Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 22T Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 06:22 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by amithus
Hello everyone. I want to start off by saying that I'm just coming back from a 12 year absence from this hobby and I started racing again about 3 months ago. Stock slash and 17.5 stadium truck (open speedo though).

I bought a TLR22T kit and put it together and off of stock I have the following:
MIP Bypass shocks
TLR front suspension pivot
Exotech steering rack
5 deg caster hub carrier
Aluminum front kick and 25 deg brass weight on the front
All turnbuckles are traxxas captured turnbuckles other than the steering linkage
Avid slipper
TLR gear diff
Aluminum rear hubs
MIP CVD shafts

I have it in the mid motor layout as I run on carpet indoor with it and the gear diff has 3000 weight associate diff oil in it. I have Schumacher stagger ribs in the front with the inside and outside rows cut off and I have Schumacher X pins in the rear. All on AKA red inserts and TLR rims. When I enter a corner, lets say a 90 deg right hand turn, when I let off the power it enters the corner nicely, just a bit fast but not on the edge, as I cost through the corner about mid corner half the time I get a snap over steer that puts me almost to 180 deg from where I was going. It's a fast loss of control and being so many years away from this sport I know I'm not as smooth as I should be but I'm in control.

I have about 1.5 deg toe out in front and about 1 deg camber. 30deg total caster (25 on the kick and 5 on the hubs) Rear toe is 3deg in and I'm running the lrc 3 deg rear hanger. Suspension geometry isn't all messed up but without taking a picture I can say that my rear camber links are higher in the roll center.

At my local track there is a regional sponsored driver that told me to take it out of mid motor and put it in rear motor and to take the 3k diff fluid out of it and put in 30k. Now I know he's a better driver than I am but this goes against everything I've ever heard about mid motor and gear diff setup for carpet. His reasoning was that the stadium trucks don't need steering and that they have too much already so a rear motor and higher diff oil will take my snap over steer out. The over steer happens between costing and just starting to apply power. I'm not gunning it, I might be 1/4 throttle and this is a small, tight technical carpet track and I'm running boost and timing so it's a quick truck.

Soooo... What do you think my next steps are to solving this? I have the rear motor parts still thank god.
all of the upgrade or aftermarket parts you've added have me puzzled, because throwing a lot of cool parts aren't going to make your car faster and can often lead to handling problems someone new to the hobby aren't able to address on their own. the exotek steering is notorious for making the steering quicker while the slider rack slows it down and makes it more forgiving, so it would be my advice to change back.
in my opinion, just like with any change, parts should be changed one at a time so if something does lead to a problem you know what to remove to revert back to the stock part and get things back to normal.

also boost and timing is not something the uninitiated should be just doing out of practice, but instead out of experience so you know how it makes your car behave. in my experience small, tight, technical tracks are where boost and timing are of little advantage.

Sorry for the late reply. I own my own business so it's tough for me to get in front of my car with the business, wife and kid. Anyway, here we go.

Ride height is about 1" sorry for the lack of sure numbers here, the car is put away right now. Ride height is pretty level though if not exactly level.

Springs in the front are Losi White
Springs in the rear are Losi Yellow

I'm using MIP realshocks blue inserts only in front and rear. Valve is on the bottom for rebound not on the top for compression. The jumps that are in this track can be massive so I wanted as much pack as I can get on the compression and a faster rebound but maybe i'm wrong. Please advise.

27.5 weight front oil
30 weight rear oil

Gear diff at 3000

I've cut off the outer most and inner most rows of tread on the shumacher stagger rib tires, but I can cut off more if you think it will work. I see other guys that have it down to just the inner 3 ribs and the rest are cut off.

I also noticed on Friday when racing that my rear tires have wear only on the outside half of the rear tires not the whole tire. I'm using the X pin shumacher so from the X down the middle to the outside are getting worn but the X to the inside of the rear tires are basically brand new but I'm really not running any camber in the rear. It's like .5 deg inward camber on the rear tires if that.

Again, running on carpet with plywood jumps indoors on a tight track. no bumps but he does put in the occasional "rough carpet" in sections. The track is not available during the week to practice at and no other places in the twin cities where I live run carpet to practice at so going to an outdoor dirt track I don't feel, will help me with figuring out my setup. The most time I have is about 1 to 2 hours before racing then the 2 quals, some "practice" times between events that are too packed to really rip around and practice at and then the mains. So I'm desperate to get some help here.

