Old 03-16-2012, 12:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Any time.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:33 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Originally Posted by heavyjeffd
Arms depend on how rough you are on stuff.

Upper arms if you are going to use the stock ones.

Might want to get some extra springs (in case you bust a shock end and the spring goes flying off into never-never land).

That's about it really. I haven't broken anything else.
Originally Posted by BLbound
Shock shafts & hinge pins are always good to have spare of.
Thanks guys for the info! Is it a good idea to pick up the Kyosho blue springs I've heard everyone talk about? If so, does anyone have the part number?

Thanks
Old 03-16-2012, 09:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default chassis braces

I am discouraged!!!
This chassis has a lot of flex, and when you case jumps like I do you tend to break stuff!!!
First I broke the rear brace and replaced it with AE aluminum. Then I broke the front brace and again replaced it with AE aluminum. Problem: the screw kept 'stripping' out of rear brace at chassis (yes it had loctite, blue). Yet it remained a problem. So like anyone else, I used red loctite, but it became loose once again, and when I tried backing it out, of course the head popped off...Oh by the way, the head of the screw started to make 'a bigger hole in the chassis', like it was trying to pull thru.

Can anyone tell me the benefits of the BCE chassis!? Waiting on a response from them as well.

I am also looking into the use of a 'better' chassis brace for my hard driving style. I like the Kings Headz version because they actually use a capture nut. The Fioroni is... well.. they are different. Does anyone have any input on this?? What about these spring flex?

Last edited by Drew Jensen; 03-16-2012 at 09:35 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 03-16-2012, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tom2tone
Thanks guys for the info! Is it a good idea to pick up the Kyosho blue springs I've heard everyone talk about? If so, does anyone have the part number?

Thanks
I tried the Kyosho blues and ended up going back to AE silvers. I think most people like them because they are a touch longer.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Drew Jensen
I am discouraged!!!
This chassis has a lot of flex, and when you case jumps like I do you tend to break stuff!!!
First I broke the rear brace and replaced it with AE aluminum. Then I broke the front brace and again replaced it with AE aluminum. Problem: the screw kept 'stripping' out of rear brace at chassis (yes it had loctite, blue). Yet it remained a problem. So like anyone else, I used red loctite, but it became loose once again, and when I tried backing it out, of course the head popped off...Oh by the way, the head of the screw started to make 'a bigger hole in the chassis', like it was trying to pull thru.

Can anyone tell me the benefits of the BCE chassis!? Waiting on a response from them as well.

I am also looking into the use of a 'better' chassis brace for my hard driving style. I like the Kings Headz version because they actually use a capture nut. The Fioroni is... well.. they are different. Does anyone have any input on this?? What about these spring flex?
To be honest, if you are hitting stuff THAT hard, no chassis or chassis brace is going to save you.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

To be honest, if you are hitting stuff THAT hard, no chassis or chassis brace is going to save you.
Okay, I was being somewhat sarcastic about the hard driving, but I'm not the only one who has broken the plastic braces. I am just looking for alternatives and want to find out what others have used. That's all.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:46 AM
Tech Elite

I've broken plastic braces, but very few. I only broke the rear until I realized it was touching the battery tray and that was pushing on it causing it to break. I haven't broken one since.

I've never broken one on my nitro 8.2.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Okay, I was being somewhat sarcastic about the hard driving, but I'm not the only one who has broken the plastic braces. I am just looking for alternatives and want to find out what others have used. That's all.
Go with the king headz braces....awesome.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

I am discouraged!!!

Drew - The AE aluminum braces are great, I don't see a need in spending a lot of money on King Headz or Fioroni. Did you use the little plastic inserts for the braces? They act like a lock nut and help to keep the screw in place. Also when using thread lock make sure you allow for plenty of curing time and you should not have a problem at all. I use blue thread lock w/ the included inserts and have never had a problem. I also inspect all screws after each run as well.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Tech Elite

If he is hitting stuff so hard he's making a bigger hole in the chassis with the screw I don't think any brace will help to be honest. :/
Old 03-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have been racing 1/8 escale since the rc8e came out. I have converted it each new model and it's now a full rc8.2e to the manual exactly. I have never broken a chassis brace let alone make the hole bigger on the chassis. This is nothing wrong with the 8.2e chassis. These are bigger cars that can take more abuse then my 1/10 cars. But there is still a limit of abuse they can take. I personally have never seen anything happen to the AE chassis like he said happen to him. Sounds like a fluke or a extremely hard crash.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Doug D
Drew - The AE aluminum braces are great, I don't see a need in spending a lot of money on King Headz or Fioroni. Did you use the little plastic inserts for the braces? They act like a lock nut and help to keep the screw in place. Also when using thread lock make sure you allow for plenty of curing time and you should not have a problem at all. I use blue thread lock w/ the included inserts and have never had a problem. I also inspect all screws after each run as well.
Thanks Doug. Originally I did not use the plastic insert, My bad not AE's. Another thing is why doesn't AE include a screw sized for the install. The screw I used was not the best I admit, but I did have to cut it down some. So when I first installed it I used incorrectly sized (length) hardware and cheap material, and didn't use the included plastic insert and the damage was done. After that I did use the insert and allowed the thread lock time to dry. But still cheap screws!! I have now had to modify the brace similar to the KH brace out of the AE part. It may hold together now, of course its weakened some. I do like the idea of a "capture locking nut". I didn't want to buy alternative hardware for this car (i.e., Kyosho blue springs) or aftermarket parts, but sometimes we need to work outside the box. I haven't had a problem out of the front at all except for the plastic brace breaking. And I did install it correctly and with more durable material.

Don't anyone get me wrong, I love this car!! Parts are affordable, and it handles great. Other than the braces I have not had any other breakage issues.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Smile

I've broken plastic braces, but very few. I only broke the rear until I realized it was touching the battery tray and that was pushing on it causing it to break. I haven't broken one since.

I've never broken one on my nitro 8.2.
I have dremeled out the tray where it was touching the brace, of course I didn't realize it until after I had already installed the aluminum brace. And yes the install wasn't perfect. My belief is that when the screw backed out some and I was still running it, that there was some slop and the strain was wearing a hole in the chassis itself. I almost want to say it was beginning to pull thru. Obviously, these parts have been tested extensively by other drivers before they are sent to the market, but I was surprised at how the chassis wore so quickly.

So my question still stands. What are the aftermarket chassis's like? I'm not going to go out and buy one right away until this one is destroyed...lol
However knowledge is grand
Old 03-16-2012, 06:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Talking

If he is hitting stuff so hard he's making a bigger hole in the chassis with the screw I don't think any brace will help to be honest. :/
Tell this to the guy that is building our tracks, lmao

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.