Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR Rule Book or Just Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 02:29 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Racecrafter

Do you know what was said? Or are you guessing?
I know exactly what was written by the driver in question and I think the President of ROAR was more out of line with what he wrote.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Was Kim Jong Il re incarnated as Roar Prez? lol

I think a vote of Roar members is in order on the issue of tires in 1/10th classes. A short course rule shouldn't automatically be imposed on another class in my opinion.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racecrafter
Yes I see the "cost factor" in that you can run a set of tires until they shred themselves in two. No problem.

But when a track that is known for NOT using slicks all of a sudden one or two factory pros run Dremeled down slicks and are a tenth faster now do you think that a majority of the racers are going to;

A: Think they are crazy..

B: Scramble for their Dremels...

C: Get upset that they just bought $40 (or more) in tires that they will now have to spend time to make just so they can keep up for this one event and one track (if ever again)? AND.. maybe for only one qualifier?

The attitude of a new/sportsman racer will not tolerate this and will disappear. Then more than likely complain on a forum that "I went to a ROAR race (of course which will be ROAR's fault) and they allowed guys to cut up and grind on their tires which I could only run for that one event and not at any other tracks in my area.

ROAR affiliate tracks can run what ever they like. If slicks work on an everyday basis then fine for your local races.

And a last thought for this post.

Why is it illegal to drive with slicks on public roads?

Is it because laws are written by the tire manufacturers so the public will spend more money on tires? No. It it because there are only a hand full of good enough drivers that can drive on worn down tires and the majority of the driving public cannot and thus is in place for their safety? Yes.

So it's about safety for the majority. Which in R/C equally relates to the safety of keeping our hobby of racing r/c alive. Not though tire sales through the process of keeping people involved.
ok not to pick but this bothers me, the reason slicks are not allowed on streets is due to water issues, with no sipping the water builds up a cushion if you will that limits the effect of traction from slicks. overseas when they run a race with real cars if it rains they change to a slick with the afore mentioned siping. given good conditions a slick tire gives so much grip compared to a d.o.t. legal tire its not even funny. and yes i have driven both as i grew up in souther nevada racing at the bull ring at las vegas motor speedway. and all a tire maker has to do is create a rc version of d.o.t. legal slick tires with a small band of tread to get it approved. if you go to any tire or speed shop im sure they can explain this better with pictures. all im saying here is that it is about saftey but your reasoning is all wrong, its not about the experiance of the drivers that make slicks not road legal, its all in the design of the tire. notice they stop nascar when it rains? so if any reps from tire companies read this put a 1/2 inch or so section into a slick tire and call it off road using pins. and if roar dose not allow this please site back to the officals remarks about real cars and slick tires and d.o.t. legal slicks. the dot legal ones are road legal pal, so if a slick tire is made for rc with a strip of pins in the center by your logic it should be legal from your point of slicks are not road legal for real cars. if roar dose not allow a tire comparable to d.o.t. tires for rc cars then their left hand has no clue on the right hands doings.

so using roar logic and real tires since they threw that out

here is a banned tire

here is the roar version of a legal real car tire

and here is the tire that would pass roars rule since it has legal tread for real cars, all that is needed is to make this tire for rc cars. if the rules are open to interpet by officals then by what was said here is that this would be a roar legal tire if it was for rc and marketed as a rc off road/short course ect tire.

have a good one all.

one other thing Racecrafter, please have some reasoning behind why slicks are not allowed on the streets just assuming that it is the people variable in the equation is nowhere near the correct reasoning. also a history book is handy the first years of cars saw slick tires becouse they didnt know any better way to make them. honestly it just makes you look under informed/uninformed.

Last edited by Crashbox; 12-22-2011 at 05:30 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RCmayor
I think a vote of Roar members is in order on the issue of tires in 1/10th classes. A short course rule shouldn't automatically be imposed on another class in my opinion.
At least a vote of the Executive Committee like it states in the ROAR By-Laws.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

This thread is still active?
Old 12-22-2011, 01:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

TTT
Old 12-22-2011, 06:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 209 (99%+)

That's all folks...move along.