Again, one of the locally sponsored guys here said that really no "pro" runs mid motor stadium truck because they don't need the steering but I get some of vehicle dynamics and don't feel that a rear motor setup will help in this situation. I feel that I have a bad setup in something like oil in shocks, springs or alignment.

He also said to pretty much lock up my diff which again, seems contrary to all that I've read about running on carpet where you pretty much want to run an open diff. I've even thought that 3000 may be too much but when I heard that I need help. i'm totally lost now. I don't have any extra weights anywhere on the truck but I do have the weight kit I can put on. Saddle packs so the batteries are pretty much in the middle. Servo and receiver up front, but it's a futaba receiver so it's about 6 grams or maybe 8 grams. ESC is on the battery brace in back by the motor.
just a couple of things I see straight off: your front shock springs and oils are too light, they should be higher than whatever you have in the rear, and you also appear to be running the mip shock valves intended for the buggy (blue) instead of those intended for the truck (beige/tan).
and finally, I think it's very poor advice you've received on the gear oil. 1000-3000 is rather typical. 30,000 is just going to lock the diff and exaggerate the problems you're already experiencing.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thank you! Parts on the vehicle were "suggested" by people, so this is what I wanted to know where to start. As for the light oil and valves, I was reading RC Handling on the internet and trying to apply some of the things I read there with regards to how the car was handling I was experimenting, looks like I went the wrong way. I'll switch out the steering rack and put the oil / springs / valves up a notch or two per your suggestions. I also figured the 30k diff oil was weird because pretty much everyone I read says open diff, that's why I decided to post, after hearing that I was completely lost.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:41 PM
Suspended

Thank you! Parts on the vehicle were "suggested" by people, so this is what I wanted to know where to start. As for the light oil and valves, I was reading RC Handling on the internet and trying to apply some of the things I read there with regards to how the car was handling I was experimenting, looks like I went the wrong way. I'll switch out the steering rack and put the oil / springs / valves up a notch or two per your suggestions. I also figured the 30k diff oil was weird because pretty much everyone I read says open diff, that's why I decided to post, after hearing that I was completely lost.
i wasn't saying all parts are bad, just saying to try the car with stock parts first and then add parts one by one so you know how they perform or if they don't work for you at all. throwing a whole lot of new parts on a new car you're not familiar with seldom works out. start off stock, and add a little by little.

found some set-ups you might want to compare to your own, including some on carpet > www (dot) petitrc.com/setup/losi/SetupSheetsLosiTwentyTwoT.html

one other thing I noticed was that you were using AKA red closed cell inserts, and it would be my advice being as the Schumacher tires are already very stiff to run a softer insert like standard white foams. running those harder inserts are just making your hard tires that much stiffer.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hey guys. Just picked up one of these used. Looking for a good set up for a medium size high bite indoor track.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)
Default setups

http://www.casper-rc.com/
Old 10-04-2013, 09:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

NM, found them.

Last edited by ufoDziner; 10-04-2013 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Found
Old 10-05-2013, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

setup question... Truck has too much initial steering, not enough mid corner, suggestions?
Old 10-05-2013, 06:41 PM
Tech Master

lay the front shocks over; inside on the tower.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

so i ran the 22t in midship on med to high bite and wow!
Better on power, especially in the sweeper it held the line like a tc
It also jumped much flatter
however didn't rotate as well on the one 180
So if you track has good traction and no 180s midship is way to go
Lots of 180s and tight track rear motor is better
Old 10-07-2013, 04:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AndrewTom
lay the front shocks over; inside on the tower.
ok, did that, it helped, but at the end of a high speed sweeper it still want to swap ends on me, maybe I need more rear traction, or less weight shift?
Old 10-07-2013, 05:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fivepointnine
ok, did that, it helped, but at the end of a high speed sweeper it still want to swap ends on me, maybe I need more rear traction, or less weight shift?
whats your kick & castor setting?
Old 10-07-2013, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AndrewTom
whats your kick & castor setting?
30 and 3 (box stock)
Old 10-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Tech Master

double post
Old 10-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

i have a 4degree rear block but i need a 3 degree...anyone wanna trade pm me?
Old 10-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Tech Master

Fivepointnine-
are you on-power or off-power when it breaks loose?
I run Caspers set up on my car, with a few tweeks.
http://www.petitrc.com/setup/losi/se...sper_20120924/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.