Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whats the best 2wd electric buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 01:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Instead of asking peoples opinion's, why not just get the buggy that has won every world championship since it came out in 2003, the RC10B4? I think the results speak for itself.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Briguy
I would check what is being ran at the track and what your track and hobby shop carry for parts . Nothing worse than not being able to race because of waiting for parts to come in the mail .

Other than that , Losi for Life !
Unfortunately, my hobby shop stocks mostly TRAXXAS : (
Old 10-08-2011, 07:16 AM
Tech Rookie

Find a new Hobby Shop!
Old 10-08-2011, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I guess to answer your question I need to ask a few questions...
1- Are you just testing the waters so to speak with racing??
2- do you already have the needed equipment to support buying a race class kit??(batteries,charger,radio,esc,motor)
3- what is your budget?

The reasons I ask is 2wd buggy is the 'elite" class for drivers..Not saying to avoid it,because starting with a 2wd buggy WILL make a better driver out of you than say starting off with a SCT simply because with open wheels it is a "no contact" type of class requiring a no contact driving style, so If you KNOW you are in racing for the long haul this IS where I would start..

For parts support I would say either the AE or losi buggy,(even a XXX-CR)would be the way to go.

BUT if you are just testing the waters to see if you will like racing there are less expensive brands that will give you the chance to see if you like it without investing a ton of money...Like Electrix,duratrax,team C, ETC..

Be warned of one thing, however...To run stock requires some class specific electronics..A good 17.5, and an esc that either has fixed timing, or a "blinky" mode on the speedo.Talk with the race director at the track and find out exactly what the rules for the class are before you buy.will save you some headache in the long run for sure!!
Old 10-08-2011, 09:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by 2wdMod
I guess to answer your question I need to ask a few questions...
1- Are you just testing the waters so to speak with racing??
2- do you already have the needed equipment to support buying a race class kit??(batteries,charger,radio,esc,motor)
3- what is your budget?

The reasons I ask is 2wd buggy is the 'elite" class for drivers..Not saying to avoid it,because starting with a 2wd buggy WILL make a better driver out of you than say starting off with a SCT simply because with open wheels it is a "no contact" type of class requiring a no contact driving style, so If you KNOW you are in racing for the long haul this IS where I would start..

For parts support I would say either the AE or losi buggy,(even a XXX-CR)would be the way to go.

BUT if you are just testing the waters to see if you will like racing there are less expensive brands that will give you the chance to see if you like it without investing a ton of money...Like Electrix,duratrax,team C, ETC..

Be warned of one thing, however...To run stock requires some class specific electronics..A good 17.5, and an esc that either has fixed timing, or a "blinky" mode on the speedo.Talk with the race director at the track and find out exactly what the rules for the class are before you buy.will save you some headache in the long run for sure!!
I have bashed with nitro rc stuff, but I race full size cars and fully understand the technical aspects as far as the setup and driving is concerned. I have no racing equipment but I plan on getting a spektrum radio system to go with whichever buggy I get. I want to be in a fast, competitive class, that is why i am looking towards the buggy.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hakmazter
Is there a reason why you want to start in 2wd buggy? In general it is a technical and fast class so you might want to consider 2wd short course instead? They are more durable, easier to drive, etc...

But if you have your heart set on a 2wd buggy there isn't necessarily a "best" that is easily answerable.
Go with the Losi XXX-SCB, durability of the short course trucks but with better handling. I did not like driving my short course truck. I always preferred my 2wd or 4wd buggy. Now that I have a XXX-SCB it is my only off road car.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stealthpilot
Instead of asking peoples opinion's, why not just get the buggy that has won every world championship since it came out in 2003, the RC10B4? I think the results speak for itself.
Wouldn't that be like advising someone to get themselves some 3000mah nimh packs and a good 14-double and some bowtie tires?
Old 10-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Racing089
Hi, I'm fairly new to this hobby and I just discovered a local track that I'm interested in racing at. I see their is an electric 2wd buggy (stock) class that I'd like to race in but I don't know which buggy I should chose. Help please?
My advise would be to, instead of asking generically like you have because all you're going to do is attract brand-whore responses, would be to do some reading of the different brands' individual discussions on this forum, check out who's running what at your local track, and do a little self-educating so you can make an informed decision, instead of making one based on what people are telling you that you don't know, and who could be little tommy that lives down the end of your block whose experience is based on running up and down the street in front of your house.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

drivers driving the b4 have won world championships since '03...unless i missed the memo that cars drive themselves now
Old 10-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I have bashed with nitro rc stuff, but I race full size cars and fully understand the technical aspects as far as the setup and driving is concerned. I have no racing equipment but I plan on getting a spektrum radio system to go with whichever buggy I get. I want to be in a fast, competitive class, that is why i am looking towards the buggy.
Well you will be well prepared then,LOL..Go with either the B4.1, the durango, or the new losi..for speedo , you cant go wrong with a tekin rs in stock class paired with a 17.5 of your choice..also for 17.5 class look at good batteries 50c or more.

I personally am looking at the new durango dex 210 buggy reallly hard
Old 10-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 104 (100%+)

id go with kyosho rb5. I ran the b4 rb5 and 22. After all three i went beck to the rb5. The shocks and tranny are amazing. Parts are quality and will last a long time.

The b4 has won so many because they had tebo cav and maifield racing for them. Now tebo is with kyo and its doing just as well, whoever wins is pretty much a toss up between those three. Think about it, the best racer at your track could run any brand and still win.

I hate the b4 bc of the steering rack/servo savor cheap shocks and cheap plastics. The way they have the steering set up is a joke and you will have problems with it. Always slips unless you glue it together or get an alum 1 peice one.

22 is good if you run it mid, pretty durable, but the diff sucks and the outdrives wear pretty quick. I really liked the mid set up because of the balance. any time you can put all the weight in the middle between the wheels it will handle better.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:07 PM
Tech Addict

Kyosho RB5 SP2 .. Quality.. Durability.. It doesn't come out of the box slopped out.. It's forgiving to drive.. and it has the best shocks

It is the best 2wd buggy available.. and a WC edition is about to drop
Old 10-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I say

Tamiya Grasshopper

j/k I would say wait for the RB5 SP2 WC to come out and get it
Old 10-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Tech Initiate

The Kyosho is a little out of my price range. I'm leaning towards the B4.1 with an 8mm extended chassis. Any reason NOT to go this route?
Old 10-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

The Kyosho is a little out of my price range. I'm leaning towards the B4.1 with an 8mm extended chassis. Any reason NOT to go this route?
This is coming from a guy that is buying a Durango 210. But you are making a good choice with the B4.1. Alot of setups out there so you dont get lost. Parts availability is there. My only worry is that it will be out dated with a new release coming from associated. The B4.1 will be one of the only competitive 2wd buggys out there that does not come with big bores. And they will be coming out with a long chassis soon. My .02.

To be honest BUY Used!!! Tons of great deals out there to help the budget

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.