towers for sure and maybe do aluminum for the smaller parts.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

If your looking to ultimate durability ge rpm arms and casters and hubs.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Tech Adept

Yeah I have had good luck with RPM so far. Thanks for the info. Any more opinions are welcome
Old 12-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

aluminum arms will cause drastic damage to other parts. the other parts listed sound like they would help in this situation but if you get aluminum arms and you have a serious wreck, instead of replacing arms, you'll be replacing bulkheads or even chassis'. i'm not 100% sure on how the rustler is put together but i couldn't see it going well.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:42 PM
Tech Adept

Yeah. I already broke 1 of my arms before. which it broke right at a weak spot of it. I was running and my right tire hit a railroad tie.

Yeah I think I will keep large parts plastic replace small parts with aluminum as they freak if they break. They need to make a thin aluminum body. something that will dent and bend but not break. My rustler body is about to break in half. theres not much left to it.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have a set of aluminum arms for my Jammin scrt10....havent put them on yet cause like everybody said I will probably just break something else that cost more than $10 to replace.

I have noticed of lately that I have changed my driving style of not crashing and driving like I have to pay for it(and I do have to pay for it). I havent broken anything on my trucks in a while now.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:18 PM
Tech Adept

I have noticed of lately that I have changed my driving style of not crashing and driving like I have to pay for it(and I do have to pay for it). I havent broken anything on my trucks in a while now.[/QUOTE]

yeah. I dont want to break stuff but willing to accept the fact that im going 2. not going to be scared to break stuff. thats why I have it. to rip it 60+ and do crazy stuff with it. if it breaks it breaks would like to make it as durable as I can but If i wanted to go fast and play it safe ill drive my blazer LOL RC car is cheaper to fix and dont put myself at risk enless if i run into myself which sadly I have done
Old 12-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I then recomend looking into RPM...My daughters slash is all RPM and it gets abused and I have never broken a single piece. I have pulled the hub out of the a-arm twice once on each side....but nothing broke. the pin was still in the a-arm. Put it back together and it was fine

Go RPM
Old 12-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

He never mentioned what he is even driving?

Realistically, if a car is designed correctly, there is no need for aftermarket parts.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

I'll second the RPM parts. Traxxas makes durable kits, but I generally RPM everything. And it will take a real whippin and never stop.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by hakmazter
He never mentioned what he is even driving?

Realistically, if a car is designed correctly, there is no need for aftermarket parts.
POST NUMBER 3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.