Wiki Posts
Search

POST If you run Smoothies

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trashedmaxx
A local racer makes traction compound that most of the guys run. Some run zip free and other available traction compounds. We found that petroleum based products affected the track surface to much to keep running it. After a few weeks the track would be slick and greasy for everyone no matter what you ran.
hmm.... I used to run slicks at comp in tucson, az and we never had an issue with it doing that. I think we ran 12 weeks per layout, 3 nights a week.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:49 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trashedmaxx
A local racer makes traction compound that most of the guys run. Some run zip free and other available traction compounds. We found that petroleum based products affected the track surface to much to keep running it. After a few weeks the track would be slick and greasy for everyone no matter what you ran.
That can happen on clay, our track doesn't allow tire dope at our big race. Theres plenty of traction anyways! If you can run slicks, there sure is plenty!
Panther SS compounds ground down or losi pink compounds seem to do the best IMHO as a slick.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:38 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

yes, slicks

I have tried the panther and they are good in the corner but suck for forward bite compared to hand ground smoothies. I even broke them in on asphalt
Old 11-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Spray motor spray on the tire and then light it on fire and spin it till it goes out. This was a trick an old timer told me to do to soften a clay compound tire. Is this still common practice?
Old 11-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I take a dremel with a sanding drum to the panthers and rough them up really quick, done.