Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
New member with some questions on older equipment. >

New member with some questions on older equipment.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New member with some questions on older equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Default New member with some questions on older equipment.

Hello,

I am a newbie so please bare with me. I have some old school equipment that I would like to re-use for my sons 4x4 project.

This is what I have right now

Victor 883 electronic speed controller
Futaba 6XAS converted to ground FM operation
Cheap standard size futaba servos (I have about 8)
2 x 7.2v NimH battery packs
1 x 6v NimH battery pack for reciever
All chargers and accessories

I do not have a motor. I have been doing some research online and it looks to me that everything is brushless, which means I don't think I can use my ESC. I really would like to continue using this ESC and all my current stuff because I don't have a huge budget for this build.

I want to spend no more than 150-200 on a chassis and motor and re-use all of my equipment. Does anyone have an suggestions to point me in the right direction? I cannot find BRUSHED motors anywhere, I suppose that is what I need?

Thanks,

- D
Old 12-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

For new brushed motors, Ebay will be your best bet or place a "wanted ad" in that section here.

Did you already buy or have a kit in mind for this stuff? I ask because you could find something like a used SC10 RTR with a modern 2.4 wheel radio (yours is sticks right?) and brushless setup in that price range these days and it would be nearly turn-key. Your Nimh batteries would likely even work.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by MarkA
For new brushed motors, Ebay will be your best bet or place a "wanted ad" in that section here.

Did you already buy or have a kit in mind for this stuff? I ask because you could find something like a used SC10 RTR with a modern 2.4 wheel radio (yours is sticks right?) and brushless setup in that price range these days and it would be nearly turn-key. Your Nimh batteries would likely even work.
I honestly didnt have any solid plan in mind because I lack the knowledge of whats out there.

My reasoning was to buy a really nice chassis, spend the extra dime on the suspension and wheels and re-use my electronics.

How do I know the brushed ebay motors will work with the mounting bolt pattern? Are they face mounted motors too with standard size bolt spacing?

I have two sticks on the radio, I will be re-using it and the batteries. I dont want to spend money on any new electronics, mostly the motor and chassis.

Do you know of any good chassis-only setups?

Thanks for the help
Old 12-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

you could find something like a used SC10 RTR with a modern 2.4 wheel radio (yours is sticks right?) and brushless setup in that price range these days and it would be nearly turn-key.
This is great advice, I scored a nearly brand new SC10 off the classifieds on here for $200. That is truck, 2.4 radio set, and esc with brushless motor. The Reedy esc can be set to run NIMH or Lipo cells. When I received it, it looked like it had been run for maybe 5 minutes. Been having a blast with it, so much so that the other night I scored my son it's twin out of the classifieds on here for $125, no tx/rx this time. Great deals to be had here.....
Old 12-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

People give away brushed motors all the time, or sell them for as little as $5... check ebay and the forsale threads here on RCtech.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DBFIU
I honestly didnt have any solid plan in mind because I lack the knowledge of whats out there.

My reasoning was to buy a really nice chassis, spend the extra dime on the suspension and wheels and re-use my electronics.

How do I know the brushed ebay motors will work with the mounting bolt pattern? Are they face mounted motors too with standard size bolt spacing?

I have two sticks on the radio, I will be re-using it and the batteries. I dont want to spend money on any new electronics, mostly the motor and chassis.

Do you know of any good chassis-only setups?

Thanks for the help
Nearly all 1/10th scale cars use 540 motors; 540 motors have standard mounting patterns.

Try placing a wanted ad here as well, brushed motors have sold on here for little more than the cost of postage recently.

A "nice chassis" will be so limited by your ESC, batteries, motor and radio (stick radios are nearly unheard of these days for cars) that even if you insist on going that route, you'll only get a limited amount of performance out of the car anyway. That being said, you'll first need to decide what type of vehicle you want, i.e. buggy, short course truck and so on to get more specific ideas what to look for.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
People give away brushed motors all the time, or sell them for as little as $5... check ebay and the forsale threads here on RCtech.
Dont those require a special ESC though? I cant use it with my Victor 883.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Tech Champion

Dont those require a special ESC though? I cant use it with my Victor 883.
If your ESC is brushed, it will run nearly any brushed motor.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Tech Initiate

If your ESC is brushed, it will run nearly any brushed motor.
Oh my bad I misread what cpt.america said. I thought he said brushless. Yes I want to keep them brushed so yes the Victor would work.

Check this motor out.

www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBSPT&P=0

15 bucks.

Will this fit any standard chassis? What size chassis can I get for 150 bucks? I was looking for a really slick suspension setup, either baja style or mudding.

Thanks
Old 12-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Tech Champion

Check this motor out.

www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBSPT&P=0
That is a rock crawling motor so while it would fit any car, it is designed for maximum control at a walking pace, i.e., it's slow, slow and slower.

To get a better idea of all the types of cars out there, take a browse here.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Tech Initiate

That is a rock crawling motor so while it would fit any car, it is designed for maximum control at a walking pace, i.e., it's slow, slow and slower.

To get a better idea of all the types of cars out there, take a browse

Oh thanks for the link.

Yes I see the correlation now. More turns reduces top speed but probably increases torque and acceleration good for crawlers. I want something in the middle, maybe a little on the slow side. How does 27T sound? It's going to be a 4x4 which will be running over light grass and gravel, so I don't want it to be undertorque and get stuck. I also dont want it to go too fast because my son is young and might not have good control over the truck.

Something like a baja 4x4 with more monster truck than race car blood in it. You know what I mean?
Old 12-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Tech Regular

For what you are after, look at this

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=SM&I=LXAAMW**
Old 12-07-2011, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Oh thanks for the link.

Yes I see the correlation now. More turns reduces top speed but probably increases torque and acceleration good for crawlers. I want something in the middle, maybe a little on the slow side. How does 27T sound? It's going to be a 4x4 which will be running over light grass and gravel, so I don't want it to be undertorque and get stuck. I also dont want it to go too fast because my son is young and might not have good control over the truck.

Something like a baja 4x4 with more monster truck than race car blood in it. You know what I mean?
you can get an HPI fireball 15T motor VERY cheaply. Like $10 cheap. Good little motors, quick enough, reliable. It's a stock motor they put in some off the shelf brushed vehicles. Lot's of folks pull them to go brushless so they are cheap and plentiful. Same with the traxxas 12T titan motors, but I don't recommend those at all. Hit or miss as far as reliability.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories
Old 12-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by lowroad
you can get an HPI fireball 15T motor VERY cheaply. Like $10 cheap. Good little motors, quick enough, reliable. It's a stock motor they put in some off the shelf brushed vehicles. Lot's of folks pull them to go brushless so they are cheap and plentiful. Same with the traxxas 12T titan motors, but I don't recommend those at all. Hit or miss as far as reliability.
That one is only 15T though, wont it rev too high for my application? Or should I just get the 15T and gear it down.

I like the Evader EXT2 but the link shows a RTR kit that is only 2WD. I was looking for chassis only 4x4 so I can re-use my electronics.

Thanks
Old 12-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Tech Champion

That one is only 15T though, wont it rev too high for my application? Or should I just get the 15T and gear it down.
You'll need/want the power of the 15t no matter what you wind up with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.