Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22T Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 11:17 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Makes sense, just a bummer they are giving up on ST racing.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SoCalMX
I would say the market is largely giving up on ST and they are following the market. It will be interesting to see how 2wd SCT goes because it seems to me like that class revived the hobby but now people are migrating back to the buggy classes...hopefully to ST as well. At the track where I raced last indoor season we struggled to get ST every week...probably 50% of the time. 4wd buggy seems to be catching back on and I just picked up a 22T, hoping to help revive that class as I hate the SCTs
Old 05-13-2014, 11:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

+1. I myself have been waiting on a TLR 22T 2.0 to be announced since plans for a local indoor 1/10th track have been made. I held off on the 22T as it was discontinued so soon after its short run, expecting a ver 2.0 to soon follow.

So it's looking like I may have to begin a search for a gently used ver 1 roller or maybe hunt down a new old stock kit.....
Old 05-13-2014, 04:48 PM
Tech Adept

4WD short course seems to be thriving in my area at least, still my main focus. Whats strange is the people at my track who run both buggy and stadium trucks say the ST is most fun to drive! Go figure...Oh well, I will make the best with my new 22T and hope they make a comeback!
Old 05-13-2014, 08:26 PM
Tech Adept

around here. SDRC, In San Deigo. We have TONS of stock buggy. Had a expert class and a reg class with 11 cars in it. 4WD SC is almost completely dead, and SC is dying down some. ST stock class is getting a full heat in regular with a mod or 2 mixed in. Wish this would pic back up but after recently buying a used 22T I am kinda soso on the kit. May buy a T5 if and when they come out with one.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grasschopper
I would say the market is largely giving up on ST and they are following the market. It will be interesting to see how 2wd SCT goes because it seems to me like that class revived the hobby but now people are migrating back to the buggy classes...hopefully to ST as well. At the track where I raced last indoor season we struggled to get ST every week...probably 50% of the time. 4wd buggy seems to be catching back on and I just picked up a 22T, hoping to help revive that class as I hate the SCTs
I think it's a very bad mis-read by TLR. Stadium Truck is our most popular class in the winter series. We had to the D-main for club races this winter. Yes, the 22T is super difficult to tune and drive but ST just needs a little bit of marketing by TLR and the others to be one of the most popular classes. I'll be racing it next year for sure.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:16 PM
Tech Adept

@ slap, How much time do you have on yours & what do you mean by so so? I will be running mine for the first time tomorrow.

@ gticlay, do you happen to ride mountain bikes? There is a user with the same name on the MTB forums!
Old 05-13-2014, 09:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by gticlay
I think it's a very bad mis-read by TLR. Stadium Truck is our most popular class in the winter series. We had to the D-main for club races this winter. Yes, the 22T is super difficult to tune and drive but ST just needs a little bit of marketing by TLR and the others to be one of the most popular classes. I'll be racing it next year for sure.
If you have difficulty tuning it I don't know what to say. I ran box setup mid motor and the truck drives like a dream. If only my 22 2.0 drove as planted as the truck. Not to mention the mid motor truck has been spanking the rear motor setups at my track. I think I am the only mid motor truck which is funny because other racers laughed at me when I told them I built it mid motor. The only complaint I have about this truck is the mid motor setup can only run one body. Haven't found any aftermarket bodies I can use without major modifications.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:42 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Buy one and Race it... get the class going again.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

No problems tuning T, Unless you don't understand how camber links work. I hope TLR decides to keep ST there is nothing else really comparable, Nimble like a buggy but enough suspension to make up for small mistakes.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:21 AM
Tech Adept

Had my 22T at the track yesterday for the first time, super fun to drive. Coming from my short course truck which I had with me as well, the stock 17.5 Shuur speed isn't going to cut it, not yet at least. Not sure what gearing I should be running for indoor clay?

I have access to a Reedy 3300kv, would this be a decent gain in power over the 17.5? I am aware I wouldn't be able to race stock class with the Reedy, I know nothing about it is all.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:33 AM
Tech Elite

Had my 22T at the track yesterday for the first time, super fun to drive. Coming from my short course truck which I had with me as well, the stock 17.5 Shuur speed isn't going to cut it, not yet at least. Not sure what gearing I should be running for indoor clay?

I have access to a Reedy 3300kv, would this be a decent gain in power over the 17.5? I am aware I wouldn't be able to race stock class with the Reedy, I know nothing about it is all.
What ESC do you have in it? Sensored? I assume you're looking to race? Stock or Mod?

Personally if there was a stock ST class at my track I'd do that and get a good 17.5 motor. I run a Speed Passion V3 MMM 17.5 in my B5 and would either run another one of those, that or a Wurks R1.

What gearing are you running? I would avoid the Reedy 3300kv...I assume you're talking about the RTR motor from AE cars and trucks there which is un-sensored. I have one of those and the ESC as well out of a T4.1 RTR. Just sitting there and not going in any car I will ever use on a track.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:04 AM
Tech Adept

The Shuur speed 17.5 I have now is matched to a Hobbywing Xerun speed controller. Not sure on the gearing? What is the ideal gearing for a stocker?

The Reedy 3300kv motor is matched to a Associated SC700-BL esc that is uncensored I believe!? Is this not a good set up to switch to if I just want more power and don't want to race, just have more fun on the track while improving my times.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

The Shuur speed 17.5 I have now is matched to a Hobbywing Xerun speed controller. Not sure on the gearing? What is the ideal gearing for a stocker?

The Reedy 3300kv motor is matched to a Associated SC700-BL esc that is uncensored I believe!? Is this not a good set up to switch to if I just want more power and don't want to race, just have more fun on the track while improving my times.
Manual is suggesting 82/28 for 17.5 gearing but I'm not sure how real that is. It certainly will vary a bit with track, motor timing etc. I'd guess they are sticking with the stock 82t spur in their suggestions. There is a setup on Petitrc that uses a Schuur Speed 17.5 and he was running a 76t spur and 31t pinion.

If you just looking for more power and not racing I'd still skip the Reedy RTR crap and just get a hotter motor. You can get a SMC SM-1 for $50 and be as fast as you could ever want...just pick a number of turns you think you can handle. I've got an 8.5t in mine and turn down the throttle EPA to keep me under control.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:26 PM
Tech Adept

Ok, found out my 17.5 Shuur was turned down, I knew nothing about the adjustability of the motor, made all the difference, Damn newb, lol.... Now I will find out what gearing works best for my track when I get my brand new roller & swap parts around. Looks like the Reedy will go on feebay with the used setup. Thanks for the help grasschopper, go PSU & Steelers from all the way out West!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.