Wiki Posts
Search

Why don't people race rustlers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jasonwipf
My opinion is that it can't keep up, thats why nobody races it. At my track they are obstacles we try to avoid or hit and break. They are good for making hobby shops money when we brake them with our 1/8th scales or when they sell guys like you bunch of junk to soup it up only for it to be alone and not raced. Sorry.
Guys like you are why I drive an hour and a half to race instead of the track across town.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by marooko
Guys like you are why I drive an hour and a half to race instead of the track across town.
X2.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Tech Regular

Come now you 2, Play nice... i mean it's just opionion either you agree or dont, Let's be sportmen about this . About what was posted earlier, is it just me or are the race bred trucks more fragile, is it the driver or both.
Since i don't own or have even driven other trucks i want to know.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Race vehicles are indeed more fragile when you're talking 1/10 scale - they make use of more rigid (and therefore more brittle) components and also are made to be lightweight which as a result makes them thinner and weaker. Race vehicles are meant to be run with very few crashes/tube hits and no vehicle out there will really break on a normal jump landing. If you look at a T4 arm versus a Rustler arm, you will notice that the Rustler arm is much beefier, and is also a bit shorter. The racing truck arms are longer to get the vehicles to maximum width, but because of that there is more force on the hinge pins when you hit something, which also makes things break easier since there is a larger force on those breaking points.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:42 PM
Tech Adept

I like my Rusty,like it a lot in fact.One of the area track's allow's them in Truck/EDM so with a EZ Run 60a/4000kv on 2S it runs out real nice and is competitive and reliable.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:21 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the info carcrusher. I really havn't been able to look at other trucks. At our track the mood guys are running 13-14 laps. averag lap time 27-30 sec. I'm still working on it, and i know i probably won't be able to get there as stock class, but i've got it breaking into the 29's. There's not much more i can safely squeeze from the motor but i Think can get another second out of it. I will find out tomorrow. I will be interesting to see how much faster i could go if i had a race bred truck.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:58 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcboy1
your right. plus, some people can drive rustlers better due to their numb handling; i perform better with non race setups
Reading your post caused me to realize why everyone I race with hates my super loose set ups on my 1/8 buggy and 4x4 SCT. They have referred to my suspension, droop, and alignment settings as "numb" feeling around the track...but I like it and drive well that way. When I try to drive their cars I can't seem to hold my preferred line and have a tough time getting in and out of corners with any speed at all.

Not real related to the topic...sorry. But I now have a more valid defense when my setup is being relentlessly dogged out by my racing friends!

Thanks
Old 07-29-2011, 09:59 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

I have seen Rustys race, they are usually in the novice class but somebody has to start somewhere... But lately Novice class has just been a "sportsman" short course class though...
Old 07-29-2011, 10:08 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 202 (96%+)

Originally Posted by thecman26
I have seen Rustys race, they are usually in the novice class but somebody has to start somewhere... But lately Novice class has just been a "sportsman" short course class though...
+1, alot of novice racers run rustlers at our club races, our novice class is pretty much run anything as long as your a novice.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by prestondan
Reading your post caused me to realize why everyone I race with hates my super loose set ups on my 1/8 buggy and 4x4 SCT. They have referred to my suspension, droop, and alignment settings as "numb" feeling around the track...but I like it and drive well that way. When I try to drive their cars I can't seem to hold my preferred line and have a tough time getting in and out of corners with any speed at all.

Not real related to the topic...sorry. But I now have a more valid defense when my setup is being relentlessly dogged out by my racing friends!

Thanks
i totaally agrre. but to each their own.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:03 AM
Tech Regular

Our novice class is the same, Race what ever with almost no limitations, The one real limitation is if you are showing decent skill like lapiing everyone 2x then it's up to their decretion to move you out.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:16 AM
Tech Regular

I was able to get the Rustler 1 whole second faster, if even just for 1 heat. Last race I was just starting to break 29 sec. as fast lap maybe once or twice following that. This race i had average 29 sec for 5 laps and lost it when the ESC decided it needed to be reset. I fix that problem Qick Fast and in a Hurry. Between heats witched out the deans plugs for new ones and lost my groove. I couldn't handle the new power, Aperently i was looseing power through them, After the switch i kept doing wheelies down the front stretch and through the wash board. I have reached the safe limits on my motor, so there is some room for improvement but mecanically i have reached it for stock. I need to go to another track in the area to race more than just 1 truck in my class, I need to know just how well it can do.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

The rustler can be made to race with the big boys but takes alotta mods.

http://www.ultimatetraxxas.com/proje...imate-rustler/
Old 07-31-2011, 09:50 AM
Tech Regular

My Rusty has no mods I jsut brought up to date from the stone age.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Stock rusty is fine for novice class as the drivers tend to do more crashing