R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Tire Removal (Step By Step, How To) (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/562684-tire-removal-step-step-how.html)

dtr 07-05-2012 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by CHIZZLE (Post 10939331)
I don't see why anyone would do this to reuse the tires. The tires are the wear item. Once they're worn out, cut them off, keep the foam(if closed cell) and chuck the tires. If you HAVE to switch foams for some reason, you can cut one sidewall, replace the foam and glue the tire back to itself. It's a little tricky but it can be done.

Well, I tried new type of wheel but they cracked during the first race, with barely any wear on the tires.

elv 07-11-2012 02:14 PM

Beware: I tried the Acetone method on my Tamiya Mini rims and after 24 hrs of soaking all that was left were shards of rubber. The rims had completely dissolved :eek:

-e

pmac 07-11-2012 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by elv (Post 10962704)
Beware: I tried the Acetone method on my Tamiya Mini rims and after 24 hrs of soaking all that was left were shards of rubber. The rims had completely dissolved :eek:

-e

I put some touring car wheels over acetone last night and after 12 hours it seems to have melted the wheels. The rubber seems intact. I had cracked the rims after a few hits in the walls but it looks like nothing may be usable after trying to get the ruber off to stick on new rims.

Integra 07-11-2012 06:48 PM

I don't see why anyone would do this to reuse the tires. The tires are the wear item. Once they're worn out, cut them off, keep the foam(if closed cell) and chuck the tires. If you HAVE to switch foams for some reason, you can cut one sidewall, replace the foam and glue the tire back to itself. It's a little tricky but it can be done.

Broken Rim Perhaps, Ive had to do it Many of time's to Crappy JC truggy wheels(old version) that have less than a 6 min quali on them.

.crispy 09-15-2012 07:11 AM

Wish I'd found this thread before I dissolved my Tamiya wheels! ;)

Grasschopper 09-15-2012 07:41 AM

Personally I bought a lot of used "once" wheels and tires for my B4.1 and the glue job was horrendous. I'm soaking them to get everything apart and reusing the tires which are near new and the wheels as well. The foams are toast...not sure what this gluer did but man did he butcher this glue job.

RC10Nick 09-15-2012 09:03 AM

there are a few times when you need to get a tire off and want to reuse it. Before I knew about +3mm offset wheels for the sc10 4x4, I had a set of new tires mounted on standard offset wheels. I wanted the +3 offset wheels, but didn't want to waste a set of wheels/foams. I ended up baking them off and everything worked out fine :D (I live in an apartment by myself. Nobody's gonna be whining about the smell)

getloose 03-18-2013 09:32 AM

I primarily use boling to remove tires. I have a set that's worn almost bald but the red aka inserts are still good. how do they react to boiling? jc closed cell are fine to boil.but prolines blue foam tends to shrink a lot.

ta_man 03-18-2013 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by getloose (Post 11944040)
I primarily use boling to remove tires. I have a set that's worn almost bald but the red aka inserts are still good. how do they react to boiling? jc closed cell are fine to boil.but prolines blue foam tends to shrink a lot.

I don't know how AKA red inserts react to boiling, but they are unaffected by acetone vapors. I just removed a set of SC city blocks from wheels and neither tire nor liner was affected.

bigbeej 03-18-2013 11:25 AM

If you take the same 2.5 or 5 gallon bucket and put a few inch layer of small rock like river rock or gravel in the bottom then fill it with the acetone so it is about a 1/2 inc to an inch away from the top of the rock. Then set the wheels on the rocks (not touching the acetone) cover and let sit for a day or two it will do the same thing with much less if any chance of ruining the foams. The vapors are enough to break the glue free.