Search

Who here has had a Lipo fire occur?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by littlevette
sorry to ressurect an old thread.

i always thought discharging a lipo to 0.00v was a no-no.

and what's the solution to a puffed lipo? don't you discharge the lipo enough that you recharge it at 85% (or less) capacity on your charger? not a 100% charge. which would furthur damage the lipo, or blowing it up? or is the lipo done for after it's been puffed?
if lipo is puffed, then i wouldn't want to risk running it. other electronics are more expensive than a puffed lipo

i leave the puffed lipo in a tub of concentrated salt water to allow it to self-discharge, albeit very slowly. i usually leave it there for a few months
Old 10-17-2012, 07:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey, sorry to resurrect a zombie thread. I've dealt with LiPos for years. I have a lot of electric RC planes a couple of quadcopters and a hexacopter. I have tons of LiPos. I've always heard of the dangers as well, but never witnessed it for myself until earlier this year. I had bought some cheaper 3S 2200mah LiPos for one of my quadcopters. I charged it up, did a 5 or 6 minute flight with it, and brought it inside for whatever reason. Maybe because it was about 5 degrees outside my house here in Alaska. Anyways, I set it on the kitchen counter where it sat for well over an hour while I was in the living room. It seemed fine and wasn't even warm when I took it off my quadcopter. Anyways, I heard a scary whistling sound and ran in the kitchen and there were serious two foot, blow torch like flames coming out of the LiPo! There was also thick smoke coming out if it. I managed to grab the charge lead and fling it into the sink where it continued to do the blow torch thing! It was scary and my wife was seriously pissed. The heat was enough to warp the metal in the sink and it burned the top of the counter top. I had to have both of them replaced. I still have no idea why it caught fire. It just did. Maybe it was dropped by the post man or something? I didn't drop it. Anyways, I only use good chargers, double check everything, charge in my garage and keep my batteries in ammo cans. I charge in ammo cans as well.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:07 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You realize the electric off-road section of rctech is for electric off-road cars and trucks? Typical crew chief.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R.Shackleford
You realize the electric off-road section of rctech is for electric off-road cars and trucks? Typical crew chief.
But his post has to do with a lipo fire. Maybe he did a forum search and wanted to share his story about his lipo fire. Please step down off of your high horse. Every post I have seen from you(while helpful as they are) still reek of "I am better than you and you are wrong and here is why". Stop nit-picking every post.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

All the lipo fire danger talks is a bit amusing. I'm not saying things can't or don't go wrong but lipos are in a lot of stuff, this hobby is not a breakthrough technology for lipos... They are mass produced to the lowest bidder everyday to be put into laptops and cell phones and many other daily electronics...now sure these devices have preventative measures built in but so should our chargers and vehicles when properly setup. If your lipo can take the abuse of your less then stellar driving abilities off road, on road, flying whatever it may be, what would make you so nervous after all that to keep you up at night? These are not just ticking time bombs just waiting to go boom in your house...there will always be some rare cases of things just gone wrong but you never really get the full story on what led to or what really happend. I'm not saying its not good practice to maybe be cautious with them as things can go wrong if misused but the whole reputation of being little bombs just going off for no reason is a bit far fetched to me...
Old 10-18-2012, 04:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Since this thread is running again I will add that if you are worried about random fires from a stored lipo (which I have never heard of one burning that was not hooked up to something). You can get a surplus metal ammo can at and simply lock them in, if one goes you will loose the set you have together, but it should keep the fire in check as it will starve a fire of oxygen before it is hot enough to escape the can.

Just an idea I saw out there once, and for a small price it is a good way to store and transport a lipo. Plus people might wonder why you have a case of 7.62 NATO at the track

I guess if you were really anal and a lipo bag was not good enough for you it would be possible to rig a harness that is tapped into the ammo box to charge in there too.