Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree452Likes

Carpet Off-road Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 03:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Open cell in back. No foams in front on a 2 wheeler.

Carpet tires hard enough you don’t need harder foams and the fronts
with foams make the tire suck and feel weird.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey guys, i just got into carpet buggies and some how ended up with both a used YZ2 CA with exotek direct drive, gull front end, trinity 17.5 motor, HW 60a ESC a savox servo and lay down trans setup

I also just got in a trade a Xray XB2 2017 with a Fantom 13.5 120a HW esc and also a savox servo and also the exotex direct drive

My question is, which is the better car over all, i haven't driven the xray yet but i have the yz and i like but i have no real comparison .

I know they are both older and probably not as competitive as the new offerings but tbh i don't plan on racing much, so i do find it funny i ended up with 2 carpet buggies...lol

So thoughts?
Thanks!
Old 01-29-2019, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Those that are running the B6, have you run weights up front from brass bulkhead, servo and esc weights. Is there a benefit for using weight in bulkhead over esc or servo? Are you running all or just one spot? Im trying to decide which weights to try first as oppose to buy them all and seeing what I like. Wonder if the geometry will be different running same weight but different location.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 2nd Annual Top Gun Carpet Off Road Shootout at SBRC/The rug

We would like to thank everyone that came out and joined us for our 2nd Annual Top Gun Carpet Off Road Shootout. We had a record crowd for our facility with 104 entries, 19 heats, and 18 mains! Head over to https://m.facebook.com/SBRCHobbies/ for our results, podium, and race pictures!
Old 01-30-2019, 05:00 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rsxskyd
Those that are running the B6, have you run weights up front from brass bulkhead, servo and esc weights. Is there a benefit for using weight in bulkhead over esc or servo? Are you running all or just one spot? Im trying to decide which weights to try first as oppose to buy them all and seeing what I like. Wonder if the geometry will be different running same weight but different location.
Answered you post on the B6 thread
Old 02-21-2019, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Phillip F
carpet racers.. carpet track SCVRC I race at close down so all my brand new stash of carpet tires are for sale or for trade.
check it. TRADE/SELL: NIP Carpet Tires/Inserts FOR NIP Clay Tires

This is SCVRC carpet track that closed down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahpUFxpo-ac
Thats where I went when I lived in LA. Class facility with parts for all of the popular cars, will be a huge loss.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:38 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by celt
Here's the thing...being essentially a slick, they don't have that violent rip out of the corners that a pinned tire has - only makes sense. With that said, on gray ozite, they don't over power the front staggered ribs either. I found that on our ozite, with pinned rears, the extreme push was intolerable.

The most important attribute about this combination is that it creates an extremely balanced chassis in terms of grip. Almost as important, they wear like iron and DO NOT change as they wear like a pinned tire - very, very consistent. You get a very slight push, with the rear locked it, but at extreme high speed 180's a gentle and controllable four wheel slide - no traction rolling at all. Very, very nice to drive.

Be mindful that I'm talking about old school gray ozite, I have no experience running the Venom 88's on any other surface. If this is your surface, I've not run a more balanced combo, and I've tried most every rubber tire I can find. Standard fare slicks like JC Smoothies, ProLine Primes, AKA Slicks...all work well, but the carcasses are too thin for longevity in my opinion - like running on a balloon after a few runs.

Venon 88's in white compound
ProLine rear wheels
ProLine blue closed cell inserts
Does it matter which way you run them as long as it is the same left to right as they look directional. I would guess the "T" section should be to the rear if that makes sense.
Cain likes this.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Noob question: people refer to "black carpet" & "grey carpet" as if the color determines traction characteristics. Yet I could easily imagine tracks having identical surfaces in different colors. Is there some kind of purpose-made carpet for r/c tracks that comes in certain colors depending on composition or something?
Old 05-16-2019, 07:35 AM
Tech Adept

The Grey carpet is an older version of the CRC racing carpet it works very well. The Black carpet is a newer version of the CRC carpet, this rug offers higher traction. That is why you see racers using different setups on each rug and specifying which rug is being used.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by big ted
Noob question: people refer to "black carpet" & "grey carpet" as if the color determines traction characteristics. Yet I could easily imagine tracks having identical surfaces in different colors. Is there some kind of purpose-made carpet for r/c tracks that comes in certain colors depending on composition or something?
I believe it's a generic reference to two common carpet types. If you look at generic "Gray Ozite" and generic "Black Ozite" closely, they have slightly different pile and base stitching forms. That being said, you could find places that would sell you either type in a lot of different colors.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:54 PM
Tech Rookie

What can I expect running a center diff vs no center diff on carpet? Since traction isn’t really an issue I am thinking the center diff isn’t necessary. Will it have much effect on turning and jumping characteristics? Maybe run a center diff with something thick in it like 50k? I’m running a 4x4 slash, but any 4x4 feedback should point me in the right direction.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:40 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snowboundrmk
What can I expect running a center diff vs no center diff on carpet? Since traction isn’t really an issue I am thinking the center diff isn’t necessary. Will it have much effect on turning and jumping characteristics? Maybe run a center diff with something thick in it like 50k? I’m running a 4x4 slash, but any 4x4 feedback should point me in the right direction.
from what I am seeing after last race running a center diff in my 4wd buggy, the center diff can make for a car that is a bit easier to control and if your surface is bumpy at all a bit more forgiving. From what I am hearing others say, they feel a bit more consistent with the center diff.

That said, the slipper from what I recall feels more direct.

Thinking of some venom 88s for stadium trucks, 4wd style. Anyone use those and have a recommendation on inserts and compound if an option?
Old 10-07-2019, 05:13 PM
Tech Adept

[img]blob:https://www.rctech.net/e46afbbf-e807-4ba4-80c1-9651c3dd0207[/img]
Old 10-12-2019, 04:40 PM
Tech Addict

Anyone running 4WD SCT on carpet? It's going to be my first year running this.I see lots of drivers running front mini pins with several rows nipped off. Is there a reason we are not just using a Wedge/Cut Stagger/Swagger style front tire?

I race on a short to medium pile office style carpet used for robotic competitions, tons of traction. Minipins pretty common as the go to tire among all classes.

Anyone running a Tekno SCT410.3? There is no company carpet setup, just astroturf. The only setup I saw in the Tekno owner's Facebook group was very wild and unique, looking to poll some additional people for ideas.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:56 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Devin
Anyone running 4WD SCT on carpet? It's going to be my first year running this.I see lots of drivers running front mini pins with several rows nipped off. Is there a reason we are not just using a Wedge/Cut Stagger/Swagger style front tire?

I race on a short to medium pile office style carpet used for robotic competitions, tons of traction. Minipins pretty common as the go to tire among all classes.

Anyone running a Tekno SCT410.3? There is no company carpet setup, just astroturf. The only setup I saw in the Tekno owner's Facebook group was very wild and unique, looking to poll some additional people for ideas.
the setup they have for astro if I recall correctly I didnt change too much when running on the grey carpet.

For tires I really liked the Associated tires that came with the SC10 4x4, they offered just the right amount of grip and got better as they wore. we have a tire rule limitation here, but was quite happy with them and would have even ran them if carpet tires were legal.
Devin likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.